Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gluten and yeast free alcohol?!

• 23-05-2014 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I've recently been told that I am intolerant to gluten, wheat, yeast and dairy.... so now I have no idea what alcohol to drink and whats is safe to drink? I used to only drink Bulmers light, so I'm a bit lost now! Any help would be appreciated!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I think spirits would be best option for you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Serious question? Who told you were intolerant to this things? What test was done?

Anyway, any filtered beer will be yeast free and there are a lot of stouts which have no gluten in their recipe but are not labled gluten free because they are made in the same area as beer with wheat in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As said above, most beers will be yeast free for all intents and purposes. Estrella Daura is a Spanish coeliac-certified gluten free beer, and it's damn good. You can get it in most bigger supermarkets.

For yeast avoidance, in general most major brand beers as well as ciders and wines are fine. Weissbeers, pale ales, microbrews, etc tend to have more yeast leftover and should be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Seaneh wrote: »
    Serious question? Who told you were intolerant to this things? What test was done?

Anyway, any filtered beer will be yeast free and there are a lot of stouts which have no gluten in their recipe but are not labled gluten free because they are made in the same area as beer with wheat in them.

Gluten in tolerance is an untruth, but there is gluten in barley and yesst do release proteins that are soluble and will not be removed by filtratration.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Skylined.94

Hi there, I've also found out I've a minor intolerance to yeast and have been told that some of the Japanese rich beers are a good substitute, any recommendations?

Obviously, this probably wouldn't be an option when out and about in Ireland but would be a good alternative for personal use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,737 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Hi there, I've also found out I've a minor intolerance to yeast and have been told that some of the Japanese rich beers are a good substitute, .

Sounds like nonsense to me.
    All alcohol is fermented with yeast of some description.

Any spirits will have the yeast distilled out.

Certainly avoid any bottle conditioned beer with sediment in them. Cask ale probably wouldn't be a good idea either but any beer, cider or wine will have traces of yeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Seaneh wrote: »
    not labled gluten free because they are made in the same area as beer with wheat in them.

Don't touch them. I speak as a coeliac. If it's not labelled GF don't consume.

celini84 wrote: »
    I've recently been told that I am intolerant to gluten, wheat, yeast and dairy.... so now I have no idea what alcohol to drink and whats is safe to drink? I used to only drink Bulmers light, so I'm a bit lost now! Any help would be appreciated!!

Contact the Coeliac Society of Ireland or the Gluten Free facebook page. The advice offered here, while well meaning, is wrong.

You're probably ok with ciders (but check with the actual producers) Gluten Free beer may be ok. Really the big question here is the source for all this allergy information. Almost certainly fine with unflavoured spirits.

I did it for a while after a food intolerance test and found Wicklow Wolf Arcadia and the whole 9 White Deer range to be excellent if you want GF (the Stag Stout is excellent). That said I annoyed the doctor enough into doing a proper test and it turns out I’m not anyway, but I still drink some of them.

oblivious wrote: »
    Gluten in tolerance is an untruth,
    Except to people who are genuinely intolerant to gluten without being actually coeliac. They do exist.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I did it for a while after a food intolerance test and found Wicklow Wolf Arcadia and the whole 9 White Deer range to be excellent if you want GF (the Stag Stout is excellent). That said I annoyed the doctor enough into doing a proper test and it turns out I’m not anyway, but I still drink some of them.

Those IgG food intolerance tests need to be banned (well, restricted to use by consultants only - they have some extremely limited value but get abused by charlatans)

L1011 wrote: »
    Those IgG food intolerance tests need to be banned (well, restricted to use by consultants only - they have some extremely limited value but get abused by charlatans)

I never really trusted it (I doubt anyone comes out clear) so always wanted a proper test.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

the whole 9 White Deer range to be excellent if you want GF (the Stag Stout is excellent).

Only their Stag Saor range is GF. Stout/IPA/Kolsch.

Life ain't always empty.

Is the Pale Ale not GF too?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

For the past year all of their beers have been gluten-free.

https://twitter.com/9whitedeer/status/1071054155626762241

BeerNut wrote: »

I love the pints of the stout in the cobblestone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

I've been seeing that they have quite a wide range of GF beers for a few years. That's all fine and dandy but I'd rather see them doing a few alcohol free beers. The GF fad will pass and fall back to the 1% or 2% of the population who have a genuine issue with gluten. Producing that many types of GF beer is pretty niche when many of the people who are pursuing a GF diet are women, many who are not traditionally beer drinkers anyway. There has been a massive increase in alcohol free beer sales in the last 2 years but the craft breweries here are way behind the curve. I'd like to see more choice and better quality on offer. Other than the odd glass of wine when out for a meal I don't take alcohol for medical reasons but I'm coming across an increasing amount of drinkers you are quite happy with having a few pints of Heineken Zero and it doesn't ruin their buzz.
    Is alcohol free beer more expensive to produce?

Seamai wrote: »
    I've been seeing that they have quite a wide range of GF beers for a few years. That's all fine and dandy but I'd rather see them doing a few alcohol free beers. The GF fad will pass and fall back to the 1% or 2% of the population who have a genuine issue with gluten. Producing that many types of GF beer is pretty niche when many of the people who are pursuing a GF diet are women, many who are not traditionally beer drinkers anyway. There has been a massive increase in alcohol free beer sales in the last 2 years but the craft breweries here are way behind the curve. I'd like to see more choice and better quality on offer. Other than the odd glass of wine when out for a meal I don't take alcohol for medical reasons but I'm coming across an increasing amount of drinkers you are quite happy with having a few pints of Heineken Zero and it doesn't ruin their buzz.
    Is alcohol free beer more expensive to produce?

