Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

bus customer service

• 06-12-2019 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭

when i worked in a retail environment and a customer had an issue or complaint it was not acceptable for me to respond with "not my f*cking problem". yet this is the response when i raised an issue with a bus driver today. I never said he caused the issue but he is driving a dublin bus vehicle and wearing a dublin bus jumper - he represents the company to some extent, no? It has to be said i was not in the least surprised at his attitude as it seems to be an industry standard from my experience. the most rudimentary customer service training would tell you to at least hear the customer out but no.

just a little rant i guess, i dont expect things to change.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

when i worked in a retail environment and a customer had an issue or complaint it was not acceptable for me to respond with "not my f*cking problem". yet this is the response when i raised an issue with a bus driver today. I never said he caused the issue but he is driving a dublin bus vehicle and wearing a dublin bus jumper - he represents the company to some extent, no? It has to be said i was not in the least surprised at his attitude as it seems to be an industry standard from my experience. the most rudimentary customer service training would tell you to at least hear the customer out but no.

just a little rant i guess, i dont expect things to change.

What was the nature of the issue? Was it something that the driver in question could have helped you with, or were you just venting?

What I'm trying to ask is, was it his problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

issue was the previous bus never showed, got down to "Due" and never appeared so myself and the other passengers had to wait another 25 mins. Eventually this bus shows up, he lets passengers off (it was the terminus) and the driver closes the door at which point I and the 20 other people at the stop became a bit dismayed and i tried to explain the situation. he did end up opening the door again and let us all on but its the initial reaction and total indifference to the customer that isnt on imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 114 ✭✭Joker2019

Honestly what did you expect. Why did you complain to the driver when whatever issue you had likely had nothing to do with the driver. While I disagree with the drivers attitude in swearing at you. You are likely completely directing the issue which you likely had at completely the wrong person.

There are approriate complaint channels you can use such as the DB and NTA customer comment forms. Taking out your problems on the driver is completely wrong. Unlike workingbin retail the driver is completely out on his/her own and doesn't have a manager nearby with whom to refer to. By all means write a complaint or ring a number but if you want your issue resolved talking to the driver is not going to work to your benefit.

issue was the previous bus never showed, got down to "Due" and never appeared so myself and the other passengers had to wait another 25 mins. Eventually this bus shows up, he lets passengers off (it was the terminus) and the driver closes the door at which point I and the 20 other people at the stop became a bit dismayed and i tried to explain the situation. he did end up opening the door again and let us all on but its the initial reaction and total indifference to the customer that isnt on imo.

Maybe he wasn't scheduled to go out until a certain time. The driver has nothing to do with RTPI apart from logging his bus into the avl. If the last bus didn't show up that is not his problem so hence you should complain to DB.

i suppose i expect some basic level of human courtesy as i would with anyone working in any customer facing role. "ah sorry about that, very annoying i know but sure i just drive the things. I'd get on to customer service if i were you". too much to expect?

• Advertisement

i suppose i expect some basic level of human courtesy as i would with anyone working in any customer facing role. "ah sorry about that, very annoying i know but sure i just drive the things. I'd get on to customer service if i were you". too much to expect?

Perhaps. Look I agree he may have a bad attitude or maybe he was just having a bad day anyway. However you still took up your issue with the wrong person.

Joker2019 wrote: »
    However you still took up your issue with the wrong person.
    my issue wasnt that the last bus didnt show, it was that he was in service but had closed the door and was preparing to drive away.

OP your posts are getting no Thanks from anybody.
    I'm having issues myself with Dublin Bus 15Bs.
    Suck it up.

Bus driver..... Customer service.... Lol

Roll on the autonomous buses

So it wasn't his problem then. I know that when I've been driving a bus for two hours, the last thing I want to do at the terminus is start dealing with a new (and possibly irate) bunch of passengers immediately, especially if I'm not due to depart for a while. I always close the doors after the last passenger gets off, so I can take five minutes to reset the ticket machine, check for lost property... and stretch my legs and breathe. And yes, that involves what looks like total indifference. My attitude is that five minutes won't kill them.

