Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driver shaft extension

• 18-12-2019 10:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭

As per title, has anyone ever extended their driver shaft.

Was fitted a few years back with a driver shaft that's shorter then average 1" shorter I think.

Was on a trackman recently and my swing speed is averaging 103.5mph with my current driver. It's up at 106mph with standard ones.

Dont want to get a new shaft as the one I have is tip stiffed.

Do fancy a few extra yards though..ðŸ˜

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Neworld17

There is no problem extending shaft with a plastic extension plug. It will have minimal effect on shaft weight. However it will effect swing weight and make it harder to hit the sweet spot consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

Changed every driver i have owned to +1 inch and no issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

(In true boards style...)
    changed mine -1 inch and no issues :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭irish bloke

Neworld17 wrote: »
    There is no problem extending shaft with a plastic extension plug. It will have minimal effect on shaft weight. However it will effect swing weight and make it harder to hit the sweet spot consistently.

thanks for reply - Are you saying it will be harder to hit the sweet spot more consistantly due to the addition on the shaft extension or because I'm making the club longer - If extension can you explain. thanks..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Most of the info I'm heard/read says now that the majority of Pros have shorter than standard shafts in their drivers.

Taking the swing speed in isolation would say that, yes, you should change the length of the club. But, what were the rest of your numbers like on the trackman session.

Were your misses as consistent with the Longer vs Shorter?

Was the dispersion tighter or wider?

Was there a difference in the actual distance the drives went, relative to the extra speed?

Was your strike as consistent?

If you're set on it, and assuming that you have a relatively modern driver, would you not be better off buying a new longer shaft for it, rather than fitting some sort of extender to it. That would reduce the risk of changes to shaft weighting, etc... I would have thought?

• Advertisement
Advertisement