Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Xbox Series X

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Vicxas wrote: »
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-12-13-the-next-xbox-is-called-xbox-series-x

Looks like Microsoft are moving very quickly to the pc for the living room. Be interesting to see what they do with this.

Not sure I love the name, but I assume that they'll have a "Series S" at release as well, the rumoured 1080p/1440p version, so maybe it'll make more sense when there's two of them.

As to the looks, I've gone from liking it to really liking it. It's certainly blocky, but it's still really small, at least judging by the controller for scale. I'd say the thermal demands of the next generation will require some creative engineering to deal with all the heat, and to keep it quiet.

The Share button on the controller is a long time coming, surprised they didn't rip it off the PS controllers sooner to be honest. Nice that it'll work on existing Xboxs as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

It's a black box, not very, very, very, very dark blue... I like it.
    At least we got it confirmed officially. I just woke up and it was first thing on Reddit was this. Did MS just dropped the bomb on everyone? No teasing, no bull****? I like that too.

They already won me over with accessories, games of current generation working on new one and ofc Game pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Looks fine, be nice that next gen consoles aren't both going to look like old giant VCRs. You can see the benefit of the deigned, there's a lot of passively cooled stuff that uses that. Since they've gone in such a different direction for heat management it's making me think that the PS4 dev kit might be closer to the retail model that people think.

Not a fan of the name, saw the video on youtube without context just the thumbnail and name. Wasn't sure what it was until I saw the release date. Might be another WiiU problem with the general public/parents.

Controller was good already, so in addition to the obviously now required share button I want to know that internals changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Not a fan of the tower, I'd have nowhere suitable for that in the sitting room. The PS4 Pro just about fits under my tv so i don't have to have it inside a unit. Has me worried that the ps5 will be fairly big as well.

Xbox SeX is an awful name :pac:

I am very jealous of Hellblade 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭SSr0

If they are going down the PC road with this, I wonder will this be keyboard and mouse compatible?

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,135 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

SSr0 wrote: »
    If they are going down the PC road with this, I wonder will this be keyboard and mouse compatible?

The current Xbox is so I'd be surprised if this isn't. Not many devs make use of it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

When you see the controller beside it, okay it's not *that* big, but even so man that looks kinda crap. Even if you laid it on its side it's an awful chunk of a thing. The name is a bit bland too considering I thought they had said the name would show their intentions for the system or some such.

I'm not dissing the whole thing, because ultimately they're crushing it with Gamepass and I'm excited to see what their new studios come up with, but in terms of the console reveal... that's pretty awful.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Mickeroo wrote: »
    The current Xbox is so I'd be surprised if this isn't. Not many devs make use of it though.

I'd assume that this will be pushed more on this time around.

Rumour is that the Series X will be able to pause and resume more than one game, which isn't actually that surprising now that I think about it. With the bandwidth provided by the NVMe SSD, I'd assume that the game state will just be loaded from ram into the SSD, and back again when required. I'd wonder how much of the drive would be usable space for storage then. I'd also assume that this will be a PS5 feature as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Think it looks fine/good, you will have to have out in open but that's only minor and probably it be very quite on low load for watching media.

Might be capable of cooling passively in rest mode or while downloading.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

looks like we're finally reaching that point where they're all just called xbox from here on out.
    I like the look of it myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

They really could of came up with a better name.
    Looks cool though. Like a mini pc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭jones

Yes the name is a bit funny but i'm intrigued by the look of it. I've always been a Sony man and it would be hard to leave Sony first party games but i have to say i like how this looks and i'm approaching the next gen with an open mind.

I love the pre next gen season

CatInABox wrote: »
    I'd assume that this will be pushed more on this time around.

Rumour is that the Series X will be able to pause and resume more than one game, which isn't actually that surprising now that I think about it. With the bandwidth provided by the NVMe SSD, I'd assume that the game state will just be loaded from ram into the SSD, and back again when required. I'd wonder how much of the drive would be usable space for storage then. I'd also assume that this will be a PS5 feature as well.

The resume thing is actually confirmed in this interview, seems Gamespot have the exclusive interview this time.

jones wrote: »
    I love the pre next gen season

One of the great things about it is that this time around we won't get one company totally screwing up. I'm pretty confident that both Microsoft and Sony will put out a great console each, with no major screw ups like the last two generations.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

One of the great things about it is that this time around we won't get one company totally screwing up. I'm pretty confident that both Microsoft and Sony will put out a great console each, with no major screw ups like the last two generations.

Sony need a proper GamePass competitor though. Not even to necessarily beat Gamepass, but to just compete with it because MS are full on going gangbusters in what they're offering with it and it could be the biggest decisive factor for people if the consoles are that close. As great as Sony's exclusives are, they're not free.

