Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Volvo XC40

• 13-12-2019 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭

Didn't see a thread for this car yet, Volvo's first fully electric car.

Nice looking car with 78kW battery and "400+ Kms of range" allegedly.

https://www.volvocars.com/intl/cars/xc40-pure-electric

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be available in Ireland until late 2020 ;(

Nice new addition to EVs here (eventually).

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I was in Brussels recently and seen one on display. Lovely looking car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,459 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Really like the look that, particularly in green! Extremely partial to Volvos though.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭TOLLOT

Did a bit of digging on it some weeks back , circa mid October Test drove an ICE model to get a feel for platform.
    Dealer suggested 60 to 70 k. Could take an order next summer ish . Suggested hybrid in the meanwhile.
    Beautiful looking machine but I was surprised at price
    Afair he didn’t expect it in 2020.
    Asked to kept in the loop but remember thinking seemed a long way off .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Casati

TOLLOT wrote: »
    Did a bit of digging on it some weeks back , circa mid October Test drove an ICE model to get a feel for platform.
    Dealer suggested 60 to 70 k. Could take an order next summer ish . Suggested hybrid in the meanwhile.
    Beautiful looking machine but I was surprised at price
    Afair he didn’t expect it in 2020.
    Asked to kept in the loop but remember thinking seemed a long way off .

70k is serious dough, are they basically Tiguan sized? I would think the T5 plug - in might be a good option but probably 50/60k

• Registered Users Posts: 12,066 ✭✭✭✭KCross

It has 1,500 kg towing! That will draw a few people in.

Upto 150kW charge speed.

tbf, the spec is decent but if its an extra €20k to go BEV it will be a problem I'd say.

• Advertisement

Casati wrote: »
    70k is serious dough, are they basically Tiguan sized? I would think the T5 plug - in might be a good option but probably 50/60k

I think they're even smaller. 70k though!?! I was secretly hoping for 50 at the max... Oh well.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭TOLLOT

I’d allowed myself to get sucked in , following the launch etc.
    I’d a right soft spot for it , have had a Volvo before
    Was hoping if would be circa 55k , maybe a 10k premium over ICE version was what I was expecting.
    Was a bit taken aback by pricing here and even lead time post launch .
    I’d guess a little tidier than a Tiguan size wise
    Spec looked v decent .
    Tow hitch was 1800 extra , it came as a type of pack

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Akabusi

Is the hybrid 50 - 60k? also any word on what battery is in the Hybrid? It is lovely looking

• Registered Users Posts: 15,512 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

60 TO 70k is just to much for this. It is supposed to be a relativly spacious car but that is just way to much for it.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Akabusi wrote: »
    Is the hybrid 50 - 60k? also any word on what battery is in the Hybrid? It is lovely looking

Just checked - the T5 PHEV in starts at 54k list for R Design spec so with a few option packs most will be 60k on the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

An xc40 is 50k abouts so 70k for an ev is nuts. Even if your spending 3k a year on diesel commuting 25 to 30k a year that's still 6+ years before you break even...

Lantus wrote: »
    An xc40 is 50k abouts so 70k for an ev is nuts. Even if your spending 3k a year on diesel commuting 25 to 30k a year that's still 6+ years before you break even...

It starts at 37K.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

It starts at 37K.

Thats true

Good value that

Nice diesel version for 40k

Not much Volvo can do about it either

A battery of 80kWh with all that fancy liquid cooling is well over 10k alone, probably closer to 15k all.

High power dual electric motor, inverter, controller, charge port and all that craic another 10k

It wouldn't surprise me if all that tech to replace an engine and fuel tank came to 25k on its own, madness really

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Thats true

Good value that

Nice diesel version for 40k

Not much Volvo can do about it either

A battery of 80kWh with all that fancy liquid cooling is well over 10k alone, probably closer to 15k all.

High power dual electric motor, inverter, controller, charge port and all that craic another 10k

It wouldn't surprise me if all that tech to replace an engine and fuel tank came to 25k on its own, madness really

It’s 400bhp and AWD too with 0-60 less than 5 seconds. I don’t understand why they offer it with such a powerful motor, would a 150bhp EV with maybe a 65kw battery not much cheaper to make and more in line with the power produced by the diesel D3?

It’s 400bhp and AWD too with 0-60 less than 5 seconds. I don’t understand why they offer it with such a powerful motor, would a 150bhp EV with maybe a 65kw battery not much cheaper to make and more in line with the power produced by the diesel D3?

Adding probably bhp doesn't cost them much extra

A 65kWh battery , single electric motor etc will still cost bones of 20k

Read a good post from an EV enthusiast who does conversions and he costed something like a big battery Bolt/Kona 64kWh and it's parts at 20k in a breakdown

Off the shelf moderate power 204bhp permanent magnet motor was almost 10k alone

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Much like Elon didn't start selling the $30k model 3 Volvo, and most of the the other manufacturers, are selling premium vehicles to make more money. Why sell a €30k car when you can sell a €70k version.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Much like Elon didn't start selling the $30k model 3 Volvo, and most of the the other manufacturers, are selling premium vehicles to make more money. Why sell a €30k car when you can sell a €70k version.

Because only a handful of people will pay 70k for one. What the point of having a very profitable car that practically nobody can afford?

