Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Presidents cup 2019

• 13-12-2019 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭

Okay not everyone’s cup of tea but if the father and son competition has a thread on this forum then surely the presidents cup deserves one. International team take a 4 -1 lead after yesterday’s fourballs. Hopefully they can keep it going . Golf course not the longest, but looks tricky. Playing very firm and fast , maybe not to the Americans taste

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,106 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

6.5 to 3.5 now. Times dont suit so not watching, maybe tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,434 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Haven't seen any of it myself either. By the sound of things, did the International team look at the European approach to the Ryder Cup, going for a tight tricky course rather than a bombers paradise?

Americans should really be strolling it based on the strength of the teams on paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TheFarneyman

Ernie picking his team using statistical analysis, if they win for the first time in 30 years, it'll surely change the way all teams approach fourball/foursome combinations and pairings. "The Moneyball of Golf"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

International team really need to get this done now for the sake of the competition.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Ernie picking his team using statistical analysis, if they win for the first time in 30 years, it'll surely change the way all teams approach fourball/foursome combinations and pairings. "The Moneyball of Golf"

What statistical analysis did he use?

All I can find is the below, and it isn't anything other than having a 'hunch' which has been used in pretty much all team based events before as a 'revolutionary idea' - Ryder Cup, Mosconi Cup etc. (putting a veteran with a rookie)

There's so much more that comes into it than that. If it's just going by trends where he copped the mix of veterans & rookies in the past has worked well, it's just copying trends.

I was actually hoping to read something class here ha

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/presidents-cup-2019-international-team-captain-ernie-els-pushes-the-right-buttons-on-day-one#

• Advertisement

Think he's using 15th club.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Think he's using 15th club.

Cool - They'd actually be a rival of the company I'm with.

The article suggests it's revolutionary when literally every sportsperson/team worldwide in every sport is using high level performance analysis now.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Cool - They'd actually be a rival of the company I'm with.

The article suggests it's revolutionary when literally every sportsperson/team worldwide in every sport is using high level performance analysis now.

What company are you with?

Tbh I'd doubt the Americans would be using it. They didn't in Paris ARAIR.

I'd say Tiger is just picking lads he thinks will work well together.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

What company are you with?

Tbh I'd doubt the Americans would be using it. They didn't in Paris ARAIR.

I'd say Tiger is just picking lads he thinks will work well together.

Stats Perform

Clients for Golf include European Tour, LPGA Tour, Champions Tour (and a lot of media/betting companies)

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭TheFarneyman

Yes using the 15th club I heard. He made the picks on pairing lads together that complement each others game,ie. better short game numbers, putts and driving accuracy etc. I presume. I'm sure it's not rocket science or anything but will get them a right bit of business out of it I'm sure.

• Advertisement

I'd doubt it would have much impact on the golf but by putting (intended) the rumour out it's makes it sound that Ernie has a secret weapon. Bit of a placebo to boost confidence.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'd doubt it would have much impact on the golf but by putting (intended) the rumour out it's makes it sound that Ernie has a secret weapon. Bit of a placebo to boost confidence.

Exactly - I mean, other than going through player's team-play records etc, the only things he can go by are history of types of pairings.

Player form partially goes out the window for team events imo. Mentality can be key.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,528 ✭✭✭Deeper Blue

USA lucky to only be 3 points down, internationals were up in all 5 matches yesterday at one stage.

Of the three matches that went down 18 all square the US won two and halved one via clutch putts from Thomas, Cantlay and Fowler.

Could easily have been looking at an 8-2 scoreline here.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Patrick reeds caddy got himself into a row with a spectator which ending in a shoving match. PGA have banned him from caddying in the singles.

Reed just can’t stay out of the headlines ffs. Has lost all 3 matches too to go along with his dismal Ryder cup record last year. Think the captain America tag is gone now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭RikkFlair

Watching this reminds me, whatever happened to the Seve Trophy? Europeans dont need the practice I suppose.

There was talk a few years ago about moving the USPGA around the world, to give other continents a shot at holding a major, Royal Melbourne should be top of that list, what a course this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

This is fascinating viewing. Such a pity, the times are tricky but will probably stay up.

Loads of storylines, bitterness and unreal golf.

Far more interesting than any ryder cup in the last ten years (bar 2012 maybe)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,000 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Patrick reeds caddy got himself into a row with a spectator which ending in a shoving match. PGA have banned him from caddying in the singles.
    Afaik, that's his brother in law. Nice chap by the look of it.

Reed just can’t stay out of the headlines ffs. Has lost all 3 matches too to go along with his dismal Ryder cup record last year. Think the captain America tag is gone now.

Reed deserves everything coming his way. Blatant cheating that he barely accepted with a pathetic excuse. In massive contrast to McIlroy when he called an official in when touching a clump that happened to be sand, and accepted the penalty with no issue.

I get the feeling (with zero substance to back it up) that captains hate he plays his way into a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,150 ✭✭✭✭LuckyGent88

Mushy wrote: »
    Reed deserves everything coming his way. Blatant cheating that he barely accepted with a pathetic excuse. In massive contrast to McIlroy when he called an official in when touching a clump that happened to be sand, and accepted the penalty with no issue.

I get the feeling (with zero substance to back it up) that captains hate he plays his way into a team.

He got a pick for this team though. Doubt he will for any other team he doesn’t automatically qualify for.

Anyway, hope he gets more abuse today and is beaten. Think it will be tight in the end but the internationals will scrape over the line

This is fascinating viewing. Such a pity, the times are tricky but will probably stay up.

Loads of storylines, bitterness and unreal golf.

Far more interesting than any ryder cup in the last ten years (bar 2012 maybe)

2010 was class too in fairness!

President's cup in South Korea in 2015 was good also but apart from that I can't remember any of them.

• Advertisement

He got a pick for this team though. Doubt he will for any other team he doesn’t automatically qualify for.

Anyway, hope he gets more abuse today and is beaten. Think it will be tight in the end but the internationals will scrape over the line

Thought he was automatically in. I can imagine Woods in despair at it all

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Doesn’t look like he’ll be beaten or get much abuse. Looks like 5 up after 5.

Kuchar holes the winning putt

What a chance wasted by the internationals

Woods beats Els yet again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Tried to watch as much as i can before dozing off. Really good stuff. Probably helped by such a good course. Perfect for matchplay.

Shame it wasnt on at a better time

• Registered Users Posts: 20,339 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

NDWC wrote: »
    Kuchar holes the winning putt

What a chance wasted by the internationals

Woods beats Els yet again

When I fell asleep around 2am, Kuchar was a couple down. First time hes ever not been beaten in singles at the presidents.

Great turn around from cam smith but Hideki really blew that. Louis blew it.

I'd have to ask how leishman got to play all 5 games. He was atrocious and wouldn't have earned any points at all only for he was CARRIED by ancer in the foursomes. That's definitely a blot in Els copybook for me. Guy was clearly well out of form

• Registered Users Posts: 7,390 ✭✭✭Trampas

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Format needs a shake up, just way too one sided

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Golfhead65

slave1 wrote: »
    Format needs a shake up, just way too one sided

The Americans wont want anything to change,sure they love it as they nearly always win it unlike The Ryder Cup where there is always rumblings of discontent, ie Mickleson on Watson's Captaincy

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,674 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Wouldn't a once off three way US/Europe/ROW format be interesting

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

slave1 wrote: »
    Wouldn't a once off three way US/Europe/ROW format be interesting

or Europe v Rest of the World.

Leave the mashed potatoe brigade at home!!!:)

Advertisement