Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do we want this coming decade?

• 23-12-2019 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭

So.. In just over a week we will see the end of one decade and the start of another. Mad to think how quick this one has flown!

So .... If we ares still around here to be posting in 2029, what accomplishments do we want and expect to see?

my hopes are:
    DU and electrification of Maynooth/M3, Northern and Kildare lines
    Busconnects in some form
    More frequent and later intercity services on some lines
    24 hour services on DART and LUAS alongside bus services

Time will tell!

On another note, happy and peaceful Christmas and New Year everyone and roll on another, hoperfully more happy prosperus new decade! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Rebuilding of the GNR Derry Road; reopening of Midleton/Youghal and Goold's Cross/Cashel. I can but dream!

Happy Christmas everybody and enjoy your chicken/turkey dinners. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Be more interesting for people to post their predictions and look back on them in 10 years time!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 SauNewb

I think public transport needs a lot of improvement. I imagine the population will grow in the next 10 years.

Would like to see an appropriate Luas service where you aren't crammed in a sardine.

Also, the number of people buying houses outside Dublin and commuting will probably rise also. Unless new roads are built/good public transport is put in place a lot of people will be spending 30 hours a week in traffic. I spend close to 20 hours a week at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭victor8600

Dublin Metro (Underground). Just a wild fantasy!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 426 ✭✭MrAbyss

MetroLink

Cabra Station on PPT line

all the signalling issues on the DART/City Centre Capacity Issues sorted

North Wall Station reopened as Stage one of DART Underground

Finglas LUAS

Passing Loops on Northern Line

If we got all these in the next decade that would be serious progress with the provision to expand going forward.

• Advertisement

The more I think the North Wall Station/DARTundergroud phase 1, the more I am near evangelical about it.

This is a real do-able and sellable project.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Fully electric buses!!!

Much more electric cars and vans, hell maybe even trucks....

The greens will find a new tax to combat the loss of revenue from motorists such as an extra electricity charge etc....

EV scooters and bikes more common.

If we are serious about traffic and speeding up it's flow we need more using mopeds/motorcycles....

CCTV controlled bus lanes and bus only turns and streets.

Underground M50 or it on stilts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

More buses
    More bus lanes
    More cycling infrastructure
    Less space for private cars on roads served by public transport
    Total ban on on-street parking along all bus routes

Force people who live on public transport routes out of their cars, not by increasing the cost of driving (i.e. selling indulgences to those who can afford it), but by making it painfully inconvenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭BlackandGreen

Upgrade the Waterford line again please.
    Double tracking the whole way and express trains
    Also late night services.

Daily commuter trains from Clonmel in each direction to limerick/waterford.

I can dream right? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

Two pipe dreams...

M20 and Metro West. When I bought my home in D15 my road was due to have two metro West stops. With bus connects due to remove any sense of decent bus services it's so needed but not in project Ireland 2040 so no hope.

M20 is so badly needed. It doesn't need explanation surely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,427 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Realistic and comprehensive park and ride. Stop pretending to try for perfection (journeys without a car at all) and offer a good option of public transport for the most congested part of the journey.Half the cars off the road half the journey is a least as good as one quarter off he road for all journeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Sligo eye

Scrap NTA as it stands.
    Scrap CIE and replace it and the NTA with a body that understands and regulates public transport and not give in to the car lobby
    DART Underground fully implemented.
    Extend DART to Dublin Airport from Clongriffin.
    Stop and start all InterCity rail journeys to and from Dublin Airport.
    Triple track from Clongriffin to Connolly.
    M3 Parkway to Navan extension.
    DART extension to Maynooth and Kildare.
    Double track Portarlington to Galway
    Run rail services around the clock, train and recruit sufficient staff to run these services.
    Encourage rail freight
    New North-South rail spine from Cork to Derry via limerick, Galway, Tuam, Sligo
    Midleton-Youghal reopened
    Shannon Airport extension
    Expand Connolly to be Central Transport terminal for Dublin.
    Bus services to be repurposed to feed rail connections.

Sligo eye wrote: »
    Extend DART to Dublin Airport from Clongriffin.
    Stop and start all InterCity rail journeys to and from Dublin Airport.

I like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭thenightman

Well designed bus lanes (maybe even properly segregated ones), automated bus lane fine cameras with €150 fines for first time offenders rising up to €1000 for repeat ones, taxis banned from bus lanes, more 24hr normal bus routes, longer Luas running hours til at least 2am on weekdays 4am on weekends. More tri axle double door buses like Edinburgh have.

Very basic stuff to be wishing for in 2020's and I'm fairly sure most will not happen.