Because only a handful of people will pay 70k for one. What the point of having a very profitable car that practically nobody can afford?

Compliance car like what every other autogiant are producing to meet emission quota

The likes of Ferrari dont have to make these compliance cars as they sell less than 10,000 per year and are exempt, rest have to make them

That will change soon, from 2025 on expect your 65kWh 150bhp XC40

Battery prices should be down to €50 per kWh then and emission targets will force them to produce it

• Registered Users Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Lads... There's plenty of 70k cars on Irish roads. Plenty.

I pass by them every day.

Going on like people won't buy them... Of course they will.

listermint wrote: »
    Lads... There's plenty of 70k cars on Irish roads. Plenty.

I pass by them every day.

Going on like people won't buy them... Of course they will.

I think you’re missing the point that it’s almost 2x the cost of an ICE model. It’s like the e golf only being a 70 grand model. Almost no one would go near it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

I think you’re missing the point that it’s almost 2x the cost of an ICE model. It’s like the e golf only being a 70 grand model. Almost no one would go near it.

And they'll still sell like hot cakes. Look how Tesla got loads of deposits for a $30k car yet only sold
    the $60k version. People pay big money for a Mercedes when a Dacia is a fraction of the price.

Actually I'm sure it will sell well just like 1200eu smart phones that use the same Internet as the 200eu model. It gives the well off an opportunity to get something new and trendy on their drives while virtue signalling their enviro credentials. The xc40 and range are top cars so they still have good cars at the end of the day. But from an economic perspective it makes zero sense.

It starts at 37K.

Yikes, let's say an average is low 40s for the mid model, that's a 25k+ diff...
    Or 10 years of diesel driving 500km+ a week.

Lantus wrote: »
    Actually I'm sure it will sell well just like 1200eu smart phones that use the same Internet as the 200eu model. It gives the well off an opportunity to get something new and trendy on their drives while virtue signalling their enviro credentials. The xc40 and range are top cars so they still have good cars at the end of the day. But from an economic perspective it makes zero sense.

I don’t know, I’m a recent Volvo fan but 70k is too much when the larger T8 XC60 is the same price (or less). E300e is 58k too.

Some folks will pay a premium for Tesla as it cements their eco credentials but ito the avg Joe your ev XC40 could be 2.0 diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 33,573 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I don’t know, I’m a recent Volvo fan but 70k is too much when the larger T8 XC60 is the same price (or less). E300e is 58k too.

Some folks will pay a premium for Tesla as it cements their eco credentials but ito the avg Joe your ev XC40 could be 2.0 diesel

You keep saying average Joe. It's not the average Joe buying new xc60s. I've already explained the multitudes of 70k plus vehicles on the roads. Do you think average punters are paying a third the price of their houses for cars..

It's not the average Joe buying

listermint wrote: »
    You keep saying average Joe. It's not the average Joe buying new xc60s. I've already explained the multitudes of 70k plus vehicles on the roads. Do you think average punters are paying a third the price of their houses for cars..

It's not the average Joe buying

The avg Joe isn’t the buyer it’s the person referred to seeing the car parked on the drive.

Some people will get a Tesla as a status symbol / to show off their eco credentials as almost everybody knows Tesla only make ev’s. Having a 70k ev Volvo that looks the same as the 40k model doesn’t have the same effect.

You might be right and they might sell like hot cakes, people are splashing a lot of cash on stuff that doesn’t make economic sense like it’s 2006 again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I think you misunderstood his point. He isn't talking about the average Joe buying them, but the average Joe coming across them out and about. I think he means that, to the average Joe, a Tesla they see on the road is an EV. It's got green credentials built in. But an average Joe seeing an XC40 on the road, it may not be as obvious and as far as they are concerned, it could easily be a big dirty diesel. It's not got such obvious green credentials. People may be willing to pay more for the obvious green than the not so obvious.

Not that I'm saying the XC40 won't sell, but there is a point there probably affecting the level of sales.

JohnC. wrote: »
    I think you misunderstood his point. He isn't talking about the average Joe buying them, but the average Joe coming across them out and about. I think he means that, to the average Joe, a Tesla they see on the road is an EV. It's got green credentials built in. But an average Joe seeing an XC40 on the road, it may not be as obvious and as far as they are concerned, it could easily be a big dirty diesel. It's not got such obvious green credentials. People may be willing to pay more for the obvious green than the not so obvious.

Not that I'm saying the XC40 won't sell, but there is a point there probably affecting the level of sales.

The classic narcissist only needs to impress their influencing circle. Neighbours, family, friends, work colleagues and others in their circle to feel fulfilled from the adoration and sense of self importance being bolstered.

The fact they aren't recognised on the m50 won't concern them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

BolandsWexfordVolvo_galleryImg_1366x912_XC40_1.jpg

A year on, Bjorn has been reviewing one.

€47k in Norway - would be popular here I reckon if it comes in under the €50k threshold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

Kramer wrote: »
    BolandsWexfordVolvo_galleryImg_1366x912_XC40_1.jpg

A year on, Bjorn has been reviewing one.

€47k in Norway - would be popular here I reckon if it comes in under the €50k threshold.

I was told by a Volvo garage that it would be 2022 realistically before they are on these shores . He kept trying to flog the phev and said the 5k grant was going next March on the phev

Advertisement