Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Freenow taxi fare

Options
  • 17-12-2019 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Why are Freenow taxi fares much higher than other taxi fares? On avegage I'm charged 4-5€ more which is ridiculous when we are talking about a ride that costs normally 11-13€.

Last night I was charged €19,80 for this same trip. And he says don't forget to rate me 5 stars. Oh sure pal :mad:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

That's news to me. The most in the difference between the two for me (or I've taken trips both ways home or work etc) would be 1, 2 euro max .

If you feel you're being ripped off I'd go to the taxi regulator , all of your trips are in the app, including the prices and the drivers.

Freenow don't set the prices , it's all meter as per a pickup and a collection charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,329 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Last night I was charged €19,80 for this same trip. And he says don't forget to rate me 5 stars. Oh sure pal :mad:

You should be asking for and getting your receipts to compare. You still only have to pay what's on the meter and be careful about what the app shows for the tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Why are Freenow taxi fares much higher than other taxi fares? On avegage I'm charged 4-5€ more which is ridiculous when we are talking about a ride that costs normally 11-13€.

I've noticed this too. I think they set the metre running as soon as they stop to pick you up so if you're any few minutes late it's all being charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Taxi dude after the Xmas party told me FreeNow charge them 13.5% of the fare. I don't know if the meter allows the taxi meter to add that on top of, or as some form of fixed charge, but I'd expect the taxi to try and recoup that cost somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I too have noticed this, it's my belief that they set the clock running long before they ever pick you up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

As a TAXIDRIVER .... All prices are the same no matter what app or what taxi company you are using .
    The meters are sealed and fares are calculated on distance / time of calls .
    My advise to anyone using a taxi is ....
    (1) always look at the meter when you get into a taxi ...
    It shouldn't be on until you get into the taxi ..
    However if the driver has made contact with you and you are delaying him... By law he is entitled to switch on the meter .
    (2) always ask for a receipt ...
    It's the only way you can question fare as a customer .

It can get very frustrating the amount of times you have to wait for people to get into your taxi .
    Personally I will give people a maximum of 5 minutes ...than I will switch on the meter.
    At night especially , the practice of turning on the meter before picking up customers , is open to abuse .
    Some TAXIDRIVERS have the meter positioned in such a way it's difficult to see exactly where it is .
    I'm sure this is done by these craytures to switch on meter before they have picked up .

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

GetWithIt wrote: »
    Taxi dude after the Xmas party told me FreeNow charge them 13.5% of the fare. I don't know if the meter allows the taxi meter to add that on top of, or as some form of fixed charge, but I'd expect the taxi to try and recoup that cost somehow.

No getwithit....
    Every driver gives their bank details before joining free now .
    The commission is deducted from all calls you do with free now .
    If for example you do €300 worth of calls for freenow the driver gets €264 / freenow gets €36 . Its calculated at 12% .
    The €264 is paid directly into your account .
    I'm sure there are TAXIDRIVERS adding on extras to pay for freenows commission .
    There are snakes in every job .

• Registered Users Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Neo#

Free Now jobs add a booking charge of 2 euro. That should be the only difference to a normal street pickup job. Unless a taxi is booked for a certain time and people are late getting into taxi its up to the driver how much time he gives before switching on the meter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,717 ✭✭✭Xterminator

the free now taxi will also charge pick up fee , so comparing the cost of haling a taxi on the street to booking a taxi to come to you will alway have a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Theyre not.

ALL taxi fares are calculated on the meter.

• Advertisement

JeffKenna wrote: »
    I've noticed this too. I think they set the metre running as soon as they stop to pick you up so if you're any few minutes late it's all being charged.

Meter goes on as soon as the fare/journey commences or at the time of booking.
    If you book your taxi for 8pm and you dont arrive to the car until 8:10pm the driver has the right to start the meter at 8

GetWithIt wrote: »

FreeNow take the % of the fare. The passenger does not in any way pay for this %.
    The driver takes the hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    Meter goes on as soon as the fare/journey commences or at the time of booking.
    If you book your taxi for 8pm and you dont arrive to the car until 8:10pm the driver has the right to start the meter at 8

In fairness , I've heard of some cases where a taxi is booked for 8pm , the taxi arrives at 7.55pm, the driver makes the call saying they're outside and the meter is turned on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 lost_n_found

JeffKenna wrote: »

Well I was already outside this last time when the taxi arrived so he didn't wait for me a second.

I thought the Mytaxi app (now Freenow) was a great thing but I only use it if it's an absolute emergency. I'd rather walk to a main road to hail a car.

Drivers are not nice in most cases anyway like this fella with the 5 star request and before another guy refused to take my cat (in a carrier box) on the back seat. I was supposed to put him in the trunk which is ridiculous as the cat wasn't sick, loud or anything, he only got his booster shots at the vet's and we headed home. :confused:

thomasj wrote: »
    In fairness , I've heard of some cases where a taxi is booked for 8pm , the taxi arrives at 7.55pm, the driver makes the call saying they're outside and the meter is turned on.

Yes, it happens and its not right. The meter should only go on at time of booking or when passenger gets into car.

Well I was already outside this last time when the taxi arrived so he didn't wait for me a second.

I thought the Mytaxi app (now Freenow) was a great thing but I only use it if it's an absolute emergency. I'd rather walk to a main road to hail a car.

Drivers are not nice in most cases anyway like this fella with the 5 star request and before another guy refused to take my cat (in a carrier box) on the back seat. I was supposed to put him in the trunk which is ridiculous as the cat wasn't sick, loud or anything, he only got his booster shots at the vet's and we headed home. :confused:

So youre saying the meter was already on and had more than the initial starting fare on the meter, when you got into the car?

If you say the drivers are not (bit of a sweeping statement there) well dont use the company,its very simple.
    As for the animal,you can appreciate that drivers want to keep their car clean and free from any smells,so he was imo within his rights to do what he asked of you

• Registered Users Posts: 5,855 ✭✭✭trellheim

I'm a regular on Freenow ( wtf with the continual renaming) as have to use it to get the corporate taxi a/c so I am out to the airport for flights a lot

I book for a specific time normally and the meter never goes on till I get in ( in 99% of cases). If its an 0500 call and I dont get in till 0505 I expect to see a couple of quid on, in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

It’s €2 extra to use freenow . Meter works the exact same

• Registered Users Posts: 40 formernyer

Gael23 wrote: »

It's only extra compared to hailing a taxi on the street. The extra is the same callout charge there always was if you rang for a taxi.

Gael23 wrote: »

The 2 euro Call out charge/booking charge was always in place, for years. However the then Hailo asked drivers (during the recession) not to add it. It was re introduced about a year ago.
    Its perfectly legal to do so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Mr.Frame wrote: »
    So youre saying the meter was already on and had more than the initial starting fare on the meter, when you got into the car?

If you say the drivers are not (bit of a sweeping statement there) well dont use the company,its very simple.
    As for the animal,you can appreciate that drivers want to keep their car clean and free from any smells,so he was imo within his rights to do what he asked of you

Unless it's a licensed guide/assistance cat of course :D

BTW is this the annual use a taxi once a year and can't believe ( insert once a year taxi user complaint )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Had a lad put through my Freenow fare as Cash for the amount of 4.20, and used his own credit card scanner for the actual fare.

I obliged him at the time, as he gave me a discount.

Sneaky boy.

Giblet wrote: »
    Had a lad put through my Freenow fare as Cash for the amount of 4.20, and used his own credit card scanner for the actual fare.

I obliged him at the time, as he gave me a discount.

Sneaky boy.

If he was really on the ball, he would have gotten you to cancel the trip, got it paid for on the Pay by FreeNow section of the app OR if he had the Sum UP contract via FreeNow ( neither pay commission) and then claimed for a Scrub Payment

Amateurs

Advertisement