Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HMS Victory wooden ship model

• 10-12-2019 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I've searched boards forum for similar topics around wooden ship modelling and found nothing.

I have a wooden ship model which I've got recently and this is an HMS Victory from Constructo 1:94 scale. I thought it might be a good idea to share my progress and gather some feedback from interested here on the forum.

I even created a YouTube channel called Wooden Ship Crafts, I will post a link in a while once I will be allowed to do so (after 5 posts on this website).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

Max Pronko wrote: »
    Hi, I've searched boards forum for similar topics around wooden ship modelling and found nothing.

I have a wooden ship model which I've got recently and this is an HMS Victory from Constructo 1:94 scale. I thought it might be a good idea to share my progress and gather some feedback from interested here on the forum.

I even created a YouTube channel called Wooden Ship Crafts, I will post a link in a while once I will be allowed to do so (after 5 posts on this website).
    God on you. At last a post on this forum that's not about drones:)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Please do. I'm looking forward to seeing your build.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Max Pronko

Happy Friday!

I have very great news for you. The H.M.S. Victory build has been officially started. It was actually started 2 weeks ago, but I post here on this forum for the second time, so let's assume it is happening now :).

The model I've decided to build is a 1:94 original scale. This is one of the very well known ships in history. So, why don't start with this one.

The H.M.S. Victory model is created by Constructo, I bought it on Amazon UK. It is a quite expensive model, however, this is what I wanted to build for quite a while.

498041.JPG

H.M.S Victory History
    H.M.S Victory is a 104-gun first-rate ship of the line of the Royal Navy, ordered in 1758, laid down in 1759 and launched in 1765. She is best known for her role as Lord Nelson's flagship at the Battle of Trafalgar on 21 October 1805.

She additionally served as Keppel's flagship at Ushant, Howe's flagship at Cape Spartel and Jervis's flagship at Cape St Vincent. After 1824, she was relegated to the role of harbour ship.

In 1922, she was moved to a dry dock at Portsmouth, England, and preserved as a museum ship. She has been the flagship of the First Sea Lord since October 2012 and is the world's oldest naval ship still in commission, with 241 years' service as of 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Acosta

I found out only recently that my great grandfather served on that during WW1. I was amazed it was still in service at that point

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Max Pronko

Acosta wrote: »
    I found out only recently that my great grandfather served on that during WW1. I was amazed it was still in service at that point

No way!!! Really?

You have to be very proud!!!!

Any stories available to share?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭Acosta

No way!!! Really?

You have to be very proud!!!!

Any stories available to share?

Unfortunately not. Most of that side of the family have died. I was on the ship years ago and I never even knew myself. I only found out a few years ago when we were selling the family home and I found his call up papers for WW1 telling him to report to the HMS Victory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

You can probably get a copy of their service records.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Happy Friday!

I have very great news for you. The H.M.S. Victory build has been officially started. It was actually started 2 weeks ago....

Any progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Nephilim Wolf

This looks great, I've always liked the HMS Victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭The Witches Cat

The ship was not part of WW1. She was moored up at that stage and deteriorating badly. Thats why a SAVE THE VICTORY fund was set up. It was not in service so good old Grandpaps is telling porkies!

• Advertisement

The ship was not part of WW1. She was moored up at that stage and deteriorating badly. Thats why a SAVE THE VICTORY fund was set up. It was not in service so good old Grandpaps is telling porkies!

Well it was a harbour ship but didn't go into dry dock till 1922. It's was also used as ceremonial flagship, and was also the name of the barracks in Portsmouth. There is even another barracks apparently called HMS Victory II. The navy treats Barracks a bit like ships. So it's not impossible someone could be listed as assigned to Victory the Barracks or the ship in WW1, if only temporarily as they waited to be assigned a sea going ship.

You can find WW1 naval records and photos with ratings assigned to HMS Victory. Most are probably the barracks. But they must have some people continuously working in her otherwise it would have rotted and sunk.

Afaik. Victory was never decommissioned. So hence they keep referring to it as "..world's oldest naval ship still in commission, with 243 years' service as of 2021..."

I realise this is in the OPs original post...

Unfortunately not. Most of that side of the family have died. I was on the ship years ago and I never even knew myself. I only found out a few years ago when we were selling the family home and I found his call up papers for WW1 telling him to report to the HMS Victory.

That might simply mean Portsmouth Barracks. Which sounds likely for a call up. He may or may not have been aboard the actual ship but he would definitely have seen her. Hard to miss.

Advertisement