Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Boards.ie Game Awards for 2019 ** Results! **

• 02-12-2019 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭

Ready to go guys. Please vote here:

http://bit.ly/35y7LTu

Only vote on categories that affect you (i.e. if you don't have a Switch, don't pick the Switch category, etc.)
    All of the questions on the Fun page and Overall page are optional too.

The survey will stay open until Sunday at midnight. I'll post the results on Monday.

Morning all - time for the game awards for the year!

The first group of categories are now open for nominations. See the game awards forum to participate.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=499

The first group is:

Best Xbox One Game (Retail)
    Best Xbox One Game (Download Only)
    Best PS4 Game (Retail)
    Best PS4 Game (Download Only)
    Best PC Game (Retail)
    Best PC Game (Download Only)
    Best Switch Game (Retail)
    Best Switch Game (Download Only)
    Best Android Game
    Best iOS Game
    Best VR Game

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Just give them all to Ace combat 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,468 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Ah the most wonderful time of the year, the Boards Game Awards! Thanks for organising Mr. E!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm sorely tempted to vote COD

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

FYI I'm thinking of doing a separate awards in January for the best games of the Decade.
    I can do each console, overall, genre and do all the "fun" stuff across the whole 2010-2019 decade.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Lot of work there considering this decade also includes PSWii60, PSP and DS ad 3DS.

Plenty of big journalistic sites seem to have forgotten that handhelds exist for their big best of decade stuff.

• Advertisement

Change of plan. I'm going to take the winners for all awards from 2010 to 2019 and use them for the decade awards.
    It'll still be in January because we need to include this year's winners.

Mr E wrote: »
    Change of plan. I'm going to take the winners for all awards from 2010 to 2019 and use them for the decade awards.
    It'll still be in January because we need to include this year's winners.

Yrah, fair enough actually and cuts disk a lot of work and old games being forgotten because they're old.

Something tells me i should have played Sekiro this year :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Something tells me i should have played Sekiro this year :(

Without a doubt man. Probably the best From Software game ever (IMO). I've recently finished NG+2 which I never normally bother with. I never go for platinum trophies but I'm just three trophies short of it so will def do an NG+3 over Christmas.

It's probably the must frustrating game I've ever played, on a first play through, but the satisfaction of finally downing that ****** you've been stuck on for days can't be beat.

I also feel like i need to play Outer Wilds. Both that and Sekiro are my biggest regrets of not playing yet.

Article rings through about exploring in other games.

https://kotaku.com/outer-wilds-has-made-exploration-in-other-games-boring-1840148560?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There are two games I’d immediately recommend to anyone interested in games and where they’re going: Outer Wilds and Obra Dinn. They’re both operating on such a different level of design I’m really excited to see how their successes filter through to other designers.

Which isn’t to say Outer Wilds is an academic experience or anything: it’s maybe the only game that truly and fully gets the joy of exploration, in a way beyond collectibles or loot or upgrades or the other typical rewards for indulging your curiosity. It’s so far and away my game of the year even though there are lots of games I really loved in 2019: it’s just that good.

I completely forgot about Obra Dinn. 24 euro or 20 dollars on the US store, makes no sense.

There are two games I’d immediately recommend to anyone interested in games and where they’re going: Outer Wilds and Obra Dinn. They’re both operating on such a different level of design I’m really excited to see how their successes filter through to other designers.

Which isn’t to say Outer Wilds is an academic experience or anything: it’s maybe the only game that truly and fully gets the joy of exploration, in a way beyond collectibles or loot or upgrades or the other typical rewards for indulging your curiosity. It’s so far and away my game of the year even though there are lots of games I really loved in 2019: it’s just that good.

And I'd like to say if you want a game that does absolutely nothing new but is a pure distillation of everything that makes games great then Ace Combat 7 provides the most minute to minute thrills of any game I've played in a long time.

If there's one bad point against it it's that it has a severe lack of Geese.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    If there's one bad point against it it's that it has a severe lack of Geese.

That's such a fantastic criticism. I'm tired of influencers blaming lag, skill based matchmaking, lootboxes, DLC when the major problem is lack of poultry.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    That's such a fantastic criticism. I'm tired of influencers blaming lag, skill based matchmaking, lootboxes, DLC when the major problem is lack of poultry.

