Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bayliner 2455

• 16-12-2019 11:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭

would it be worth while getting an older bayliner with a busted engine and empowering it with a diesel engine (thinking isuzu trooper 3.1 engine marinised or similar) planning to use it for the odd weekend on lough derg

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

You would be better off getting a long block of the engine thats in it "probably a 5.7 mercruiser" https://marineparts.ie/?subcats=Y&pcode_from_q=Y&pshort=Y&pfull=Y&pname=Y&pkeywords=Y&search_performed=Y&q=long+block&dispatch=products.search that way all your hoses, engine mounts, electrics, bellhousing and gearbox will match up and you will have a true marine engine with a warranty for more or less the same price of fitting an old truck engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

fergal.b wrote:
    that way all your hoses, engine mounts, electrics, bellhousing and gearbox will match up and you will have a true marine engine with a warranty for more or less the same price of fitting an old truck engine.

I suppose just to throw it in I was thinking of changing the out drive to a diesel one, I'm thinking of doing this purely because of the fuel consumption of those mercruisers

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

If you don't use it at full tilt the V8's aren't too bad where you will be pushing a 3Lt to get the same speed, I also believe they are bring in a new law where you can only use road diesel in a boat no more of the cheep stuff :(

fergal.b wrote: »
    If you don't use it at full tilt the V8's aren't too bad where you will be pushing a 3Lt to get the same speed, I also believe they are bring in a new law where you can only use road diesel in a boat no more of the cheep stuff :(

when are they setting up the checkpoints out on the lakes :pac:

I dont mind loosing speed as long as it can plane and be reasonably economical ie. give you more range with a tank of fuel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Is this something d'EU is making them do or of their own volition?

If you had a removable tank the 5.7 could possibly be got to run on LPG. be a nice project to convert one

Is this something d'EU is making them do or of their own volition?

as far as I know d'EU have been after the government for years over this but I doubt there will be anything in the way of enforcement to be honest

Advertisement