Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jumanji : The Next Level

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

The original was a surprise hit with me, so I'm much more looking forward to this one. Looks like it could be some more fun and some action setpieces to look forward to too.

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 60,265 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The first one was surprisingly very fun.

Also any excuse to see Karen Gillan's legs on the big screen will do me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The Rock and Kevin Harts impressions are fairly on point, so that should be worth a watch.

Also +1 to Ms. Gillan

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,556 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Tazzimus wrote: »
    Also +1 to Ms. Gillan
    Seems like she's taking the lead here. :)

The last one was great. Big hit in our house we'll be heading to see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,453 ✭✭✭Shred

Yes, I was expecting the first one to be garbage but I really enjoyed it as did the rest of the family! I'll check the trailer out later but I expect we'll be going to see it anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

That looks fun.. in a different way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 84,740 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The first one was, despite all expectations, actually pretty good. In fact, I'd say, better than the original, which I found taxing when trying to watch it recently.

Thumbs up for another.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Jumanji was an encapsulation of the cinematic pleasant surprise; it had no right to be as entertaining, well paced, and have as good a set of characters as it did. Easily 2017's best summer movie IMO.

This looks like more of the same, but with a bigger budget; part of the first films financial success was certainly the tiny budget to box-offce ratio ($90 million to $960 million), so I wonder how more sheckles were thrown the sequels way. Hopefully the urge to make everything 'bigger' doesn't lose the spark of the previous feature...

Kevin Hart's riffing on Danny Glover is spookily good mind you.

Karen Gillan continues to be distracting...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Hadn't heard this was getting a sequel. My 10 year old will be thrilled, she's watched the last one a couple of dozen times at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Am I alone in finding this tiresome? The remakes of old films that then spawn sequels is an all too common occurrence with Cinema today.

Personally I tried to watch the remake, and I fell asleep while doing so, woke up at the end, and didn't think I'd missed anything worth while.

Shame as I do find the Rock to be a very charismatic actor, who may play himself a bit too much, but usually offers an entertaining experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

Am I alone in finding this tiresome? The remakes of old films that then spawn sequels is an all too common occurrence with Cinema today.

Personally I tried to watch the remake, and I fell asleep while doing so, woke up at the end, and didn't think I'd missed anything worth while.

Shame as I do find the Rock to be a very charismatic actor, who may play himself a bit too much, but usually offers an entertaining experience.

You could give the gardening a rest for a bit and watch it again when you're feeling more energetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭p to the e

pixelburp wrote: »
    Jumanji was an encapsulation of the cinematic pleasant surprise; it had no right to be as entertaining, well paced, and have as good a set of characters as it did. Easily 2017's best summer movie IMO.

"Kong: Skull Island" wants a word

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Frankly if you fell asleep and missed most of a film, you're not really in a position to comment on its relative quality, no? YOu literally missed the film. :)
    p to the e wrote: »

Yeah that was a nice surprise, though the characters in it weren't quite as good as Jumanji's.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

More Karen is always good. I'd be disappointed if Kevin Hart doesn't say "I'm getting too old for this s..." and the other girl or the other guy as the Jonas brother?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,341 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

p to the e wrote: »

Thought that was awful. If the whole movie was based around what happened when the American and Japanese soldiers first saw Kong maybe it would have made a fun movie.

Jumanji was funny with great performances from the four main characters. On flip side I felt many of the actors in Kong added nothing to story like Hiddleston and Larson.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 buser2x

i'm not very excited about this

Looking forward to this; missed the first in the cinema and only caught it 'cos of the good word of mouth. Hopefully the sequel manages to retain the personality and doesn't suffer from sequelitis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,933 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

The Rock as Danny DeVito and Kevin Hart as Donald Glover is reason enough to see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Watched this morning at the Sky VIP screening in Cork, very decent sequel to the last film.

Of course in my mind it will never compete with the original but I don’t think it even tries to do that.

I won’t include any spoilers as it hasn’t been officially released but the 2 young fellas we brought along with us loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Took the kids (11 and 14) to this last night and they both loved it. Personally, I thought they really shoe-horned Devito and Glover in and the film suffered for it. Should have stuck with just the original cast imho. It's still enjoyable enough but I'd recommend waiting for it on Netflix rather than forking out for it at the cinema.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Watched this morning at the Sky VIP screening in Cork, very decent sequel to the last film.

Of course in my mind it will never compete with the original but I don’t think it even tries to do that.

I won’t include any spoilers as it hasn’t been officially released but the 2 young fellas we brought along with us loved it.

Sorry to go off topic but how did you get Sky VIP screening tickets?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Sorry to go off topic but how did you get Sky VIP screening tickets?

Through the MySky app, open to everyone with a sky account.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Gotta love The Asylum. Not that this film has anything to do with the new Jumanji :rolleyes:

Even got a redhead in there

• Registered Users Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So I Decided to go and see this after only seen the 2017 film on DVD yesterday as I did not get to see it in the cinema when it was out. I have to say I really enjoyed that, found it very funny, with a very good story and good characters too. I would give it 8 out of 10 and I found this new one very good as well as very funny but also agree with a poster above the De vito and Glover seemed shoe horned in and the film would have been better without that. I would also give this film 8 out of 10 and can't wait for the next one. I think they should just leave it with the characters they have for the next one do but mix it all up again like they did in this one. I highly recommend seeing it in the cinema. Its well worth it. The sound in this was great too and there is action and scenes in this that make it worth going to the cinema to see.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Gotta love The Asylum. Not that this film has anything to do with the new Jumanji :rolleyes:

Even got a redhead in there

I've often wondered how on earth that company makes a profit; I believe those "movies" are made for about a million dollars each (and have some connection with the SyFy channel), but beyond that ... who buys or rents all that landfill? They don't even seem to be worth an ironic, "let's all laugh at it" watch, yet they're still going and maintain their policy of just ripping off any & all blockbusters...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I enjoyed, not as good as the first(second?) one but it's enjoyable. Gillan and Black get a lot more to do which is fun. However the thing that got me really excited was
    the tease for the next one. I think it could be great to have the game coming into the real world and getting to meet the 'real' Avatars. I wonder if we'll see more characters from the original.[\Spoiler]

• Registered Users Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

Saw this at the weekend and its pretty enjoyable. Not as good as the previous film from 2 years ago, but a lot of fun all the same.

• Advertisement
Advertisement