Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dunnes wine selection

• 13-12-2019 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭

Rarely shop in Dunnes but seeing as they're doing 25% off 6 or more wines and I also have a €25 off a €100 spend looking to pick up up some good bottles, probably 6 red and 3-4 white, anything someone can recommend? I like big full bodied reds and also something like a pinot noir, whites I'm open to suggestions in general

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,793 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I had put some red suggestions here on different thread:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111990386&postcount=6914

Dunnes have a couple of full bodied Aussie reds you'll probably like:
    * Clancy's Red bland
    * The Stump Jump GSM

For Pinot Noir & White, maybe Peter Yealand from NZ.
    zzzWineJan18a_large.jpg?width=648&s=ie-824841

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The Sunday Times wine critic described the Laurent Miquel Albarino, 2018, Lagrasse as "the best-value white in Ireland".

It was €10 a week or so ago and I picked up a couple of bottles but haven't tried one yet.

"Classic pear and peach fruit plus minerality" - apparently.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

That's great, cheers folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

There's a 2015 Bordeaux Supérieur called Beauchamps at €13.50 which is lovely. Buy 6 and it's absurdly cheap.

Slaphead07 wrote: »
    There's a 2015 Bordeaux Supérieur called Beauchamps at €13.50 which is lovely. Buy 6 and it's absurdly cheap.

Bechereau not Beauchamps just to be pedantic!

• Advertisement

Bechereau not Beauchamps just to be pedantic!

You're quite right. But it's Béchereau to be exact :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Ludikrus

Rarely shop in Dunnes but seeing as they're doing 25% off 6 or more wines and I also have a €25 off a €100 spend looking to pick up up some good bottles, probably 6 red and 3-4 white, anything someone can recommend? I like big full bodied reds and also something like a pinot noir, whites I'm open to suggestions in general

Do you know if it's 25% off in points or cash?

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Hugo_Whoriskey

Ludikrus wrote: »
    Do you know if it's 25% off in points or cash?

25% off in cash. Coupled with spend and save vouchers it gets very cheap!

Thanks for the further suggestions too

• Registered Users Posts: 7,202 ✭✭✭facehugger99

The Sunday Times wine critic described the Laurent Miquel Albarino, 2018, Lagrasse as "the best-value white in Ireland".

It was €10 a week or so ago and I picked up a couple of bottles but haven't tried one yet.

"Classic pear and peach fruit plus minerality" - apparently.

Had some over the weekend and can confirm it's eminently quaffable.

I think I've heard good things about the Laurent Miquel reds also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,832 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

They had Faustino I Rioja (2008 vintage I think) for €21 last weekend, if that offer is still on it's fantastic value. Great for Xmas dinner. Campo Viejo and Marques de Caceres Riojas are great too.

Laurent Miquel reds are lovely too, €9-12

Lindemans have some nice reds too at about a tenner. They have a cheaper one for €8.50 which is okay.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Tesco have a far superior range of wine

Maybe. But they rarely run the 25% off 6 bottles promo or dole out spend and save coupons.
    I have noticed that the same branded wine RRP price in Dunnes can be 1-2 euros higher than Tesco. If I was buying single bottle Tesco would be better bet than Dunnes.

But theres still some good value in Dunnes especially given the double promo.

I find their wines undrinkable. The odd time I risk a bottle it goes down the sink.

Advertisement