No, it’s just generally awful. Even the best ones currently are the best because they’re finally just about drinkable, not because there’s much good about them.
    The difference in taste between regular and GF is negligible.

The GF fad will pass
    Not for the coeliac owner of 9 White Deer it won't.

Bear in mind that for a lot of brewers, going gluten free was just a matter of getting the certification: they didn't have to change the beer.

Not for the coeliac owner of 9 White Deer it won't.

Bear in mind that for a lot of brewers, going gluten free was just a matter of getting the certification: they didn't have to change the beer.

I wasn't talking about coeliacs when I was referring to the passing fad but the 95%+ of people who have been been pursuing gluten free diets over the last decade or so in the belief that it's healthier for them, the majority have never been tested but "know", I work with a few of them and they're a joke on a night out turning their nose up at everything but then taking bread from the basket when they think no one is looking, when I corned one her response was "oh I can have small amounts, or oh that's rye bread that's ok, (no it wouldn't be if genuine issue with gluten as rye contains it). In the last few years the number of people choosing GF has decreased and has been replaced by a shift to plant based (being vegan AND GF would be quite difficult and very restrictive). I know someone who for several years never tired of telling people that she was gluten intolerant, now she's on a plant based diet and is eating seitan several times a week, I haven't the heart to tell her that seitan is almost pure gluten.

I might be open to correction here but GF beers are not made in the same way as AF beers, it's not a case of making it as per usual and then extracting the gluten from it, they're made with different grains like rice or millet or even maize so it's different product. I do genuinely feel sorry for anyone who has the misfortune to be a coeliac but not those who have jumped on it as a fad.

• Advertisement

it's not a case of making it as per usual and then extracting the gluten from it
    Mostly it is, and certainly in any Irish breweries it is. The Greens brand Belgian beers are made without barley or wheat but I don't know of any others on the market here.

A clarifying process that has been used for beer for years was discovered to strip enough gluten out to qualify the beer as gluten-free. If you're a brewer and your beer already qualifies as GF, there's no reason not to badge it as such: it's an extra market.

Mostly it is, and certainly in any Irish breweries it is. The Greens brand Belgian beers are made without barley or wheat but I don't know of any others on the market here.

A clarifying process that has been used for beer for years was discovered to strip enough gluten out to qualify the beer as gluten-free. If you're a brewer and your beer already qualifies as GF, there's no reason not to badge it as such: it's an extra market.

But is a genuine coeliac is not supposed to be able to tolerate even the most minute trace of gluten?

But is a genuine coeliac is not supposed to be able to tolerate even the most minute trace of gluten?
    I'm a beer drinker, not a doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭anacc

celini84 wrote: »

Bulmers Light is gluten-free and wheat-free (it's made with apples not grains), yeast-free (it's filtered), and dairy-free (obv). As Bulmers Light is what you used to only drink then happy days cos you'll be fine.

I'd also recommend that you get a professional diagnosis from a registered dietician if you haven't already, because there's a lot of "nutritionists" out there who quite frankly are full of sh*t and tell people they are intolerant to stuff they are actually fine with.

Well a few weeks ago I bought a Black Lightning which wasn't (was good, too) so has that been discontinued? :(

Life ain't always empty.

I wasn't talking about coeliacs when I was referring to the passing fad

Cop on will you.

Many people like my wife, who gave up gluten for a trial period on her doctor's advice, aren't willing to go back on it and be bloated/sick just so they can get an 'official' diagnosis. They're not coeliacs, but they do have an intolerance. It's only come to light recentliy for many of them. It's not just a fad. In my wife's case she tolerated gluten well for 40 years but then it started to cause problems. There are more bacteria in your gut than there are human cells in your whole body, and medical science is really only starting to investigate this area.

Life ain't always empty.

has that been discontinued? :(
    There was a tweet the other day promoting it, so I doubt it's been discontinued. How do you know it wasn't gluten free?

Cop on will you.

Many people like my wife, who gave up gluten for a trial period on her doctor's advice, aren't willing to go back on it and be bloated/sick just so they can get an 'official' diagnosis. They're not coeliacs, but they do have an intolerance. It's only come to light recentliy for many of them. It's not just a fad. In my wife's case she tolerated gluten well for 40 years but then it started to cause problems. There are more bacteria in your gut than there are human cells in your whole body, and medical science is really only starting to investigate this area.

Read my my later posts before going off into a rant. I'm not talking about people with genuine issues, I'm talking about people who latch on to the latest fads, the sort of people who worship at the altar of people like Gwyneth Paltrow.
    I have a brother who is coeliac (at the severe end of the scale) and while he welcomes the much broader range of GF products available to people like him (and your wife) he also feel that his condition is not taken as seriously in some areas as self diagnosed gluten intolerance has become so common, it was estimated in 2016 that something like 28% of the population of the UK were pursuing gluten free or low gluten diets.
    15 years ago it was the Atkin's diet and since then all manner of fads have come and some gone, keto, paleo, and what ever your having yourself, pardon me if I'm a tad sceptical but in 10 years time we'll have a whole string of new diets with all manner of claims, many of which will not be true and there will be people gullible enough to latch on to them, these are the people I'm talking about, not my brother of your wife.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Folks, can we get back to discussing gluten and yeast free drinks please. There's other forums available to talk about the diet in general.

• Advertisement

How do you know it wasn't gluten free?

Well, I don't, but it didn't say GF or have the Stag Saor branding.

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement