Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Funeral Director (RTE 1)

Options
  • 11-12-2019 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭

What an amazing programme, amazing man

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

Fascinating insight into the world of funerals. Happens to us all but I hadn't a clue. I do like how the Irish deal with death.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭RioM

Icsics wrote: »
    What an amazing programme, amazing man

Excellent program. Thought he looked familiar. He's the glamping guy!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

It's a serious business, and very few know anything about it.
    Our local undertaker lives a few houses away from me, he's so jovial and friendly, and takes his work seriously.

Jeez look at all that metal!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭larko

I always wanted to know about cremation. I'm glad I saw that

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

This is a superb little documentary

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

larko wrote: »
    I always wanted to know about cremation. I'm glad I saw that

Fascinating viewing & so well explained

• Registered Users Posts: 66,832 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Brilliant stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,822 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Fascinating insight into the parts of a funeral directors job that we normally would never see .
    Dougie , very sad , he's very honest , but a good sense of humour .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

He’s giving that man such peace

• Registered Users Posts: 21,822 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

So dignified and so respectful .
    It's all any of us could ever hope for our loved ones , friends , to be treated .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,581 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

It's so lovely to see the absolute respect and dignity he's paying to Dougie.
    I hope everyone watches this documentary, it's an eyeopener.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

It’s for programs like this I will continue to pay my TV licence.

Very moving.

I anticipate a lot of complaints though, I’d say liveliness will be on fire tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭downwesht

Everyone should see this programme.6x3 will take us all.....why all the anxiety ,hurry,pressure......enjoy the moment ...well said Dougie!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

It was very good

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

Superb program.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭SafeSurfer

What a superb documentary. A compelling story well told. Should win awards. One of the best documentaries I have seen in a long time. Well done to all involved.

Multo autem ad rem magis pertinet quallis tibi vide aris quam allis

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

Very skilled at his craft , how he can transform a body riddled with disease back to what he used to look like is amazing.

Sensitive, poignant and funny, all of what life is about and book ended by a man who had come to realise what it is about.
    The kind of in-depth, serious programme a national broadcaster should be making because it was all about us really. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭alanceltic

larko wrote: »
    I do like how the Irish deal with death.

We are very quick as a nation to dwell on aspects of our culture that is flawed but I couldn't agree more. There's a depth to our warmth towards a loved one, friend, neighbour, stranger who is grieving that warms the soul and restores faith in all that is good about life and death.

We really do know how to celebrate the footprints and memories that a person leaves behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Can be a bit raw for some just the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

We'll all be looked after by an undertaker when our time comes

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

One of the best documentaries that rte has commissioned in a long time. All issues were dealt with in a compassionate and honest manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

branie2 wrote: »

Indeed, it is a closed shop amongst a few though. Let's be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Hooked

Great viewing. Especially the embalming and cremation being shown. David is some man. He's like a counsellor, surgeon and beautician rolled into one..

Shame there's so much red tape surrounding his glamping village... it had so much momentum when Anton Savage was at the wheel in today fm. It's a superb idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

branie2 wrote: »

And if we are really lucky it will be someone like David. Such a gentle, kind, sensitive and professional man. Superb programme, major credit due to all involved. It reminded me somewhat of One Million Dubliners.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Jayisplay

This sounds interesting but my mam died 2 years ago not sure if I’d be up to watching it.

jos28 wrote: »
    And if we are really lucky it will be someone like David. Such a gentle, kind, sensitive and professional man. Superb programme, major credit due to all involved. It reminded me somewhat of One Million Dubliners.

We have both ends of the spectrum...one whose mess-ups are the stuff of local legend and who has the creepy PR tactic of turning up in hospitals to visit the terminally ill and the other who is an absolute professional who treats the job as a vocation. Sadly she was telling me she is burned out and is looking for a way out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭Delta2113

It has it's problem's but Licence Fee is needed folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Indeed, it is a closed shop amongst a few though. Let's be honest.

True, but it's a business which you have to be brought up with. Most funeral directors have been around dead people since there were children and are well accustomed to dealing with all the sensitivity it involves. One of the hardest trades to master as your dealing with the clients loved ones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

One of the best programs Ive watched,
    I cried like a baby at the last part,

Advertisement