Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who won tonight's BBC Leaders Debate? Johnson or Corbyn?

• 06-12-2019 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭

Who won Tonight's BBC Leaders Debate? Johnson or Corbyn

Sic semper tyrannis - thus always to Tyrants

Who Came out on top in tonights debate 37 votes

Boris Johnson
    64% 24 votes
    Jeremy Corbyn
    5% 2 votes
    Neither
    29% 11 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭liamtech

I hate the format - not sure if i hate Johnson more or less than the format - but they are equally poor

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The format can work if there is multiple debates, like in the US. This is a considerably less effective way to do things.

I just hope Corbyn attacks on the Northern Ireland protocol - clearly half the UK have no idea around this part of the debate

liamtech wrote: »
    I just hope Corbyn attacks on the Northern Ireland protocol - clearly half the UK have no idea around this part of the debate

The Republic of Ireland got a mention, which is a positive. The references to the IRA less so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

How is Johnson allowed stand there and imply DUP support the deal?

• Advertisement

Johnson made a misstep by bringing up the nurse numbers. Babbling about retention doesn't help things.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Johnson is a spoofer of the highest order. How on earth could any intelligent human vote for this plonker

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Corbyn clearly won it by any normal metric of who spoke with honest and genuine clarity. But in the eyes of the brexit fogged uk electorate, anything at all seems possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

The question about ‘how should lying politicians be punished’ could be a defining moment of the campaign. If Labour aren’t already turning Johnson’s response into posters and memes then they are totally incompetent

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Akrasia wrote: »
    The question about ‘how should lying politicians be punished’ could be a defining moment of the campaign. If Labour aren’t already turning Johnson’s response into posters and memes then they are totally incompetent

Johnson just treated it like it was a big joke, that was most alarming point of the debate for me. Doesnt care a fig.

• Advertisement

Johnson just treated it like it was a big joke, that was most alarming point of the debate for me. Doesnt care a fig.

Every time he is caught lying from now on, he should be told to get on his knees and prepare to be dragged out of Westminister (or whatever his exact phrase was)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I thought it a draw, both weak on certain matter neither made a massive boob and what there was is priced in at this stage. That the PM was apparently not aware the Brexit Envoy to the USA had resigned suggests his team were not paying attention to events dear boy. Luckily for him someone leaving because of Tory half truths just confirms business as usual rather than a damaging revelation and Nick Robinson didn't dwell on the fact he didn't know.

I thought it a draw, both weak on certain matter neither made a massive boob and what there was is priced in at this stage. That the PM was apparently not aware the Brexit Envoy to the USA had resigned suggests his team were not paying attention to events dear boy. Luckily for him someone leaving because of Tory half truths just confirms business as usual rather than a damaging revelation and Nick Robinson didn't dwell on the fact he didn't know.
    For Labour a draw is a win given that Corbyn is their weakest link and if he becomes less toxic in the eyes of swing voters, it makes them a lot more likely to vote Labour.

I suspect Labour will close the gap in the next polls after this and Labour are much more coalition friendly than the Tories

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UEnYT4_K_I0

https://votesmart2019.com/

What do we think of the campaign for tactical voting in this election. The above links are to the Rally which took place yesterday which included a broad coalition of speakers - urging tactical voting on a seat my seat basis

Votemsart2019 is effectively an all-in-one Tactical Vote analysis which compares the recommendations for every seat in GB, from 7 different Remain analytical sites -

For northern Ireland it refuses to give an outright recommendation; but it does include each of the 7 sites which varyingly recommend Sinn Fein, Alliance or SDLP

Its actually a very well constructed site, iv played around with it for a bit

So yea just wondering what we think

WRONG THREAD - sorry! lol

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,465 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

I'm getting seriously fatigued by these debates. They really aren't asking difficult and precise questions. Every time Boris is accused of wanting to sell off the HSE and impose austerity and Johnson is accused of anti semitism and unrealistic spending.

It's hard to even listen to them anymore, as they are just saying the same things, no specifics and no real progress.

However, I'm not a UK voter so therefore my views don't really matter.

Advertisement