Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

School Traffic Wardens (aka lollipop ladies)

Comments

I'd be a bit wary about something like that. There's all sorts of legalities that you'd have to consider. What happens if, god forbid, there's an incident and someone starts legal proceedings or whatever?

Also, aren't Lollipop ladies one of only a few people for who traffic are legally required to brake when told? Can't imagine the council/guards being over enamoured with such a scenario.

that's before you get into anything like Garda vetting etc......Not trying to discourage you or anything, but I'd be very careful of making anything official.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Don Juan II

$hifty wrote: »
    I'd be a bit wary about something like that. There's all sorts of legalities that you'd have to consider. What happens if, god forbid, there's an incident and someone starts legal proceedings or whatever?

Also, aren't Lollipop ladies one of only a few people for who traffic are legally required to brake when told? Can't imagine the council/guards being over enamoured with such a scenario.

that's before you get into anything like Garda vetting etc......Not trying to discourage you or anything, but I'd be very careful of making anything official.

Thanks for the reply @$hifty. Appreciate it.

Those are my thoughts exactly also.

I'm wondering if it's possible to get "approval" from the Gardai/County Council.

This link:
    https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/roads_and_safety/school_traffic_wardens_in_ireland.html
    mentions training:
    Before starting their job, each school traffic warden must undergo a comprehensive training programme organised by their local authority about road safety and their duties.

The same website also has a section on "Junior Traffic Wardens"
    Junior traffic wardens scheme
    In many places, junior traffic wardens (usually senior pupils of primary schools) work in teams of six to provide a similar service as the school traffic warden.

A signal requesting traffic to stop is given from both sides of the road. After traffic stops, the six junior traffic wardens take up their position and guide younger children across the public road. All vehicles must remain stopped until all the junior traffic wardens have returned to the footpath.

To ensure the junior traffic wardens can carry out their function properly, it is vital that they have a clear view of the road. Drivers should never stop or park in positions where they could obstruct the view of junior traffic wardens or school traffic wardens.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I did the Junior Wardens back in the last millennium - the school needs to have this covered on their insurance as well as having the kit so there may be a fundraising need here. Also, they "paid" us by having two school tours in 6th class and the second one was FOC if you did the wardens. Prevented the optics of handing cash to kids; although they did pay us cash to dismantle the polling stations in 6th class weirdly.

It was a day in Mosney, to further date the entire thing!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'm looking for some help/advice.

There are some volunteers looking to setup a rota to operate School Traffic Wardens outside our local school.
    Normally these positions are provided by the local county council but we've been told there is no budget available.

https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/roads_and_safety/school_traffic_wardens_in_ireland.html

Does anyone know if it's possible to setup a group of volunteers to do this job?
    And buy one of these:
    https://starttraffic.uk/lollipop-signs/stop-children-collapsible-lollipop-sign
    Just get 4 drivers to park their cars to block the crossing from motor traffic each day, 2 in the moring, 2 in the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Lobby your local Co Councillors and TD's.

You could also request installation of a pedestrian crossing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just get 4 drivers to park their cars to block the crossing from motor traffic each day, 2 in the moring, 2 in the afternoon.
    I can't see that being any way legal of helpful. If anything, it would only damage the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Lobby your local TD’s/councillors to close the road to traffic? (Similar time what has been done in Malahide, which has been a resounding success!)

Advertisement