Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GW17 Captain Poll

• 13-12-2019 10:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 42,079 ✭✭✭✭

Who's your money on this gameweek?

Vardy will be the poll leader I'd imagine but Liverpool assets could offer some cheeky differentials.

Who will be your captain? 147 votes

Mane (WAT)
    48% 72 votes
    Salah (WAT)
    5% 8 votes
    TAA (WAT)
    7% 11 votes
    Robertson (WAT)
    0% 0 votes
    Abraham (BOU)
    0% 0 votes
    Vardy (NOR)
    2% 3 votes
    Ings (WHU)
    34% 51 votes
    Rashford (EVE)
    0% 0 votes
    Son (wol)
    0% 1 vote
    Kane (wol)
    0% 0 votes
    De Bruyne (ars)
    0% 0 votes
    Sterling (ars)
    0% 0 votes
    Other (Comment in thread)
    0% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭HelloYoungBoy

Who's your money on this gameweek?

Vardy will be the poll leader I'd imagine but Liverpool assets could offer some cheeky differentials.

Going for broke with Vardy as TC

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Gotta be Vardy.

Although Watford tend to concede a shed load of goals to Liverpool,Mane or Salah could pick up a big score.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Vardy is the obvious, safe option.

Salah is really tempting me though. Memories of his 4 goal haul against Watford in Anfield 2 years ago!.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 17,375 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Going safe this week and picking vardy so expect him to blank given all my captain choices this season.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Have to say, statistically, the choice between Abraham and Vardy is ridiculously tight.

What's off-putting about Abraham is a lack of 90 minute performances more-than-anything.

His xG performance for the mins he has played is insane (as is Vardy's).

Norwich's xGC is higher than Bournemouth for the season overall, but for the last 5 games BOU are 1.97 and Norwich are 1.95, so pretty much the exact same.

I want to go Abraham, but if Vardy outperforms him it's big trouble then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,010 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

if you've Mane is clearcut IMO. the only reason to pick Vardy over him is that it's 'safe'.

Liverpool generally muller Watford at home.
    Mane will 100% play as he missed the last league game.

i've Salah. i'm hoping for early team news. if he starts, there isn't a question in my mind that he will be captain.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Dazzler0911

Vardy Party on the cards

• Registered Users Posts: 32,768 ✭✭✭✭CSF

SlickRic wrote: »
    if you've Mane is clearcut IMO. the only reason to pick Vardy over him is that it's 'safe'.

Liverpool generally muller Watford at home.
    Mane will 100% play as he missed the last league game.

i've Salah. i'm hoping for early team news. if he starts, there isn't a question in my mind that he will be captain.

I don’t think it’s clear cut at all. Norwich have conceded 4 more goals than Watford and 7 more away goals than Watford.

Vardy has 19 points more than Mane and 7 more goals. Vardy has scored one less home goal than Mane has scored total goals.

Where is the clear cut, particularly against a team who may be operating off some kind of feeble new manager bounce, that won’t get Watford points, but may make them perform slightly better than in the weeks leading to their manager’s sacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

New manager for Watford as well, I'd say he'll have them setup to lose by as little as possible. Norwich will still have a go and leave themselves open

• Registered Users Posts: 17,222 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Vardy - Mane vc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,484 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I've got Vardy, Mane, Pulisic and Mount but I'm really tempted by Ings at home to West Ham.
    I'm also thinkinh about Lundstram home to Villa

eagle eye wrote: »
    I've got Vardy, Mane, Pulisic and Mount but I'm really tempted by Ings at home to West Ham.

Very very punty. Hard to justify anyone other than Vardy or Mane if you have them both.

We’re still at that stage of the season where you don’t need to chase unless you’re like 300 behind. 5 points a week on average turns around a 114 point deficit.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Lundstram sounds a bit mad tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

gammygils wrote: »
    Vardy - Mane vc

This for me as well

• Registered Users Posts: 5,022 ✭✭✭jamesbere

Mane for me, should pick up a good haul against a poor Watford side

• Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

The fear with Vardy is that he gets one goal while they hammer Norwich and ends up with 6 points. If Liverpool hammer Watford Mané would likely be in double figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Pete_Cavan wrote: »
    The fear with Vardy is that he gets one goal while they hammer Norwich and ends up with 6 points. If Liverpool hammer Watford Mané would likely be in double figures.

