Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ruger precision .22lr rifle Garda ban??

• 14-12-2019 7:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭

I'm hearing from 2 people that the Garda are not going to license these firearms.

1. A close friend bought a Ruger precision 2.22lr rifle from Red Mills in Kilkeeny within the last couple of months. He was in during this week and the dealer told him 'How lucky' hs was to get it as the Garda are not going to issue licenses for these in the future.

2. A friend and club member has been refused a license lately for the Ruger precision .22lr rifle in a Dublin district.
    Two reasons in writing are (goes someting like)........
    'There are too many criminals using these weapons on my streets'
    'It looks like a Military weapon'

He is going the High court route to get the license.
    Are his costs covered now when he wins??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

clivej wrote: »
    I'm hearing from 2 people that the Garda are not going to license these firearms.

1. A close friend bought a Ruger precision 2.22lr rifle from Red Mills in Kilkeeny within the last couple of months. He was in during this week and the dealer told him 'How lucky' hs was to get it as the Garda are not going to issue licenses for these in the future.

2. A friend and club member has been refused a license lately for the Ruger precision .22lr rifle in a Dublin district.

Heard about the person out in hh. Was their not a third person a few months ago? Mad though when you see all the hammerli tac r1 and the issc mk22 being licenced no prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭clivej

Heard about the person out in hh. Was their not a third person a few months ago? Mad though when you see all the hammerli tac r1 and the issc mk22 being licenced no prob.

Yes now you say there was another person in HH that was refused a license.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

clivej wrote: »

Sounds like utter bollix from his Super TBH.

First off it is a a bolt action .22 rifle so nothing restricted or even unrestricted in it either.Just has a target stock

2] The reasons given for refusal in this case are rubbish,and are harking to the olf "Idont like de look o dat now!" time again. There have been enough DC cases to prove time and time again with Restricted firearms ,FORM DOES NOT FOLLOW FUNCTION,and before anyone starts with "DC cases are not courts of record etc... True,however there are too many DC cases now taken that were in our favor,for a judge to go against the grain on those points.

Also,the Super will need to explain and define what does a "military weapon" look like and [2] his own statement that there are too many weapons of this type on HIS streets!! The fecking AUDACITY of that statement will sound great in court:mad:. This super sounds like they need a good legal biatch slapping for a starter on where their authorithy begins and ends.Also,they dont sound very competent if they cant get those weapons offf "their " streets.Another point in your friends favour.

3] Think the District court would be first port of call,not the High court?:pac: And yes and no on costs.It can be the left to the judges discretion whether he awards costs or reserves judgement on a case. So NEVER take it as a done deal either.Also,it would be stupid for a Super to allow this to go to court on just what you have presented here,as there are no good reasons for refusal. I have the feeling there is more to this story?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Click Bait??...
    Know your Rights & stand up for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Black plastic is pure evil i tells ya.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭J.R.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    First off it is a a bolt action .22 rifle so nothing restricted or even unrestricted in it either.Just has a target stock

Would the fact that it hold 15 + 1 rounds make it a restricted firearm?

If the RFD is Red Mills know one person who was granted a licence then the super refusing the licence is contradicting the judgement of another super who granted it to another person. Should be the same rules for all.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭clivej

J.R. wrote: »

If the RFD is Red Mills know one person who was granted a licence then the super refusing the licence is contradicting the judgement of another super who granted it to another person. Should be the same rules for all.

'Should be the same rules for all'

Yes but time and time again it never is

J.R. wrote: »

It would,but there is nothing to say you cant block or aquire a mag to ten rounds,or the super making that a precondition of issuance of the license.
    Indeed it should be one rule for all,and thats what the FPU is for to issue guidelines on this to Supers and other Garda personel when they have a question like this.
    Irrespective,it is not the resons given by this Super.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    thats what the FPU is for to issue guidelines on this to Supers and other Garda personel when they have a question like this

The last time I had reason to speak with the FPU, there was a sea change in their attitude towards licensees. Not a good change either.

This attitude is now pervasive unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭tudderone

Kramer wrote: »
    The last time I had reason to speak with the FPU, there was a sea change in their attitude towards licensees. Not a good change either.

I had to ring them once years ago when the bullcrap was going on with the centrefire pistol licences, and found them to be as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike.

• Advertisement

Kramer wrote: »

Must have been awhile ago,they got badly burned ,and lost their cheif expert in the DC cases,and after the Dail enquiry.And have been burnt again in a DC case by one of our friends here.

Advertisement