It does however have dog.png so can't be too harsh on it.

https://kotaku.com/ace-combat-7s-most-lovable-character-is-a-picture-of-a-1831875794

Also why are people voting for Kingdom Hearts 3. I thought humanity had was doing well at saving this planet by forgetting it was ever released. Some people just want to watch the world burn.

I remember playing the original ace combat games on the PlayStation and really enjoyed them. I have no interest in an air combat game these days but one day, I'm gonna find myself looking at AC 7 in a shop and I'm gonna buy it and it's gonna be solely down to Retro going on about it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,080 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Surprised there’s been no chatter about Disco Elysium - not just for the awards but generally in this forum! Have played a few hours of it now and it’s such a fascinating experience in so many cool ways. Couldn’t escape it with the podcasts and websites I frequent, so interesting that it hasn’t broken through.

Surprised there’s been no chatter about Disco Elysium - not just for the awards but generally in this forum! Have played a few hours of it now and it’s such a fascinating experience in so many cool ways. Couldn’t escape it with the podcasts and websites I frequent, so interesting that it hasn’t broken through.

Playing a game with so much writing (and one of the complaints I heard is that it's a wee bit overwritten) requires me to be in the right mood for it. I imagine with will be like the original Fallout or Planescape Torment where I'd need to dedicate some free time to it.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Playing a game with so much writing (and one of the complaints I heard is that it's a wee bit overwritten) requires me to be in the right mood for it. I imagine with will be like the original Fallout or Planescape Torment where I'd need to dedicate some free time to it.

Funny enough I’m actually finding it quite a relaxing, free flowing experience. I’m also playing Death Stranding that’s such a ‘need to be in the right mood’ experience for me that I’m already on an extended break :pac: Whereas Disco Elysium I’m happy out popping in for an hour (which inevitably turns into two) as I find it far less intensive even with the tomes of text.

Also got an achievement last night for invoking communist viewpoints in my dialogue options too often. 10/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,318 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Probably a bit late to change things now but is there's a need to split system categories by download only and physical? It gets even more blurred with the Switch now when so many games get a physical release months after the eshop version.

• Advertisement

I think it's broadly landed that way anyway, super_furry.

I'll close off these categories tomorrow and put the next batch up. Last chance to get your nominations in....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,583 ✭✭✭✭T. Hanks

Ion Fury FTW

Next group up now. :)

Fun: Best Art Design
    Fun: Best Character
    Fun: Pleasant Surprise
    Fun: Hottest Female
    Fun: Best Boss Fight
    Fun: Best Graphics
    Fun: Best Sound
    Fun: Best Music
    Fun: Best Game Design
    Fun: WTF Were They Thinking Award
    Fun: Best Story
    Fun: Hottest Male
    Fun: Biggest Disappointment

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=499

So great seeing all the Outer Wilds love, so so deserved and needs to be played asap.

I can’t vote for it for pleasant surprise though :p

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108857262&postcount=6

I can’t vote for it for pleasant surprise though :p

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=108857262&postcount=6

Ha, i had TLOU 2 and Cyberpunk, what an optimistic fool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    So great seeing all the Outer Wilds love, so so deserved and needs to be played asap.

Hadn't even heard of this tbh until these awards came up. Will look at picking it up once I'm through with Death Stranding

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Seeing as how we are at the end of the decade Me E, why not have a game of the decade poll?
    Be too much work for best rpg of the decade, etc, just one. the be all end all game of the decade :p

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Hadn't even heard of this tbh until these awards came up. Will look at picking it up once I'm through with Death Stranding

It was late coming to ps4 and i read a journalist tweet saying it was the greatest game world he ever played. I thought calm down, but picked it up a few days ago and he might be right. Absolutely incredible.

• Advertisement

Seeing as how we are at the end of the decade Me E, why not have a game of the decade poll?
    Be too much work for best rpg of the decade, etc, just one. the be all end all game of the decade :p

He already posted he will be doing one in January once 2019 is decided on.

Advertisement