Vardy has been involved in 20 of Leicsters 39 goals, it's hard to see them hammering someone and he only being involved in one. Not impossible obviously but unlikely.

It's a close call but what has swung it for me is that Vardy has a higher ownership so not captaining him is marginally more dangerous. I may be wrong on this and havent analysed it in any detail but from memory Mane seems to benefit when Salah is out of form or absent, and Salah looked back to his best on Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭ShimSlady

Tempted by Maddison against his former club but will likely stick it on Mané

Pete_Cavan wrote: »

I don’t understand this point. Why is Vardy more likely to get only one goal than Mane?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭McBain11

I was going with Abraham, but feck me that poll with Vardy on a billion percent :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

CSF wrote: »
    I don’t understand this point. Why is Vardy more likely to get only one goal than Mane?

I didn't say that Vardy is more likely to get one goal. The point was Leicester points seem to get shared around with the likes of Maddison, Teilemans, Perez and the full backs also well capable of attacking returns and cleaning up on bonus points, even when Vardy scores. Even the keeper and CBs often score well for Leicester if they keep a cs, even if they score a few at the other end.

Mané and Salah are the main threats for Liverpool and when they have a good win, one or both are usually on a haul. Robbo and TAA are threats but their midfield not as much.

CSF wrote:
    Very very punty. Hard to justify anyone other than Vardy or Mane if you have them both.
    We’re still at that stage of the season where you don’t need to chase unless you’re like 300 behind. 5 points a week on average turns around a 114 point deficit.
    I've had an awful season to this point so I'm in the gambler mode now.
    While I'm willing to gamble I'm not completely insane. Ings is in better form than all bar Son, Alli, Vardy and Rashford. When you consider that West Ham have conceded 11 goals in their last five games, which includes the clean sheet against Chelsea, I think he is a real option not being considered by many. Ings has scored in each of his last five games.
    Lundstram is more of a gamble but he is in a team that has had quite a few clean sheets and he is a bonus point whore who scores the odd goal. It's a gamble for sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

James Maddison against his former club?

Pretty punty I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,131 ✭✭✭✭km79

eagle eye wrote: »

Don’t be silly

CSF wrote: »
    I don’t think it’s clear cut at all. Norwich have conceded 4 more goals than Watford and 7 more away goals than Watford.

Vardy has 19 points more than Mane and 7 more goals. Vardy has scored one less home goal than Mane has scored total goals.

Where is the clear cut, particularly against a team who may be operating off some kind of feeble new manager bounce, that won’t get Watford points, but may make them perform slightly better than in the weeks leading to their manager’s sacking.

Spot on.

I haven’t captained him for last 2 weeks and won’t be making that mistake again. Until Boxing Day when I captain Aurier.

Watford players putting in the 120% effort for new manager.

Klopp would bite your hand off for a 1-0 right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Really want to go with Mane and I've got my non Vardy captain calls right the last few times. Looking at Norwich away, their form has improved. If they're not conceding 2 now it's a cleanie.

Liverpool 4-1
    WHam 2-0
    Burnley 2-0
    Palace 2-0
    Bournmouth 0-0
    Brighton 2-0
    Everton 0-2
    Southampton 2-1

Norwich are still more leaky than Watford will be in my opinion though so it's back to Vardy. For tonight :pac:

km79 wrote:
    Don’t be silly

You must be proud of the effort you put into your posts!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

If I had Salah, I'd captain him. He's about to burst in form. However bringing him in when LP blanks next gameweek seems unwise, plus with GW18 and a lack of captain options for it I had to consider other options for it.

Mane and Abraham are very tempting but it's currently on Vardy. It's a toss up to be honest - just think that Vardy on penalties running in behind Norwich swings it slightly ATM. Will mull it over the next while before deciding.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

Vardy. I’ll allow myself captain Manè in the Sky game :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

If I had Salah, I'd captain him. He's about to burst in form. However bringing him in when LP blanks next gameweek seems unwise, plus with GW18 and a lack of captain options for it I had to consider other options for it.

Mane and Abraham are very tempting but it's currently on Vardy. It's a toss up to be honest - just think that Vardy on penalties running in behind Norwich swings it slightly ATM. Will mull it over the next while before deciding.

My thoughts exactly would love salah this week. Think he is the best captain option.

Advertisement