Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rugby League's Off-Topic thread.

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,845 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Thought I'd lose my Forty - Twenty under my name when the mod powers got zapped. Still there, nice.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Just saw a result in the BBC sports homepage and had a look, it's always interesting to see the list of places that have teams, like reading through an old soccer league one table.. Wigan, Salford, hull, Leeds.. are there any genuine southern teams? Are the Catalans really from Catalonia?

Just saw a result in the BBC sports homepage and had a look, it's always interesting to see the list of places that have teams, like reading through an old soccer league one table.. Wigan, Salford, hull, Leeds.. are there any genuine southern teams? Are the Catalans really from Catalonia?

Yep, Catalans play in Perpignan (it's a brilliant away trip), and they played a game at Camp Nou this season, there's a few teams in the South, London Broncos just got relegated from the top league, and you have London Skolars next league down from the Broncos. You'll have a Canadian team (Toronto) in Super League next year, Toulouse Olympique are in the Championship too, few outliers from the Northern powerhouse. Talk of a second team from Canada setting up too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Yep, Catalans play in Perpignan (it's a brilliant away trip), and they played a game at Camp Nou this season, there's a few teams in the South, London Broncos just got relegated from the top league, and you have London Skolars next league down from the Broncos. You'll have a Canadian team (Toronto) in Super League next year, Toulouse Olympique are in the Championship too, few outliers from the Northern powerhouse. Talk of a second team from Canada setting up too.

Hm, that sounds more international than I thought, I must try and give it a look-in next season, sport is sport. I think the only time I ever saw it on TV was actually on a German channel that was showing the last world cup for whatever reason, I remember watching Ireland play but I couldn't figure out what was up with the knockout rounds qualifying procedure, and why there were different group formats

Hm, that sounds more international than I thought, I must try and give it a look-in next season, sport is sport. I think the only time I ever saw it on TV was actually on a German channel that was showing the last world cup for whatever reason, I remember watching Ireland play but I couldn't figure out what was up with the knockout rounds qualifying procedure, and why there were different group formats

The NRL streaming app very occasionally has free week trial, I'll post here if I see one again, or sky have games on Friday Saturday or Sunday mornings. Bein France show NRL games too, and it's great hearing the commentators actually say oooh la lah after good play :)

Admittedly International games are usually to decide who Australia beat in the final, England or New Zealand. But few Pacific nations are up and coming, and Papau New Guinea is Rugby League mad, there have been riots there after results in NRL games have gone the wrong way.

Rugby League in France was actually pretty big before the German invasion of WW 2 and the Vichy Government banned it.
    A book called The Forbidden Game is a brilliant read about it.

I love League because it's still a working class game, not much gentrification of it, even in the NRL where there's plenty of money about.

/latest late night ramble.

• Advertisement

Has to be the best way to announce your fixture list I've seen.
    https://twitter.com/RaidersCanberra/status/1188969168894214144?s=20

Well I said the Raiders fixture announcement was good. Well Toronto Wolfpack have gone to a whole new level.

https://twitter.com/TOwolfpack/status/1202310281050779649?s=20

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

20/40 rule....more kicking incentives

20/40 rule....more kicking incentives

Yeah, not keen on the idea at all, maybe it'll work better than I think, but really don't reckon it's needed. Kicking for touch is more of a yawnion thing.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Yeah, not keen on the idea at all, maybe it'll work better than I think, but really don't reckon it's needed. Kicking for touch is more of a yawnion thing.

That was my exact first thought...we dont need to bore our game down. Let's introduce line outs in 2021 and 14-minute pile-on scrums the following year, whilst we're at it.

• Advertisement

Advertisement