For a surprising amount of people, that isn't enough. I've made the mistake of trying to be helpful at the end of my shift, when I see a crowd of people at the terminus waiting for some other bus that hasn't shown up. And after calling the control room to find out where their bus is, all I've got in return is hassle and abuse because, well, I'm wearing the company's uniform. I've literally had to beg people to get off my bus so that I can go home. It doesn't matter to them that I've just finished a ten hour shift and am about to bring the bus back to the garage for another driver to take over - all they see is a bus going 'out of service' when (as far as they're concerned) it should be bringing them home. Because they are all that matters.

So nowadays, my policy at the end of a shift, or if I'm going on my break, is to switch the display to 'Out of Service' at the second last stop, so that anyone waiting at the terminus doesn't know what route the bus has just been on. And I stop as far away from them as possible, close the doors, switch the interior lights off and get the hell out of there as quickly as possible, looking the other way as I pass them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Passengers are only a nuisance to some DB drivers.

So it wasn't his problem then. I know that when I've been driving a bus for two hours, the last thing I want to do at the terminus is start dealing with a new (and possibly irate) bunch of passengers immediately, especially if I'm not due to depart for a while. I always close the doors after the last passenger gets off, so I can take five minutes to reset the ticket machine, check for lost property... and stretch my legs and breathe. And yes, that involves what looks like total indifference. My attitude is that five minutes won't kill them.

For a surprising amount of people, that isn't enough. I've made the mistake of trying to be helpful at the end of my shift, when I see a crowd of people at the terminus waiting for some other bus that hasn't shown up. And after calling the control room to find out where their bus is, all I've got in return is hassle and abuse because, well, I'm wearing the company's uniform. I've literally had to beg people to get off my bus so that I can go home. It doesn't matter to them that I've just finished a ten hour shift and am about to bring the bus back to the garage for another driver to take over - all they see is a bus going 'out of service' when (as far as they're concerned) it should be bringing them home. Because they are all that matters.

So nowadays, my policy at the end of a shift, or if I'm going on my break, is to switch the display to 'Out of Service' at the second last stop, so that anyone waiting at the terminus doesn't know what route the bus has just been on. And I stop as far away from them as possible, close the doors, switch the interior lights off and get the hell out of there as quickly as possible, looking the other way as I pass them.

well your attitude seems to be pretty standard. does customer service play any part in your training as a matter of interest?

well your attitude seems to be pretty standard. does customer service play any part in your training as a matter of interest?

Attitude seems perfectly reasonable to me. Is a driver not entitled to catch his/her breath before doing another trip espeicially on a long route. I'm sure it does play a part in the training NTA seem to be pushing. Customer service training is 9 times out of 10 a pretty useless exercise.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Passengers are only a nuisance to some DB drivers.

"it'd be a great job if it wasn't for the skulls" was an oft heard phrase in DB when I drove for them.

Atiitude seems perfectly reasonable to me.
    says it all really

says it all really

Why whats wrong with the OPs attitude?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

OP, what you expect would be delivered by most private operators that I'm aware of. (There are a couple of exceptions, running city-only services.)

But it's not delivered by the employees of most state-owned bus companies. Apparently these state-owned companies are a lot better to work for than the private operators - presumably because being rude to customers is allowed.

OP, what you expect would be delivered by most private operators that I'm aware of. (There are a couple of exceptions, running city-only services.)

But it's not delivered by the employees of most state-owned bus companies. Apparently these state-owned companies are a lot better to work for than the private operators - presumably because being rude to customers is allowed.

I have come across rude drivers with private operators and very nice drivers with state operators. Most drivers just like people (which drivers are in fact) are fine but some are complete arseholes you get that everywhere. I've come across rude staff in shops and have come across rude people in all walks of life.

It plays a huge part. But common sense and self-care are important too.

