Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Any reason i shouldn't (split thread)

• 05-12-2019 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭

Just to finish this thread off. mods might want to move it somewhere else and thats ok with me.

I think im gonna buy a brand new Air arms Galahad!
    https://www.lakelandsportssupplies.ie/shooting/Air-Guns/Air-Arms-Galahad-Extra-159-110-1255.html

~Anyone got a good reason why I shouldnt?

Its for Grey Squirrels, magpie, Rats, Rabbits, grey crow etc.

I know a rimfire can do all that, but ive been there before, I have owned multiple .22 rimfire, .22 hornet, OU 12 gauge shotgun, 9mm Glock pistol.

All sold when my kids came along, but the bug is biting back. No club or competition this time, got my land permissions sorted( a couple of lovely ones ).

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

The Galahad is a bullpup rifle and is a restricted firearm...you could have issues with getting it licenced, as it has to be signed off by the chief super in your area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,072 ✭✭✭Mech1

More info on Restricted air rifles would be interesting to me, I have the safe, and bedroom 5 lever lock and alarm as needed at the time to licence a Glock 9mm.

If un restricted would I not need a safe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

Mech1 wrote: »
    More info on Restricted air rifles would be interesting to me, I have the safe, and bedroom 5 lever lock and alarm as needed at the time to licence a Glock 9mm.

If un restricted would I not need a safe?

U need a safe for all any any type of rifle.
    For a restricted firearm you need a monitored alarm, there is no seperate licence firearm catagory for an air rifle, it is a firearm and the application is applied for and treated as any other firearm ...and in this case the Galahad falls into the Bulpup catagory and is a restricted firearm under the Firearms act.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭nophd08

Would be above the budget of the Galahad, but have you considered an FX Impact? (I don't have one) Not the prettiest rifle in my opinion but seems there's nothing to touch it once it's dialled in. I'm sure you've seen all the YouTube stuff.
    (edit, sorry, I've just seen your budget is up to €1000)

Budget can move! im looking your suggestion up now.

• Advertisement

FX impact doesnt seem to be in any Irish Dealers, im not gonna go through the extra hoops of importing. But thanks anyway for the suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,816 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

nophd08 wrote: »
    Would be above the budget of the Galahad, but have you considered an FX Impact? (I don't have one) Not the prettiest rifle in my opinion but seems there's nothing to touch it once it's dialled in. I'm sure you've seen all the YouTube stuff.
    (edit, sorry, I've just seen your budget is up to €1000)

There's two of us there.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tikkamark

If budget is not an issue go for an air arms s510 ultimate sporter xs there regulated and adjustable power in five stages,apparently the same internals as the s510 but in a much better imo looking package The Galahad hasn’t really been well recieved in England but the s410 and s510 are legendary over there for accuracy and build quality.
    Go to Lakelands and I can guarantee you will love the ultimate sporter they come in walnut,black or what I fell in love with and bought the laminate version!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

@ Mech1 - Thanks for the heads up, moved discussion posts to this thread from the Wanted thread, here, which is still open for anyone with anything to offer you.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Mech1 wrote: »
    Just to finish this thread off. mods might want to move it somewhere else and thats ok with me.

I think im gonna buy a brand new Air arms Galahad!
    https://www.lakelandsportssupplies.ie/shooting/Air-Guns/Air-Arms-Galahad-Extra-159-110-1255.html

~Anyone got a good reason why I shouldnt?

Its for Grey Squirrels, magpie, Rats, Rabbits, grey crow etc.

I know a rimfire can do all that, but ive been there before, I have owned multiple .22 rimfire, .22 hornet, OU 12 gauge shotgun, 9mm Glock pistol.

All sold when my kids came along, but the bug is biting back. No club or competition this time, got my land permissions sorted( a couple of lovely ones ).

Any advice?

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058034984

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Advertisement

OK I have bought a cheap rimfire to get my "first" licence let me get over that and i will come back to this air rifle thread soon.

Many thanks for all the advise, im much better informed on the current situ now.

Ok im back again with a question!

When i previously licenced firearms I went to the station to get the form, I see its downloadable now.

Should I go to the station get and fill a real form ( would it look better ), or just print out the download and run with that?

I know its a stupid question, but small things mean a lot to some Garda I have found.

The only stupid question is the one you don't ask. Print off the form, fill it out, double check everything it says and hand it in.

Advertisement