Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How excruciatingly annoying is Brian Kerr's commentary?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,937 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Allinall wrote: »
    The Inchicore what now?

Are they not all professionals there already?

Professional chancers buddy.

Full clear out, the lot, long past time for pussy footing around the gaff.

Get the ‘diamond geezers’ and ‘ salt o the earth’ mob out, put us back to respectability.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Allinall

Professional chancers buddy.

Full clear out, the lot, long past time for pussy footing around the gaff.

Get the ‘diamond geezers’ and ‘ salt o the earth’ mob out, put us back to respectability.

1. I ain’t your buddy, pal.

2. You said “Get professionals in”. It was professionals that got us into this mess in the first place. Is there a hierarchy of professionals in your head?

3. Inchicore weasel? Why the gratuitous insults?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭saabsaab

A Culchie myself but I like him and his accent. Not interested in Soccer myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Corner boys and bowsies the lot of 'em, compare those connving spivs to the fine, upstanding men who run Dublin GAA or the sheepskin brigade in charge of the egg ball.

Should be abolished for the sake of the children denied the chance to play a wholesome, decent sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

"I tink Cassano l get da big hook" He was struggling on the wing for Italy one night. He was subbed a few minutes later, think Antonio Conte was the manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

UsBus wrote: »
    I think he's very enjoyable to listen to. He's a pure football man so can easily commentate without feeling the need to add drama.

I'd take him any day over McEntyre off newstalk & virgin, who absolutely shoots his load anytime the ball gets close to the goal. Horrible commentary to listen to.

McEntyre is awful to listen to commentating and now it seems like he has got a part time gig with Match of the Day too. His style is as soon as the ball goes into the box he screams as if something is about to happen, which it then generally doesnt. Hes a one trick pony.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

I think it's the actual thin and high voice more than the accent that grates, even though that accent can get on your tits, especially when it's somebody giving it the full Damien Dempsey conceived-under-the-Five-Lamps-raised-on-Coddle uber Dub baloney.

Yeah, you come from somewhere, we get the point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭asteroids over berlin

Kerr is alright, true footballing man and somebody we need on the board of the FAI. Often had a word with him in a city centre establishment, found him to be straight up and honest, even when the spotlight was on him. We need more Kerrs in Irish football

• Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭VanZan

Kerr knows what he's talking about but what annoys me is he is too long winded. He just goes on and on even after making his point. Trying to watch the match and Brian is still going on about something that happened minutes ago when he began speaking. Just takes for f*cking ever to get done. Shut up and let me watch the match ffs.

Oh and I have no idea what a "tay-em" is.

VanZan wrote: »
    Kerr knows what he's talking about but what annoys me is he is too long winded. He just goes on and on even after making his point. Trying to watch the match and Brian is still going on about something that happened minutes ago when he began speaking. Just takes for f*cking ever to get done. Shut up and let me watch the match ffs.

Correct, as soon as he shows up on co com it’s shut down for me.

A co coms job is to insert quick observations - one to two sentences on salient points related to the game, not name check every player on an obscure team by reading off a sheet of paper who most viewers have never heard of.

The recent ‘Ireland team in Libya’ doc on RTE 2 was a prime example.

The group of ‘lovable rogues’ beating the ‘system’ by playing football against Libya led by Kerr who managed to “negotiate the lads release” when the inevitable brush with the law happened.

The FAI needs all traces of the old guard excised, this term ‘football People’ is toxic .

Look what happens when ‘greyhound people’ or ‘Athletics People’ or ‘Boxing People’ get bedded in and become opaque and closed in their operations.

Bad things happen.

Not suggesting for a minute Mr Kerr did anything wrong but the smell of the past ‘ nod and wink’ culture In the FAI needs to be totally removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭mick malones mauser

Most sports commentators talk absolute nonsense, it kinda goes with the territory.
    Kerr is annoying but no worse than many others.
    The worst is George "The Baggio Brothers" Hamilton..The man is absolutely clueless

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭misterme123

This is the only thing about Kerr that annoys me and it's a really glaring weakness. It's even worse on radio coverage. Either that or it comes across worse because you can't even be distracted by just watching the match. I like him as a half time pundit though. Knows his stuff inside out and at least he gets the fact that the game has changed since the 70s (unlike some other well known Irish pundits).

I don't get people complaining about his accent either, it's a normal enough Dublin accent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,211 ✭✭✭LineOfBeauty

Think he enhances every match he commentates on. I've watched a few duds from international tournaments purely cos Kerr is on commentary. Funny and insightful.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Ah but he's a real salt of the earth Dub. At least he keeps to what he knows unlike the eyebrow beautician of Cold Blow Lane

Edgware wrote: »
    Ah but he's a real salt of the earth Dub. At least he keeps to what he knows unlike the eyebrow beautician of Cold Blow Lane

Hmmm.... wouldn’t hire on those competencies...

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭ Spleerbun

Best commentator around. Really does his homework and offers interesting insights. Funny as well

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Yes you do.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Actually like his accent. It's more of an old skool Dublin accent than the modern variants and doesn't sound harsh at all to my ears.

People like PJ Gallagher, on the other hand, beg a light touch of the baseball bat.

Hopefully the lad won’t be ‘active’ tonight’ .

Between himself and Carragher, it’s a toss up which of them annoy people more.

Carragher goes ‘top note’ very quickly.

They got rid of Keys and Gray very quickly,cannot understand why they didn’t do the same when an ‘incident’ occurred with the current team.

Anyway, I’m sure there are bigger issues to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

Edgware wrote: »

:confused: Mick McCarthy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭ Kalel Agreeable Pinhead

Have met Kerr in real life, a lovely man and one of the most knowledgable on football in Ireland. Also genuinely cares about Irish football. I don’t mind his commentary but can see he’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

Steyr 556 wrote: »
    Have met Kerr in real life, a lovely man and one of the most knowledgable on football in Ireland. Also genuinely cares about Irish football. I don’t mind his commentary but can see he’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

Nothing personal against the lad, but professionally- excruciating.

Just like Carragher.

Nah, couldn’t take that for any length of time..

Bang!

Switch off or in extreme circs. mute.

Kerr is terrible tonight, I try to take to the guy but this ‘Matthich’ and ‘Mattha’ and ‘abillithy’ stuff has me worn out.

Surely someone better.

Jeez...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Kerr is terrible tonight, I try to take to the guy but this ‘Matthich’ and ‘Mattha’ and ‘abillithy’ stuff has me worn out.

Surely someone better.

Jeez...

Brian Kerr is a national treasure, Brendan.

Brian Kerr is a national treasure, Brendan.

Aaah John.....gimme a break.

Terrible stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,699 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I like his voice, salt of the earth Dub and I'm not from Dublin at all at all.

Terrible commentator, couldn’t listen for that whine for a full gayam

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Brilliant commentator, we don't hear half enough of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Motivator

Kerr is brilliant. He’s also the most knowledgable football man any of us will ever hear from. Unfortunately this is lost on those who don’t like his accent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

prefer Gilesey myself. can't abide Stephanie Roche's accent and that one armed swimmer, Keane,is grating with her "rindabite" accent.

Advertisement