Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can a 30.06 rifle bullet fit a 6.5mm rifle?

• 16-12-2019 3:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

My understanding is that a 30.06mm bullet is 7.62mm in diameter.

Could a 6.5mm rifle be re-bored to fit 30.06mm cartridges?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Short answer - no.

Long answer - yes but it'll cost a fortune.

If you are suggesting having a rifle barrel re-bored to 0.30 cal from 0.25cal it requires tooling and machine work that no gunsmith offers in this country and most gunsmith (worldwide) wouldn't. The only place to have a barrel "bored out" would be the manufacturer. It would require the use of one of the three methods of rifling a barrel to cut it to the new caliber.

Its cheaper and easier to simply buy a new barrel in the caliber you want and have that fitted. Whether the new caliber works with your current action/caliber depends on the type of action and bolt face you currently have. A 6.5 caliber rifle is a long action and large bolt face. A 30-06 is also a long action but i believe it requires a magnum so not such a large bolt face would suffice, but it may.

All the above requires licenses being changed to the new caliber or a second license if you intend to keep the original barrel/caliber. It'll also set you back in the region of €750 to €1,200 depending on make, caliber, etc.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Damoeire33

6.5 I thought was short action same case as necked down .308?

No and i suppose yes.

No in that when i hear 6.5 i think of the original 6.5x55 which requires a long action and was in existence well before the 308.

Yes in that if you think of the many other variations of a 6.5 caliber such as the 6.5 creedmoor, 6.5x47, etc. which are all short action, but not many have a parent case. The 6.5 Creedmoor was developed from the 0.30TC and is shorter and has a different shoulder angle than the 308 while the 6.5x47 has no parent case and was developed by Lapua using other casings as a template, but not directly "copying" them.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Meant to say the length of the action has no real bearing to the ability to "re-bore" a rifle barrel. I only mentioned it as an explanation that if the barrel could be done there are other factors to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Yeah .30-06 is long action so anything long action in 6.5mm which has the same bolt face or compatible base diameter. 6.5x55 or 6.5x284 would both work I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

there are two methods one is bore out the barrel and rerifle it but no one can do that here
    the second option is to line the bore with a barrel liner but i wouldnt have it done in Ireland.
    you would be better off having it rebarreled. but again i wouldn't have anyone in Ireland do it.

why 3006? a 308 will do pretty much anything a 3006 will do that is exactly what it was designed to do.

Advertisement