Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buy a property outright or get a mortgage?

• 15-12-2019 11:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

A question for you folks, if you were in the fortunate position of being able to buy a property outright with cash would you do it or use some of the cash and get a mortgage for the rest? For this example see figures below

Property worth 350k

Max mortgage eligibility- 200k

Savings - 400k

What would you do in this scenario, if you bought outright you would have 50k left in savings, what would be the pros/cons of buying outright v getting mortgage and topping up with savings

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭spakman

Is this just a brag?
    I dont see any advantage in taking out a mortgage that you have to pay interest on when you don't need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Bigboldworld

spakman wrote: »
    Is this just a brag?
    I dont see any advantage in taking out a mortgage that you have to pay interest on when you don't need to.

No honestly not a brag, a friend may be coming into an inheritance and it was to get thoughts on pros/cons of putting all of your money into a house or holding a lot back to have as security money etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

It’s not a simple question, as it would depend on persons tax status and income for mortgage interest relief and also what was going to happen to the liquid money , ie would it just be left in an account or invested in low risk or high risk products or bonds .

But simply buying outright for cash would be much better than borrowing a mortgage and leaving the cash on deposit, no argument whatsoever. There’s also legal costs and admin cost in getting a mortgage and getting rid of it.

Just because everyone else is unfortunate to have a mortgage is not good enough reason to have one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭work

A mortgage is the lowest rate loan SO if you don't want to do anything with the money other than put it into your home gp for it. Anything that could require a loan in future like a car loan, holiday, school fees or business development then a residential mortgage is the cheapest money. If none apply then of course buy for cash.
    I do not see any other angle on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Don Joe

work wrote: »
    A mortgage is the lowest rate loan SO if you don't want to do anything with the money other than put it into your home gp for it. Anything that could require a loan in future like a car loan, holiday, school fees or business development then a residential mortgage is the cheapest money. If none apply then of course buy for cash.
    I do not see any other angle on this.

Except you'll likely be paying a mortgage back a lot longer than a car loan.

Buy the house outright, you said there'd still be cash left over. With no mortgage or rent there's no reason a working person can't grow the savings pot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Rose of Lima

If the house would be for personal use, then buy outright. He would be dipping into his spare €50k a little to have his survey and legal fees done, at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

If you believe you can invest the money well enough to make more interest than you will pay on the mortgage, then get the mortgage and invest the rest.
    If you want the security of having a paid-off house, then go for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

you could essentially burn into a lot of your 50k savings to furnish the house if you buy it outright for the 350k

maybe mortgage 100k, 20k to furnish etc and rest as a nest egg maybe investing some of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I would get out a mortgage and buy my first home with it, then with the remaining money, put it into an investment property and rent it out to students.

Advertisement