Why whats wrong with the OPs attitude?
    eh...i am the OP

• Advertisement

eh...i am the OP

The other OP

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

could this be the scenario? Bus turns up at a terminus where the driver might expect a few minutes break and time to set up the vehicle for the return only to have irate passengers banging on his door and giving out to him that the previous bus didn't show. If so, I'd find that a bit annoying if I were him.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The vast majority of DB drivers are sound as a pound. They have to deal with horrendous traffic and often belligerent passengers too. I salute them. Everyone can have a bad day now and then, including me.

It really is not within their remit to comment on the arrival or departure times of any bus.

Contact DB Head Office on Twitter or whatever medium, and leave our bus drivers to do their job, i.e. DRIVE us in and out.

AGAIN my issue was that he was driving away without picking us up after the last bus failed to arrive. a decision he thought better of some moments later

AGAIN my issue was that he was driving away without picking us up after the last bus failed to arrive. a decision he thought better of some moments later

Ah ok, but you have to let it go. It doesn't happen frequently and maybe he had piles or something :eek:

Ah ok, but you have to let it go. It doesn't happen frequently and maybe he had piles or something :eek:

ah i've let this incident go but wouldn't it be nice to extend a little common courtesy to eachother this festive season...

ah i've let this incident go but wouldn't it be nice to extend a little common courtesy to eachother this festive season...

We never know what's going on in someone's life, so I try to give the benefit of the doubt when things go wrong for me. I sound very saintly, but I most certainly am not, but am empathetic and look for possible reasons, and get on with it.

There but for the grace of (whomever) go I.

It's unlikely that it was his decision to make. He could have been waiting for his controller to advise him on what to do.

I recently pulled up at a terminus at a busy shopping centre 23 minutes late due to traffic. My controller had contacted me earlier in the journey, telling me to abandon the next trip and drive 'out of service' as far as the opposite terminus, so that I could hopefully get back on-time for the rest of the evening. It's not ideal, but with scant resources, difficult decisions sometimes have to be made for the benefit of the service as a whole. As it turned out, there was a large queue at the first bus stop, so I radioed control to suggest that it would - on balance - be the wrong decision to (a) leave fifty people standing in the rain, and (b) let the driver of the next bus deal with them. The controllers were dealing with other incidents, so it took them a few minutes to get back to me.

During this time, a large number of irate passengers were staring at me (I was a safe distance away, displaying 'Ás Seirbhís', so they hadn't quite started banging on the doors yet). As far as they were concerned, I was just an ignorant bus driver, sitting on his warm bus, not giving a damn about them getting soaked. In the end, the controller agreed that I should pick them up. Even after I explained to them why I was waiting, and that I had been arguing in favour of not leaving them on the side of the road for God knows how long, they weren't very grateful. I'd think twice about doing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

you said nothing about him driving away initially, I suspect he was closing the doors whilst having a bit of a break and doing whatever he has to do at a terminus.

• Advertisement

It's unlikely that it was his decision to make. He could have been waiting for his controller to advise him on what to do.

I recently pulled up at a terminus at a busy shopping centre 23 minutes late due to traffic. My controller had contacted me earlier in the journey, telling me to abandon the next trip and drive 'out of service' as far as the opposite terminus, so that I could hopefully get back on-time for the rest of the evening. It's not ideal, but with scant resources, difficult decisions sometimes have to be made for the benefit of the service as a whole. As it turned out, there was a large queue at the first bus stop, so I radioed control to suggest that it would - on balance - be the wrong decision to (a) leave fifty people standing in the rain, and (b) let the driver of the next bus deal with them. The controllers were dealing with other incidents, so it took them a few minutes to get back to me.

During this time, a large number of irate passengers were staring at me (I was a safe distance away, displaying 'Ás Seirbhís', so they hadn't quite started banging on the doors yet). As far as they were concerned, I was just an ignorant bus driver, sitting on his warm bus, not giving a damn about them getting soaked. In the end, the controller agreed that I should pick them up. Even after I explained to them why I was waiting, and that I had been arguing in favour of not leaving them on the side of the road for God knows how long, they weren't very grateful. I'd think twice about doing it again.

IATDF (It's always the drivers fault)

Advertisement