Sony need proper backwards compatibility and a strong Gamepass alternative or they'll lose what they gained with the PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

I like it, what are we thinking on price? 499?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

I'd prefer it look like a PC tower (albeit one that can lay sideways), than sound like a jet engine cos they tried to stuff all that hardware into a form factor similar to current gen consoles which just won't work. I think it looks beastly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Horrible design for a living room device. How dafuq will that fit in a TV unit? I've done a decent job to hide our sub woofer in a purpose built cabinet beside the TV unit but I can't do the same for this as it'll need to be accessed to put disks in it (although becoming an increasingly rare task).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

It wouldn't work in my living room as it wont fit in the cabinet. My toddler will have it pushed off the counter in days.
    Is there a thermal issue with these chips as the PS5 is due to be a whopper based on the size of the dev kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Design is similar to the Corsair One .

A good benefit of using this tall-tower form factor is that it can be cooled well, although this design seems to be a bit small - expect 92mm or 120mm fans instead of the Corsair One's 140mm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Penn wrote: »
    Sony need a proper GamePass competitor though. Not even to necessarily beat Gamepass, but to just compete with it because MS are full on going gangbusters in what they're offering with it and it could be the biggest decisive factor for people if the consoles are that close. As great as Sony's exclusives are, they're not free.

Sony need proper backwards compatibility and a strong Gamepass alternative or they'll lose what they gained with the PS4.

I really think the Gamepass route is a dangerous road to go for consoles. I'm not sure how much money companies get putting their games on there but it really must absolutely tank their sales & when people view the game as '"free" the way people view it is different. Something like God of War or Breath of the Wild I think you would be nuts to release that free on day one as they took years to put together on large budgets that likely need the retail release to claw that money back & yield a profit. Whereas me paying a few quid to get 3 months on a Gamepass can't be considered as getting your money back. Its handy for Microsoft as this gen they have comfortably been 3rd in exclusivity but when Halo infinite drops day one and you lose a load of sales as it's on Gamepass there is no way to maximise your profit there; doing it is fine with Crackdown or State of Decay sequels is one thing but Halo is the Xbox's flagship software.
    Rumour is that the Series X will be able to pause and resume more than one game, which isn't actually that surprising now that I think about it.

Wow, is this feature as pointless to everyone else as it is to me. At this stage I only want smooth 60fps games with faster loading times, full backwards compatibility not piecemeal & for the machine not to sound like a hoover when you are playing games beyond the heft of stardew valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Looks grand, can be turned on its side as well so should fit most stands fine. I wouldn't be worried about thermals, performance parts are decreasing in power consumption not rising. For the next gen, a gpu using similar power to the original consoles would be twice as fast and the processors will be the real game changer, there is no reason for any game to run at anything less than 60fps next gen.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

Hope they sell it in white from release.

ERG89 wrote: »
    I really think the Gamepass route is a dangerous road to go for consoles. I'm not sure how much money companies get putting their games on there but it really must absolutely tank their sales & when people view the game as '"free" the way people view it is different. Something like God of War or Breath of the Wild I think you would be nuts to release that free on day one as they took years to put together on large budgets that likely need the retail release to claw that money back & yield a profit. Whereas me paying a few quid to get 3 months on a Gamepass can't be considered as getting your money back. Its handy for Microsoft as this gen they have comfortably been 3rd in exclusivity but when Halo infinite drops day one and you lose a load of sales as it's on Gamepass there is no way to maximise your profit there; doing it is fine with Crackdown or State of Decay sequels is one thing but Halo is the Xbox's flagship software.

Seems counter intuitive, but the few developers that have talked about it have said they saw an increase in sales.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,428 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Just wanted to see a size comparison vs Scorpio but these were the best images that I could find...

497544.jpg

497545.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 28,793 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

ERG89 wrote: »
    Wow, is this feature as pointless to everyone else as it is to me. At this stage I only want smooth 60fps games with faster loading times, full backwards compatibility not piecemeal & for the machine not to sound like a hoover when you are playing games beyond the heft of stardew valley.

Was wondering myself why you'd want 2 games running, but then I figured you could be playing a game by yourself, get a message telling you to jump on Call of Duty multiplayer or something, so can suspend what you're playing, play CoD then go back when done.

As for backwards compatibility, I wonder if it'll be proper BC or the same as the Xbox One, where they choose what they're adding when they want.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Design is similar to the Corsair One .
    Reminds me of the Silverstone FT03 mini from a few years ago
    FT03-Mini-Both-34View.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

I think the best way to try and grasp its size in real life is to stack to CD cases to see how tall it is and maybe on CD case as base? I judging it by the gap for discs to go in. I dont think its that big. Will fit behind behind TV like Xbox one x does now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,797 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Just wanted to see a size comparison vs Scorpio but these were the best images that I could find...

497544.jpg

497545.jpg

If some Photoshop wizard could scale the photos so the controllers are the same size it'd give a good idea of console size.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Looks A lot like the PS2. The ugliest playstation ever. Also has the same upright or sideways options.

Terrible naming convention as always too.

Advertisement