Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Worst Discworld Books?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Whispered wrote: »
    I wasn't crazy about raising steam. It felt a bit flat or something.

I couldn't even finish Raising Steam, and that's something I never thought I'd say about a Discworld book. I'll have to read it at some point but I'm almost ashamed to say I'm in no great rush.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I'd say it's worth the read just to have it done really. Usually I'm so disappointed when I get to the end of a discworld book and I've to put it down. Not this time!

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭wildefalcon

Tis sad, Raising steam just seemed like a plot outline, there wasn't any Pratchet magic in it. Badly told.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

I'm not a fan of the newer ones like Raising Steam and Unseen Academicals.

Over the older ones, Sourcery and Eric was probably the weakest for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

Eric was just a fail for me, even tried it again recently and it failed again only other one that didn't deem to make the grade for me was Unseen Academicals.

I thought Steam was excellent but if you wanted new material it didn't have any, if you have read all the other books then you knew exactly what was going to happen and most of the jokes, but that is the beauty of it I like old jokes plus there is something warm and comforting about immersing yourself in the world of Terry Pratchetts Discworld. I did have the thought that Steam was obvious to the point that it could have been written by a Ghost writer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,552 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The last few books have indeed effectively been ghostwritten, Pratchett dictates the bones, and his assistant writes it up.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The fact that they are on a disc seems fairly incidental to the whole story now doesn't it? I can't remember the last time Great A'Tuin was mentioned in a book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I think it's just down to ideas. In the same way that Rincewind was a relatively short-lived character down to the fact that Prachett felt there was only so many ways he could write about a coward.

I guess the industrialization of the Disc is more interesting to him than the nature of the Disc. Similar to the way the space race killed off a lot of funding for oceanic research. One thing displaces the other.

Could be a great ender to the series with a disaster style story when the Great A'Tuin reaches whatever his destination is. The Turtle Moves!

I think that if you can relate to some of the characters in someway then it makes the books a better read. Vimes's and Carrot are easy enough to like but Pteppic (Pyramids) seems to leave some people cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

smcgiff wrote: »
    Has to be small gods by a distance - followed by pyramids.

Off topic:- was snuff the first "adult" book not to feature DEATH?

Small Gods is my favourite, and Pyramids in the top 15 (probably). :(

Worst; Raising Steam, Unseen Academicals, Making Money

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I loved making money. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Newhand

Any of the book with Granny Weatherwax fall slightly short for me. She is such a deus ex machina, so there is barely any point in reading on.

Looking forward to getting my hands on Raising Steam though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭Daith

Newhand wrote: »
    Any of the book with Granny Weatherwax fall slightly short for me. She is such a deus ex machina, so there is barely any point in reading on.

Always preferred Vimes to Granny then Vimes become a superhero...

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Newhand

Daith wrote: »
    Always preferred Vimes to Granny then Vimes become a superhero...

Yeah I think Vimes really shines in Night Watch as opposed to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭Daith

Newhand wrote: »
    Yeah I think Vimes really shines in Night Watch as opposed to others.

Yeah very back to basics and less reliant on Carrot's charisma, Angua's werewolf abilities and Detritus being Detritus.

Def didn't need his butler being a bad ass fighter too.

Daith wrote: »
    Yeah very back to basics and less reliant on Carrot's charisma, Angua's werewolf abilities and Detritus being Detritus.

Def didn't need his butler being a bad ass fighter too.

Willikins just adds the little extra Disc World touch, every hero needs a side kick.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 ShivaDark

I'm not really enjoying The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents. It doesn't have that usual Discworld feel to it other than the brief mention of the Watch near the start. Is there even a Dibbler in the town because I haven't noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Samaris

I personally didn't really -enjoy- Mort (I know, sacrilege) or Equal Rites. Having said that, I think the least well-written was Unseen Academicals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

I'm not getting the hate for Snuff and Unseen Academicals. I re-read Snuff a while back and really enjoyed it. I'm about 2 thirds of the way through UA, re-reading it and am thoroughly enjoying it and I say that as someone who really doesn't have any interest in football. I was never able to force my way through the Carpet People, although I tried a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,953 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I stopped reading when he was coming out with 2 a year. After Hogfather. I would pick up "The Watch" books but that was about it. Became a factory by the end. I suppose, in hindsight, he was trying to get as much out there as he could given his condition but I thought quality suffered.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭blueshade

ShivaDark wrote: »
    I'm not really enjoying The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents. It doesn't have that usual Discworld feel to it other than the brief mention of the Watch near the start. Is there even a Dibbler in the town because I haven't noticed.

I found it quite dark in places, I wouldn't recommend it. I can't remember if it was aimed at younger viewers but it wouldn't be a book I'd give to kids. I did enjoy Johnny and the Dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

the last few the shepards crown etc the vocab and language became simplistic...for obv sad reasons

• Registered Users Posts: 4 tenry

Soul Music was pretty boring for me

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dingle1969

Raising Steam was my least favorite

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭dingle1969

In fact the last 4/5 were all poor enough

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,289 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

He had alzheimers so probably understandable that later books did not match those written while in his prime

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I cant believe someone earlier said Small Gods was the worst....I think its my favourite!

Advertisement