Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Xbox General discussion **No Order Chat Here**

Comments

I'd say there's a 120mm axial fan in there and that dictated the chassis shape. Can't think why else they would give it a square cross-section. An optical disc is 120mm so based on the slot i'd say it's not much more than 130-140mm square.
    It's basically a pc. What do most PC's look like? Sure they could have gone with some crazy custom chassis but that would come with the usual crazy price tag.

I like it. Vertical or horizontal is all that is needed. Enough to fit in a media unit, but mostly this is a pc and xcloud streaming server. I honestly wouldn't expect the design to be anything more exciting than what we are getting.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,701 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I really like the design of the new xbox series X. I did not buy into the xbox one at all and have a PS4/Switch for past few years.

I can see myself buying this as I much prefer the design of this compared to the ps5. The real sales pitch for me is the Xbox Games Pass and the lovely minimal design of the new console. Hopefully exclusives will be much stronger this time around too.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Gonzo wrote: »
    I really like the design of the new xbox series X. I did not buy into the xbox one at all and have a PS4/Switch for past few years.

I can see myself buying this as I much prefer the design of this compared to the ps5. The real sales pitch for me is the Xbox Games Pass and the lovely minimal design of the new console. Hopefully exclusives will be much stronger this time around too.

Just FYI, we don't know the final design of the PS5, and I'd eat my hat if it's anything like the dev kits that we've seen.

With the heat generated by this new generation, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a PS5 design similar to this new Xbox, to be honest. There's only so many ways to balance the heat/noise levels.

Agree with everything else though, it came late, but Game Pass has been my innovation of this generation, and I'll put my hand up as one of those that thought it'd be ****e. I've been proven wrong on so many levels by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭ricimaki

It really looks like a Silverstone FT03 mini PC case:

SilverStone-Fortress-FT03-MINI-6.jpg

I like it!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,414 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Not too pushed about it really. I’ve just got another Xbox one x so I reckon with the PS5 exclusives I’ll go for that instead.
    Shame as I love Xbox and have gotten every version since the original.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭HairySalmon

CatInABox wrote: »
    Just FYI, we don't know the final design of the PS5, and I'd eat my hat if it's anything like the dev kits that we've seen.

With the heat generated by this new generation, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a PS5 design similar to this new Xbox, to be honest. There's only so many ways to balance the heat/noise levels.

Agree with everything else though, it came late, but Game Pass has been my innovation of this generation, and I'll put my hand up as one of those that thought it'd be ****e. I've been proven wrong on so many levels by it.

Dev kits never look like the retail console, but what I find very interesting is the fact they patented their dev kit design. I’ve never seen that done before, so as you said they’ll need more ventilation because of the increased power, which makes me wonder if some design elements of the dev kit will be worked into the retail box. Obviously if there is a V designed in it’ll be much more subtle and aesthetically pleasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Blazer wrote: »
    Not too pushed about it really. I’ve just got another Xbox one x so I reckon with the PS5 exclusives I’ll go for that instead.
    Shame as I love Xbox and have gotten every version since the original.

What are they? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

Dev kits never look like the retail console, but what I find very interesting is the fact they patented their dev kit design. I’ve never seen that done before, so as you said they’ll need more ventilation because of the increased power, which makes me wonder if some design elements of the dev kit will be worked into the retail box. Obviously if there is a V designed in it’ll be much more subtle and aesthetically pleasing.

I cant remember where I read it, but I'm sure I've seen that the PS5 devkit is the shape it is, to allow them to be stacked by developers using multiples at once. Id be majorly surprised if the finished article looks anything like that.

I cant remember where I read it, but I'm sure I've seen that the PS5 devkit is the shape it is, to allow them to be stacked by developers using multiples at once. Id be majorly surprised if the finished article looks anything like that.

Absolutely, but regarding the V shape for vents it could be modelled into the finished product -albeit much more subtle and toned down I image.

MS have been doing a great job designing consoles since the One S, really liking their minimalistic designs. I think the Series X is the least attractive, but it’s grown on me a lot.

marcbrophy wrote: »
    What are they? :)

In fairness Sony is a powerhouse for exclusives and that doesn’t look like it’s about the change.

MS are making large steps to match the offering with their purchase of so many studios and it couldn’t come sooner given the lack of them this gen.

• Advertisement

In fairness Sony is a powerhouse for exclusives and that doesn’t look like it’s about the change.

MS are making large steps to match the offering with their purchase of so many studios and it couldn’t come sooner given the lack of them this gen.

I'm just wondering if there's any specifics?
    I mean, I heard about that one last week at the game awards, but are there any more definite ones?
    We can certainly say TLOU2 and any follow ups to GOW and Spider-Man that may show up.
    We can presume HZD2 and anything uncharted wise also.

Everyone always raves about Sony's exclusives, but for me I'd say that I played more Xbox exclusives than Sony this generation.
    I think I might try and work it out :D

I'm just wondering if there's any specifics?
    I mean, I heard about that one last week at the game awards, but are there any more definite ones?
    We can certainly say TLOU2 and any follow ups to GOW and Spider-Man that may show up.
    We can presume HZD2 and anything uncharted wise also.

Everyone always raves about Sony's exclusives, but for me I'd say that I played more Xbox exclusives than Sony this generation.
    I think I might try and work it out :D

Nothing has been announced yet bar Godfall (think that’s the name)

I’ve had the polar opposite experience myself, but different strokes I suppose.

