Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

New NOx VRT levy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Casati

In his case, out of his arse.

For the correct numbers, you can find the correct NOx values from a site such as https://www.nextgreencar.com/ and then calculate it using this table:

Amount payable per mg/km
    The first 0-60 mg/km: €5
    The next 20 mg/km or part thereof up to 80 mg/km: €15
    The remainder above 80 mg/km: €25
    The NOx charge will be capped at a maximum of €4,850 for diesel vehicles and €600 for other vehicles.

Checked the Volvo S90 T8 plug in and it’s saying NOx is zero? Surely only a Bev could be zero

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

In his case, out of his arse.

For the correct numbers, you can find the correct NOx values from a site such as https://www.nextgreencar.com/ and then calculate it using this table:

Amount payable per mg/km
    The first 0-60 mg/km: €5
    The next 20 mg/km or part thereof up to 80 mg/km: €15
    The remainder above 80 mg/km: €25
    The NOx charge will be capped at a maximum of €4,850 for diesel vehicles and €600 for other vehicles.

So a car at 55MG will only cost a fiver more on VRT????

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭easyvision

No 5X55 so €275

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Truckermal wrote: »
    So a car at 55MG will only cost a fiver more on VRT????

"Amount payable per kg/km" is the important bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

"Amount payable per kg/km" is the important bit.

Ah yes I will VRT my one straight away so and avoid that..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29 steven1987

So what would a

2016 ford focus 1.5 diesel
    Compared to a

2016 ford focus 1 EcoBoost petrol

Is this also on Van's cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

Does anyone know how to find out the new tax Nox of cars from the uk and else where and how to calculate it.. hearing varies stories about is and am found the different bacnd bu no way to find out the nox of the car your looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭Whocare

gerryirl wrote: »
    Does anyone know how to find out the new tax Nox of cars from the uk and else where and how to calculate it.. hearing varies stories about is and am found the different bacnd bu no way to find out the nox of the car your looking at

It on the V5

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭gerryirl

Whocare wrote: »
    It on the V5

but if your looking at it on the interent is there a data base some where for cars as you may not have access to V5

• Registered Users Posts: 5 iloveknowledge

Does anyone know what will happen if/when Brexit goes ahead in terms of importing a car from the UK. Will there be other taxes/tarriffs in addition to VRT and this NOx levy? Will it be simply prohibitive to import?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭September1

Does anyone know what will happen if/when Brexit goes ahead in terms of importing a car from the UK. Will there be other taxes/tarriffs in addition to VRT and this NOx levy? Will it be simply prohibitive to import?

If withdraw agreement is passed on Friday then UK would as it it was inside EU for another year. What happens after transition period is up to EU and UK to negotiate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Does anyone know, If a car for example, is imported December 2019 and a VRT booking is not until January will it be liable for the new nox charge ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,785 ✭✭✭User1998

homer90 wrote: »
    Does anyone know, If a car for example, is imported December 2019 and a VRT booking is not until January will it be liable for the new nox charge ?

Yes it will

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭toby2111

Anyone have a rough idea what the extra charge will be on a 2017 skoda octavia imported from the North?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

toby2111 wrote: »
    Anyone have a rough idea what the extra charge will be on a 2017 skoda octavia imported from the North?

Probably very little if it’s actually a 2017 car. Might be 2/300 but the VRT on diesel is dropping my a percent in Jan anyway so should balance out.

L-M wrote: »
    Probably very little if it’s actually a 2017 car. Might be 2/300 but the VRT on diesel is dropping my a percent in Jan anyway so should balance out.

Cheers. Looking at changing in the new year. Slightly off topic, but is diesel still a good shout for me? Do about 500km each week, mostly motorway driving.

Cheers. Looking at changing in the new year. Slightly off topic, but is diesel still a good shout for me? Do about 500km each week, mostly motorway driving.

Yes

The Octavia I'm interested in up north has emissions of mg/km 106, which according to that new nox table will work out at €1250!! Am I working that correctly?
    60x5
    20x15
    26x25=€1250

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ger406

The Octavia I'm interested in up north has emissions of mg/km 106, which according to that new nox table will work out at €1250!! Am I working that correctly?
    60x5
    20x15
    26x25=€1250

1250 plus current vrt cost

Ger406 wrote: »
    1250 plus current vrt cost

So not the 300 mentioned earlier.

• Advertisement

60x5
    20x15
    26x25=€1250

Youre looking at the CO2 not the NOX

The NOX will be on the V5 and it should read something like .032 etc

If you check here

https://www.nextgreencar.com/emissions/make-model/skoda/octavia+hatch/#manu-results

It’s 28-32. I checked a VRS recently and it was 32

Youre looking at the CO2 not the NOX

The NOX will be on the V5 and it should read something like .032 etc

Ah OK, I thought it was based on co2 emissions. Is there any Irish site that can give definite figures? That's probably being way too ambitious!

Ah OK, I thought it was based on co2 emissions. Is there any Irish site that can give definite figures? That's probably being way too ambitious!

No, you need to ask for a Copy of the V5 to be 100 percent certain because the car could be a 2015 model registered in 2017 etc

Also remember the VRT on diesels is dropping down by 1 percent in January so in reality one should balance out the other.

You would be safe enough taking the VRT off the cacluator as near enough your final bill including NOX. Just make sure you see the V5 before you confirm a deal

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Casati

No, you need to ask for a Copy of the V5 to be 100 percent certain because the car could be a 2015 model registered in 2017 etc

Also remember the VRT on diesels is dropping down by 1 percent in January so in reality one should balance out the other.

You would be safe enough taking the VRT off the cacluator as near enough your final bill including NOX. Just make sure you see the V5 before you confirm a deal

I hope you check that the car your buying wasn’t made two years previously either

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Was looking through VW's website there and a GTI has a slightly lower nox than the 1.5 TSI, that can't be right?

Casati wrote: »
    I hope you check that the car your buying wasn’t made two years previously either

I was just checking a stock car to see was there any point in VRTing it before Christmas, which there wasn’t

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

I'm buying a 500se 92 from the UK and bring in before end of year. Unfortunately there are no available dates in the country for an appointment before year end. Do I appeal the new nox tax levy then in Jan?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

lomb wrote: »
    I'm buying a 500se 92 from the UK and bring in before end of year. Unfortunately there are no available dates in the country for an appointment before year end. Do I appeal the new nox tax levy then in Jan?

I doubt that you will be able to appeal, the regulations won't be changed because you bought too late in the year to clear it. Your only hope is to get a cancellation before the new year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

lomb wrote: »

Look to VRT it at a different office, you can book an appointment at any office in the country so you should be able to find a date somewhere within a reasonable distance to you.

Advertisement