I have no hope that any underground or electrification will happen and BusConnects is already dead and buried.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Caranica wrote: »
    Two pipe dreams...

M20 and Metro West. When I bought my home in D15 my road was due to have two metro West stops. With bus connects due to remove any sense of decent bus services it's so needed but not in project Ireland 2040 so no hope.

M20 is so badly needed. It doesn't need explanation surely?

In the immortal words of Andy Partridge of XTC “I want to see a river of orchids where there once was a motorway” #NoPlanetB

Galway focused

Bus lanes on all routes
    Segregated cycle lanes
    Double tracking to Portarlington
    More streets pedestrianised
    Congestion charge
    Council car parks change to hourly rate of parking

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Let’s hope for more endless public consultations! Then they might get around to starting work on Dublin metro in 2040, for a completion date some time in 2050 ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i want ross not to be re-elected.

Large Dublin outer ring joining the M1 to the M11 while intersecting the M2/3/etc

All the branches off the capital made into motorway standard (with three lanes if possible) all the way to the end (Sligo, etc).

Also the M20 and M25 to be built.

Blanket as much of the main routes in the country as possible with average speed cameras.

Variable speed limits based on road conditions with strict enforcement.

Penalty points for anyone found by investigation to be the cause of a collision no matter how minor.

-

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

An underground rail link from Dublin Airport to Connolly and Heuston.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Well designed bus lanes (maybe even properly segregated ones), automated bus lane fine cameras with €150 fines for first time offenders rising up to €1000 for repeat ones, taxis banned from bus lanes, more 24hr normal bus routes, longer Luas running hours til at least 2am on weekdays 4am on weekends. More tri axle double door buses like Edinburgh have.

Very basic stuff to be wishing for in 2020's and I'm fairly sure most will not happen.

I have no hope that any underground or electrification will happen and BusConnects is already dead and buried.

Why would you take taxis out of bus lanes? Bus lane cameras would suggest it's possible to regulate proper usage by taxis.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

taxis are not an efficient use of bus lanes. in general, the probably move as many people per car as a private car does.

in short, why should i be allowed sit in a car in a bus lane if i've paid someone to drive me, when i'm not allowed use that lane in my own car even if it's full of people?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Because you are paying for it. It's a PSV licence that Grant's them the use of it while providing a service. Why would you get s taxi if you are going to be stuck in the traffic? Taxis are a great way to supplement what cant be achieved by hard set routes for public transport. I've never been in one to follow the bus route I could have taken.

Because you are paying for it.
    i pay for my car too, and i pay all the taxes required to own and operate it. paying has nothing to do with it.
    and there's nothing to stop taxis supplementing what can't be provided by hard set PT routes, by using 'normal' lanes of traffic.

bus lanes should be provided for public transport which makes efficient use of the road. taxis offer pretty much nothing in terms of efficient use of road space - and frequently clog up bus lanes in the city centre, and are a *very* common reason that bus lanes become inefficient.
    taxis were only allowed in bus lanes in dublin in (i think) 1997, which was a stupid move.

i pay for my car too, and i pay all the taxes required to own and operate it. paying has nothing to do with it.

bus lanes should be provided for public transport which makes efficient use of the road. taxis offer pretty much nothing in terms of efficient use of road space - and frequently clog up bus lanes in the city centre, and are a *very* common reason that bus lanes become inefficient.

You’re not paying directly to use the bus lanes though, they are. Just because you pay road tax doesn’t mean it’s for using a bus/taxi lane.

and there's nothing to stop taxis supplementing what can't be provided by hard set PT routes, by using 'normal' lanes of traffic.

taxis were only allowed in bus lanes in dublin in (i think) 1997, which was a stupid move.

Efficiency should be looked at from the perspective of the customer, not the people managing the service. In transport, the waste is time taken to complete the activity. Not the load.

You’re not paying directly to use the bus lanes though, they are. Just because you pay road tax doesn’t mean it’s for using a bus/taxi lane.
    true, but as i said, i regard paying for it or not paying for it to be moot.
    if, as suggested, it's a way for people to pay to beat the traffic, then it's a premium service, not a 'public' service.

true, but as i said, i regard paying for it or not paying for it to be moot.
    if, as suggested, it's a way for people to pay to beat the traffic, then it's a premium service, not a 'public' service.

But it is a public service?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭adocholiday

I'd like to the the Rosslare to Connolly route double tracked and electrified. It's a badly needed upgrade for that route and I think a much better use of money than upgrading the N11.

I'd also like to see more frequent and later trains. Just an example but the last train leaving Connolly that goes beyond Greystones is at 18.30 which is much too early.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

But it is a public service?

Is the taxi a bus?

Advertisement