Nothing has been announced yet bar Godfall (think that’s the name)

I’ve had the polar opposite experience myself, but different strokes I suppose.

I'll buy the PS5 eventually, but I won't be running out day 1 for Godfall. Now if a launch title was a new GOW, then I just might change my mind :)

Yeah, it's fine and you are probably in the majority with that experience. I would like to work it out though!
    Just on the sheer number of exclusives per platform, I might have played more PS ones, I don't know haha!

I'll buy the PS5 eventually, but I won't be running out day 1 for Godfall. Now if a launch title was a new GOW, then I just might change my mind :)

Yeah, it's fine and you are probably in the majority with that experience. I would like to work it out though!
    Just on the sheer number of exclusives per platform, I might have played more PS ones, I don't know haha!

Neither will I to be fair, the game doesn’t appeal to me at all.

But I am looking forward to Sony and MS’s showing in full. They’ll both show us games that you can’t miss out on.

I bought all the consoles this gen and I won’t be doing that again because I didn’t think it was worth it for me, so I’ll see the proper announcements go.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

well there bluepoints game rumour to be Demon soul im buying both series x and ps5 not together.The good thing about series x is gamepass won't have to buy a game at launch.The ps5 on the other hand I will but if it true about Demon soul I wont mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

Coming out with the official name and design this far ahead of launch, and with just two weeks to go before Christmas, MS must be confident.

Game Pass and keeping your existing games and peripherals from Xbox One will be a good way to ensure a smooth transition - you have a huge library of games on day one. If it does some upscale jiggery-pokery like the Xbox One X did for games like Red Dead, that would be awesome.

I like how news sites are measuring the dimensions of the console in Xbox Controllers (I'm not sure whether that is imperial Xbox Controllers or metric Xbox Controllers as a unit of measurement) They'll have to convert that to Duke controllers for longer term Xbox players - the console = one Duke controller.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr. TTime

I like how news sites are measuring the dimensions of the console in Xbox Controllers (I'm not sure whether that is imperial Xbox Controllers or metric Xbox Controllers as a unit of measurement) They'll have to convert that to Duke controllers for longer term Xbox players - the console = one Duke controller.

To my old eyes it looks like 4 Kinects wrapped up like a bunch of twigs...

I do really like the design though

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

rogypel4n7941.jpg

Discussion here on reddit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

https://twitter.com/Doug_DragoX/status/1219794270518947840

The slot next to the HDMI slot is apparently "for diagnostics" - not sure what that means but I'd say this thing is an empty shell.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

https://twitter.com/Doug_DragoX/status/1219794270518947840

The slot next to the HDMI slot is apparently "for diagnostics" - not sure what that means but I'd say this thing is an empty shell.

Nah, it's real apparently, same type as Phil Spencer has. Dianostics/Debug port isn't unusual on a prerelease product like this, it's so they can hook it up to a PC and take a closer look at what's going on software wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

What are people's general feeling on price point for the series X? I know it's all speculation but are people willing to bite on this at €500 or would that be a bit much? Just curious to see the general feeling here.
    Also have they said what controller is being bundled in? Is it an Elite or a new 'standard' controller?

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Vyse Remastered

DeSelby83 wrote: »
    What are people's general feeling on price point for the series X? I know it's all speculation but are people willing to bite on this at €500 or would that be a bit much? Just curious to see the general feeling here.
    Also have they said what controller is being bundled in? Is it an Elite or a new 'standard' controller?

I'd be happy to pay 500euros for it, even more if there were different tiers of systems released.

For me, this time around, Microsoft are doing everything right. I was a day 1 adopter for both the Xbox and Xbox 360 but gave the One a miss. The system was over-priced, underpowered and the focus was shifted away from gaming.

Phil Spencer seems to be redirecting the Xbox brand back to its roots so, unless they seriously drop the ball, I'll be there day 1.

I'd be happy to pay 500euros for it, even more if there were different tiers of systems released.

For me, this time around, Microsoft are doing everything right. I was a day 1 adopter for both the Xbox and Xbox 360 but gave the One a miss. The system was over-priced, underpowered and the focus was shifted away from gaming.

Phil Spencer seems to be redirecting the Xbox brand back to its roots so, unless they seriously drop the ball, I'll be there day 1.

€500 was a fair price for the X1, and if series X launches at that price point again it’ll be even better value.

The thing that’s stopping me from considering the series X is all titles coming to PC, so I think I’ll make the transition back to PC once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,545 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Ye I'm in the same position.

Have they announced if they are doing the all access programme in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Will Xbox One controllers work on the new Series X?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I'd be very shocked if they didn't. At least for the basic game playing. The only issue might be if the new controllers have some extra buttons or functionality.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,196 ✭✭✭maximoose

They announced it a while ago, yep it will. And vice versa, the new controller will work with all One consoles.

https://www.windowscentral.com/xbox-series-x-controller-has-revised-d-pad-share-button-and-will-work-xbox-one

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭druss

Xbox already said they would, in context of the Elite 2 controller release.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

Yes, all Xbox One controllers will work with the Series X console.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

DeSelby83 wrote: »

499.99 is my uneducated guess for where its going to land.

personally, I'd love the option to just buy the box straight at a discount, with no controller or other stuff, purely because I've more of them than i can use at present

Advertisement