Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Met Eireann to publish Monthly Forecasts in 2020

Options
  • 26-12-2019 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/met-eireann-looks-at-monthly-weather-forecasts-in-wake-of-a-quiet-revolution-38813055.html
    Met Éireann will examine publishing monthly forecasts on its website in 2020, according to its head of forecasting Evelyn Cusack.

"We don't have them on our website yet, because they are more experimental, but we may well publish them in 2020, but they are just a guide really," Ms Cusack told the Irish Independent.

At the moment, "we have a reasonable confidence in a 10-day outlook", she said.

"When I started forecasting in the 1980s, it was more like one or two days.

"There has been a quiet revolution in weather forecasting in the last 50 years due to the development of supercomputers," she added.

You'll have to register for free to access the full article which basically descends into talk about the weather of 2019 being slightly milder and wetter than average and climate change, etc...

It will be interesting to see these forecasts being released and how they verify. I foresee another project for Syran! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,506 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Given what Cusack said about long range forecasts back in 2013 with this legendary weather bulletin, does this not seem a bit strange? You would think they would stay far away from this kind of "forecasting", even if it is a guide.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Given what Cusack said about long range forecasts back in 2013 with this legendary weather bulletin, does this not seem a bit strange? You would think they would stay far away from this kind of "forecasting", even if it is a guide.

Not really sryanbruen,that was 7 years ago a lot has changed since then,
    personally i would say its down to demand.The met office dropped long range forecasting only to reintroduced it because of demand.
    I see you have to regasture to revise the forecast although its free,its a great opportunity to get revenue through advertisement.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,137 ✭✭✭highdef

I love that forecast by Miss Cusack but how can she suggest that the berries cannot predict the weather ahead and not be just a result of the weather previous.....lol

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

sryanbruen wrote: »

Only setting themselves up for criticism

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

They should just get Tae laidir to do it for them.

Or Con Sensus. They are both pretty good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement