Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Starters for Christmas

• 17-12-2019 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭

What are you doing for starters? I would like to rob your ideas.

I am thinking maybe something light like a crab salad with lettuce cups just so it doesn’t fill up too much. I was going to have scallops and chorizo but would rather something that I can prepare a bit in advance or would be cold so I am not cooking it at the same time as the dinner.

Any suggestions, what do you usually have. Something very tasty but easy...
    This is my first time in my life that I have cooked Christmas dinner, which at my age is a bit ridiculous.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Bombaby1974

We usually do a bit of a seafood free for all. Some crab meat, a few tempura prawns, bit of prawn cocktail and some scallops. All with a bit of salad and some brown bread for those who want it.
    Normally spread out the starter and main to give a little time for crackers and so the chef (me) isn't under too much pressure to get stuff on the table.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,440 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Lobster tails with thermidor butter.

Basically this recipe but with frozen lobster tails from Lidl. Easy.

https://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/lobster-thermidor-butter

Arancini also great and easy. Make ahead and just drop into a fryer for 5 mins and serve. Put whatever you want in there. Pistachios are nice, peas, blue cheese etc.

http://allrecipes.co.uk/recipe/13416/arancini--risotto-balls-.aspx

Crab cakes also nice and easy and just take a few mins to cook.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Always soup or salad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Melon or pate for the non fish eaters; prawn cocktail for the fish eaters

No pate for me this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

Ham hock terrine. Can do it 2 days early, slice and serve!

• Advertisement

Im doing prawn cocktail this year. So quick and easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

My mum usually does chicken & mushroom vol au vents. I'll be having mini Christmas on Saturday and doing brie and cranberry tarts.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Staystrong32

This year we decided to do just prawn cocktails with lemon. Classic

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭phormium

Always prawn and salmon cocktail here and some pate for the couple of non fish eaters. All prepared beforehand so just assembly needed, not very exciting but a tradition at this stage in this house.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭CoBo55

I just leave it ticking over outside...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

I'll be doing a sweet potato and chorizo soup, I think. Was tempted to scrap the starter this year in favour of doing party food in the evening instead (chicken wings, sausage rolls, mozzerella sticks, vol-au-vents, onion rings etc) but I was met great resistence by the family.

I didn't think they'd be able to put away a 3 course Christas dinner, cheese board and all that finger food but they've assured me they're up to the task :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Thanks, loads of lovely ideas there. I like the mixed seafood or the lobster.. sounds perfect.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Melon or pate for the non fish eaters; prawn cocktail for the fish eaters

Congratulations

• Registered Users Posts: 4,704 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

beertons wrote: »
    Congratulations

I didn't get that at all. Can you not eat pate when you are pregnant?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

Foie gras on thin toasted broiche bread with raisin chutney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Did crab salad last year, bought crabmeat in aldi and added mayo, lemon and some spices at home, served with lettuce etc.

also had smoked salmon, served as is with lemon to taste.

nice bread options, bought a nice brown bread and a sourdough from an artisan bakery -worth it.

Avocado salad for our resident vegetarian.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Pate with Melba toast and a winter berry coulis or caramelised onion chutney. 🤘

Pate with Melba toast and a winter berry coulis or caramelised onion chutney. 🤘

oh yes, good point, I'd always have the fridge stocked wtih pate and nice cheeses etc (+nice crackers and chutneys) for picking at any time.

I think they key is something simple that can be served cold. Christmas cooking is enough wtihout having to worry about a hot starter. Keep it simple.

I didn't get that at all. Can you not eat pate when you are pregnant?

Nope, too much vitamin A in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭phormium

I like the old Cumberland sauce with the pate, bought the redcurrant jelly today to make some, good with the ham too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭akelly02

No starters in my house , posh feckers the lot of ye

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Same here. Homemade soup sometimes. But we all be starving for dinner because we have it in the evening.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Same here. Homemade soup sometimes. But we all be starving for dinner because we have it in the evening.

Yeah to be fair the line between meals gets a bit blurred on Christmas day.

Lie in, late breakfast and then out with the dog.

Then "starters" around 2-3pm wiht the main probably not served til 5pm or thereabouts. Then Christmas pudding around 9 :)

9/10ish we’d get up and have our normal breakfast. Snacking the rest of the day on fruit until dinner at 6pm. I’d love to have it earlier but there’s no changing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Loveinapril

I was the same last year, I was afraid it would be a give away as I LOVE pate. The food is the only thing I like about christmas. We always go to my in laws, so i am making the pate this year, maybe goats cheese tartlets with caramalised red onion and last year I did Scotch eggs for the kids but were appreciated by the adults at supper time!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭SlipperyPeople

we do a version of this https://www.lecreuset.co.za/recipes/potted-shrimp-au-gratin/

Lovely, spicy, not hugely christmassy but it's class. only at christmas for some reason too.

9/10ish we’d get up and have our normal breakfast. Snacking the rest of the day on fruit until dinner at 6pm. I’d love to have it earlier but there’s no changing them.

I think I would actually die if someone didn't let me have my Christmas dinner until 6pm :P I do be starving from about 11am on Christmas Day & just about manage to hold out until about 3ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Yeah we don't have a big breakfast at all so our Christmas Dinner is at 1pm. There would be slaps thrown if anyone suggested a 6pm dinner. That's usually the time when the whole extended family comes into ours for drinks and games. We spend the afternoon making sammiches for them all.

I think I would actually die if someone didn't let me have my Christmas dinner until 6pm :P I do be starving from about 11am on Christmas Day & just about manage to hold out until about 3ish.

It encourages unhealthy snacking too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

It encourages unhealthy snacking too.
    There's always a positive. :D

Advertisement