Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Grease for bolt

• 22-12-2019 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭

Anyone reccomend grease for the bolt in a rifle and know where it can be got easily?
    I presume gun grease isnt made especially for guns maybe a machine grease could be used

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭alanmc

Greasing a bolt is a personal preference sorta thing.

I use a tiny dab of copper grease on the backs of the locking lugs, but I run the rest of the bolt dry.

Some use a very thin film of very light machine oil. Others use a dry lubricant. There are probably as many methods for lubing a bolt as there are bolts out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭eoin.d

alanmc wrote: »
    Greasing a bolt is a personal preference sorta thing.

I use a tiny dab of copper grease on the backs of the locking lugs, but I run the rest of the bolt dry.

Some use a very thin film of very light machine oil. Others use a dry lubricant. There are probably as many methods for lubing a bolt as there are bolts out there.
    I have always just lightly greased the lugs and cam and slightly oiled the rest of the bolt.
    Ive just run out of the grease ive been using

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭alanmc

I just use some copper grease. Same stuff I use for doing my brake pads. Got it in my local motor factors.

alanmc wrote: »
    I just use some copper grease. Same stuff I use for doing my brake pads. Got it in my local motor factors.

Is there any lubrication in copper grease ive always just used it for anti seizures

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Lone hunter 22wmr

I use 3in1oil on every part of a few different rifles and never seen a problem just clean them after use and oil it again ready for the next time ya should be alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If you want to use any type of grease there’s a myriad of brands and types of gun grease out there.

Personally I’ve never used anything but a decent gun lubricant or a drop of 3-in-1 machine oil sometimes.

For a bolt to run smooth keeping it clean and free of dust and grit is just as important as lubrication.

An oily cotton bud clean out of the locking recesses where the lugs are supposed to go works wonders as well when a bolt gets a bit stiff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

Used Napier gun grease on the bolt kn my cz. Just a tiny bit though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Light coat of gun oil when I clean it, all I ever do and always works perfect

Used Napier gun grease on the bolt kn my cz. Just a tiny bit though

Thats what i have been using. Had a tube thats lasted years. But just run out now

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

Whatever is cheapest. I used specific gun grease for years. But it's just over priced and not tested to the same temperature and pressure as auto grease.

Go down to your local motor factors and buy a big cheap tub of grease. I guarantee your gun will stay as smooth and as rust free as any top end gun grease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭zeissman

Whatever is cheapest. I used specific gun grease for years. But it's just over priced and not tested to the same temperature and pressure as auto grease.

Go down to your local motor factors and buy a big cheap tub of grease. I guarantee your gun will stay as smooth and as rust free as any top end gun grease.

Good advice.
    I use Halfords multi purpose grease. It's lithium based so it works well at high temperature.
    I also use it for the threads on my dpt moderators.

Ya normally if you put gun or rifle in the product name you can charge 4 or 5 times as much for it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Done some research on this a short while back, as i run a a semi auto and it needs constant lubing, and found a lot of guys in the states use a "homemade" lube.

Consists of, off the top of my head, brake fluid, motor oil, automatic transmission fluid and Hoppes No9 oil. they call it "Red Oil" and most guys have the same "ingredients", but in different amounts meaning no two are the same.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Cass wrote: »
    Done some research on this a short while back, as i run a a semi auto and it needs constant lubing, and found a lot of guys in the states use a "homemade" lube.

Consists of, off the top of my head, brake fluid, motor oil, automatic transmission fluid and Hoppes No9 oil. they call it "Red Oil" and most guys have the same "ingredients", but in different amounts meaning no two are the same.

Did you try make some cass?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Bought the "ingredients", but never made it up. I have a ton of Hoppes lube, but i'll get to it some day.

I never use lube, grease or oil on my bolt guns. I'm not cycling fast enough to create the level of friction i would get from my semi auto, so never see the need. Plus i'm a little cautious about oil/grease, etc getting between the bolt face and case head.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Definitely something to be cautious about alright. I like to use a little but if you can see it its probably too much. And you also have to worry about it attracting dirt

Advertisement