Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Baby Jogger

Options
  • 13-12-2019 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭

Both my wife and myself are runners and since we're getting a kid early next year we've naturally started worrying about running with the baby once he is old enough. We've decided against getting the running buggy straightaway as they mostly don't support carrycots (it seems some people were still running with newborns) which is why we decided to get a more traditional buggy to start with and then we'll upgrade to running one once baby is old enough.

Original idea was to get one of the following:
    1. Out N About Nipper Sport
    2. Baby Jogger Summit X3

But then I got confused a bit. Once I knew a bit more about buggies I went to some races around my place, things like parkruns and similar, and I noticed 90+% of people don't really use a dedicated running buggy, but rather conventional 3-wheeled buggies. Taking that into account:
    1. Is it worth getting a dedicated running jogger? Mostly we are talking about shorter runs, but would your suggestion change if I would actually like to run a marathon with my kid in the buggy?
    2. If you think running buggy is needed, what would you suggest? What would you think about two models above?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Hani Kosti

iAcesHigh wrote:
    But then I got confused a bit. Once I knew a bit more about buggies I went to some races around my place, things like parkruns and similar, and I noticed 90+% of people don't really use a dedicated running buggy, but rather conventional 3-wheeled buggies. Taking that into account: Is it worth getting a dedicated running jogger? Mostly we are talking about shorter runs, but would your suggestion change if I would actually like to run a marathon with my kid in the buggy? If you think running buggy is needed, what would you suggest? What would you think about two models above?

100% get a running buggy if both of you are runners. We got an off road model as living under the mountains . Ran several park runs, trail runs (Cruagh Woods) and did a regular trips to mountains no bother. Honestly the best investment we've made.
    Have you considered Thule, BOB or TFK? Brands worth considering.
    I ran 2-3times a week while on mat leave (anything from 5-10k) pushing her majesty and appreciated the fact I could go anywhere I wanted and not limited to paved roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

I had a running buggy for last kid. It certainly helped give the missus a breather now and again. Useful for parkruns and easy runs. Why anyone would want to push their kid around a marathon for hours is beyond me, the poor kid! Not sure why people want to pay money into races and then half ass them with a buggy either. I guess maybe you're thinking of running the marathon together it might make some sense!

My buggy looked like the first one and i got it for €50 on adverts

• Registered Users Posts: 6,172 ✭✭✭crisco10

iAcesHigh wrote: »
    1. Is it worth getting a dedicated running jogger? Mostly we are talking about shorter runs, but would your suggestion change if I would actually like to run a marathon with my kid in the buggy?
    2. If you think running buggy is needed, what would you suggest? What would you think about two models above?

Defo get a running buggy, especially if there are two of you who would use it. The large (fixed) wheels give a more comfortable and safer ride at higher speeds and variable surfaces. Most commonly held advice is baby shouldn't go running until 6 months old when it has some strength in its neck and can sit up a bit.

Re what type to get. We have a Nipper Sport, and I love it. But it is only really useful as a 2nd buggy, around the shops etc it is ungainly due to the large fixed front wheel. I think there are lighter buggies, but the Sport is pretty light, and really good value. Which is important if it's really a luxury 2nd buggy.

For reference, I do about 30km a week with my buggy, the longest run being usually about 15km. What you start to hit is baby boredom, hunger or dirty nappies!

Baby running is a godsend, it's an everyone wins situation.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

If you are both runners, definitely get one. I have a BOB Ironman single, BOB Sports Utility Stroller double and Out n About Nipper (not sport) single and double. My kids are 3.5 and 22 months. They are mostly used for parkrun at this stage but was invaluable during my maternity leaves.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭BKWDR

Get a running one for sure. Only wasting time with a conventional buggy.
    We have the double out and about and picked it up off adverts.ie for a fraction.

Ps love the term "we're getting a baby..." 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

You can have both. We have a Bugaboo standard buggy and we bought the Bugaboo runner but it's just a chassis.

Great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

The standard Out'n'About Nipper has been good.
    Completely waterproof for the baby, you can have the front wheel either locked or movable, adjustable handlebar, easy enough to tip back for sleeps, can take a carseat or a basket for the baby to lie flat when very small.

Pick them up cheaply enough on adverts.
    It feels light and mobile.
    Downsides are no hand brake, a foot brake with a plastic mechanism that fails and slightly poor undercarriage storage.
    We have parkrun and ran on hardback Forestry roads, airplanes and even managed Dundrum Town Centre.
    It was/is our only buggy with one child.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Lazare wrote: »
    You can have both. We have a Bugaboo standard buggy and we bought the Bugaboo runner but it's just a chassis.

Great job.

How do you find the bugaboo running chassis? Considering it for the new year but fairly expensive considering its just the chassis. But would be good to be able to interchange with our normal base.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

As others said definitely get a running buggy, it scares me when I see some of the buggies that people run with at parkruns.

We have the Baby Jogger Summit X3. Had considered getting something not for running initially as you need the pram initially, but figured it wasn't worth the extra hassle and we were getting enough other extra stuff in the house anyway that we didn't need two buggies. Had the pram / carry cot for the baby Jogger. Didn't get much use out of it, but that's the same for most new born stuff as they grow so damned quickly.

Very happy with the Baby Jogger for running with and it has survived 4 years of extreme parkrunning on every possible type of course and other than the occasional flat tyre is still going strong with a 4.5 year old riding in it each week.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Alvin Holler

chris85 wrote: »
    How do you find the bugaboo running chassis? Considering it for the new year but fairly expensive considering its just the chassis. But would be good to be able to interchange with our normal base.

I find it great. Easy to change over. It is pretty big and you need a bit of space to store it but probably the better option than buying a specific running buggy.

• Advertisement

robinph wrote: »
    As others said definitely get a running buggy, it scares me when I see some of the buggies that people run with at parkruns.
    I've seen more than one person run around a 25 minute parkrun with a Maclaren umbrella stroller. That can't be comfortable for runner or child.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,038 ✭✭✭Neady83

iAcesHigh congratulations on your impending arrival. We're also "getting a kid" early next year :) and I love to run so after a lot of research, we finally settled on the Thule urban glide 2 and got the adapters for the car seat (we also didn't think it worth the hassle to have running and non-running buggy).

My other half was in the US last week for work so he actually picked it up over there a little cheaper than here. It's a bit of a chunky monkey but is seems very sturdy with a lockable front wheel and it looks good.

Emilie Forsberg and Killian Journet have the Thule for their little one so I'm more than happy to have something in common with them :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've seen more than one person run around a 25 minute parkrun with a Maclaren umbrella stroller. That can't be comfortable for runner or child.

That is nuts.

Would be dangerous territory for parkrun to get involved with what kind of buggy people can run with, but that they would be expected to have a word with someone running with a small baby in a sling/ back carrier I'd kind of hope someone had a word with people pushing those type of buggies at anything more than a slightly fast walk.

robinph wrote: »
    That is nuts.

Would be dangerous territory for parkrun to get involved with what kind of buggy people can run with, but that they would be expected to have a word with someone running with a small baby in a sling/ back carrier I'd kind of hope someone had a word with people pushing those type of buggies at anything more than a slightly fast walk.

I'd be inclined to agree. I have spares, I'd be happy to loan out one of mine to someone who wanted to do the local parkrun with a 6m+ baby and didn't have their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭gucci

Another reason to consider having the running buggy as a second buggy or extra buggy, is if we get caught in the rain or are in a mucky parkrun, we can just leave it in the shed until Sunday/Monday and have a fresh set of wheels for any weekend events that are immediately following the run!

We have a baby jogger, slightly different model to what you have shown I think , and it is very comfortable (its generally the first choice for our boy when its clean!) and folds up quickly and easily too.

BTW really consider going down the second hand route, I got ours for £25 on ebay over in UK where I live, lots of people buy or inherit baby equipment that they never use and it takes up a lot of room, so there can be great bargains to be found.

I think I have mentioned it before, the only downside to buggy running is your child will want to "go faster" when you are taking a casual stroll :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

chris85 wrote: »

It was expensive enough alright but I've gotten lots and lots of use out of it. Was a birthday present from my wife. I love it, so comfortable to run with over any terrain with it's big spoke wheels.

Looks really cool too :)

One tip though, make sure you buy a suitable pump for the tyres.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Bizeb

We have a Summit X3 and ended up using it as our main buggy - far smoother/lighter to move and the basket holds alot of stuff. I liked that the front wheel can be locked straight when running and also that the wheels came off easily so can fit in the small car. I did do a slow Parkrun with 4-wheeler with older child (she must have been 2+ at the time) but deffo need a proper running buggy with suspension for a 6m old. I'd suggest chatting up some buggy runners at Parkrun and trying out their buggies to see what works best for you. I think we got our X3 in an Amazon sale, keep an eye out in January!

Advertisement