Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oscar: Robert Downey Jr. (Avengers Endgame) vs Joaquin Phoenix (Joker)

• 07-09-2019 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

News that Joker just landed the Venice film festival reminded me of Graces video pointing out how it looks like there'll be two comic book contenders for the Oscar this year.

Well, who do you think will take it? Do you think they are both in with a shout? Is topping off so many films enough for Downey Jr. or is the performance enough for Phoenix?
    Kinda feel the need to see the Joker to make a decision myself.

Obviously Joker just made a big impact taking Venice... but..
    there again, a quick google shows the Avengers: Endgame Directors (the Russo Brothers) talk up Robert Downey Jr.
    https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/09/05/avengers-endgame-iron-man-death-robert-downey-jr-oscars/
    “I don’t know if I have ever seen—in movie history—a global audience react to a performance the way they did to Robert Downey in that movie,” Joe Russo added. “There were people bawling in movie theaters, hyperventilating. I mean, that is a profound performance, when you can touch audiences all over the world to that degree. We’ve never seen anything like that, and if that doesn’t deserve an Oscar, I don’t know what does.”

Here's the stuff I mentioned at the start above:

News that Joker just landed the Venice film festival:
    Well I don’t think anyone expected this. Joker just won the top prize at the immensely prestigious Venice Film Festival. The Joker himself would relish such a grenade being thrown into the film Twitter discourse (especially since a new Roman Polanski film was the runner-up :pac:).

https://twitter.com/la_biennale/status/1170402890860679169

Graces video about the two being contenders for the Oscar this year:

(of course, if you prefer another source who has made a single video discussing the chances of both, please do add it below)

Who do you think will win this years Oscar if both are nominated? 12 votes

Robert Downey Jr. (Avengers Endgame/The MCU)
    91% 11 votes
    Joaquin Phoenix (Joker)
    8% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,117 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

I couldn't possibly say without seeing Joker or knowing who the contenders will be.

What I would say is that from purely a campaigning perspective, RDJ would have the edge. Phoenix has shown a lack of patience for that type of stuff before. Maybe he'll play ball this time around as he certainly seems more relaxed and positive with the press these days.

Just to note I don't think any less of Phoenix for sh1tting on the Academy previously because in all honestly he was probably right to do so.

I'd be happy for either really. Both have done more enough in their careers to get the recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Hrmmm I still feel a bit stuck..

Joaquin Phoenix put in a top notch character performance but he was let down by a boring plot.
    Robert Downey Jr. had some top moments but for Endgame, he was sharing a lot of the film time.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,184 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Honestly I don't think either deserve to win it.

Phoenix was very good but I wasn't blown away with saying that I wasn't blown away by Ledger either and think he only won because he died.

RDJ probably will get nominated and could win but none of his portrayal of Stark deserve and Oscar let alone a win.

I maintain to this day Ledger gave the best performance of those nominated that year. Maybe his death was the deciding factor in the academy awarding him but really it's much of a muchness when he should have won for Brokeback.

The more I digest Phoenix’s performance the more I'm left in utter awe. I think he'll be nominated but he won't win. I'd be amazed if the Academy goes for a film like this.

With Joker currently at $934 million worldwide and Grace predicting it to hit the billion dollar club, i just voted for Phoenix.

$934m Worldwide: https://www.boxofficemojo.com/release/rl252151297/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

the money either doesn't really matter to the performance itself dont know why that would sway a vote

I'd be surprised if Phoeix gets nominated. The Hollywood Reporter (I think) asked Academy voters for their verdict anonymously and some of the hand wringing was cringe. Seems too divisive. Here it is:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/race/oscar-voters-react-joker-avoiding-it-1245781

I particularly rolled my eyes at the voter who spoke of her fine upstanding nephews and their take on the film, as if that preamble makes their opinion more valid than someone else's. Clown.

Only Joker stuff in the Golden Globes list:
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058037213

Phoenix got an actor nom..
    Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama
    Christian Bale (“Ford v Ferrari”)
    Antonio Banderas (“Pain and Glory”)
    Adam Driver (“Marriage Story”)
    Joaquin Phoenix (“Joker”)
    Jonathan Pryce (“The Two Popes”)

... and Joaquin Phoenix wins the Golden Globes Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama for Joker

Might rule him out for an Oscar.. might not

• Registered Users Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Robert Downey Jr. is totally wasted on these awful superhero movies. I wouldn't mind but it's possible a superhero movie can, and used to be great movies. He'd rather have the money than be remembered for great acting performances for which he is capable. That's what happens when your a coke addict and all you think about is how superior you are to be in a position of earning gross levels of wealth for doing eff all. It's no wonder Ricky Gervais takes the micky of them at the Golden Globes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

AllForIt wrote: »
    Robert Downey Jr. is totally wasted on these awful superhero movies. I wouldn't mind but it's possible a superhero movie can, and used to be great movies. He'd rather have the money than be remembered for great acting performances for which he is capable. That's what happens when your a coke addict and all you think about is how superior you are to be in a position of earning gross levels of wealth for doing eff all. It's no wonder Ricky Gervais takes the micky of them at the Golden Globes.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 84,323 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Slydice wrote: »
    ... and Joaquin Phoenix wins the Golden Globes Best Actor in a Motion Picture – Drama for Joker

Might rule him out for an Oscar.. might not

He should walk it winning all imho unless his politics and media shy of campaigning gets in the way

Well, Joaquin Phoenix took it! Didn't really feel like Downey got on the board.

Oscars 2020 winners: The complete list of results
    Joaquin Phoenix wins best actor for Joker
    https://www.cnet.com/news/oscars-2020-winners-the-full-list-of-results/
    Best actor
    Joaquin Phoenix, Joker
    Leonardo DiCaprio, Once Upon a Time… in Hollywood
    Antonio Banderas, Pain and Glory
    Adam Driver, Marriage Story
    Jonathan Pryce, The Two Popes

Advertisement