Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SPSV Taxi Licence/Test

• 20-10-2013 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi guys. I'm currently out of work and finding it hard to find work. I recently passed my driving test and obtained my full driving licence. I have been looking at taxi driving now for a while as a way of making some money and getting back into work. I know I have to go for an SPSV licenece I think it's called? I printed off an application form for a test. It says you can only choose one test at a time. The one's listed are SPSV Entry Test, SPSV Industry Knowledge Test and Area Knowledge test. Do you have to do all three of these tests? Hope you guys can give me some info on this.

James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Burke_1984

Hi John. I actually failed that particular time. I've booked myself in again for this coming January so fingers crossed I can pass it this time but it is tough. Have you taken the test yet?

James

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Burke_1984 wrote: »
    Hi John. I actually failed that particular time. I've booked myself in again for this coming January so fingers crossed I can pass it this time but it is tough. Have you taken the test yet?

James

To be honest with you .I would look for alternative employment if I was you. Anything is better than taxi driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

Don't mind the above Burke. I did it for a while couple of years ago when I was out of work at the supposed height of the recession and still made a decent living until I was offered my present position. Plenty of lads in the industry whine and moan but I think it's just because they want to make the job unappealing for newcomers. Plenty of 2014 cars out there at the moment should tell you all you need to know. Good luck with the test and hope it works out well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Don't mind the above Burke. I did it for a while couple of years ago when I was out of work at the supposed height of the recession and still made a decent living until I was offered my present position. Plenty of lads in the industry whine and moan but I think it's just because they want to make the job unappealing for newcomers. Plenty of 2014 cars out there at the moment should tell you all you need to know. Good luck with the test and hope it works out well for you.

Yeah plenty of 2014 cars, which will have to be replaced at 9 years old with another car, but you then need to factor in that at the moment only WAT plates being issued and a new WAT is about €25-45000

Do the basic math,

2014 WAT + replacement WAT at 15 y.o + costs per year / 15 = ?????

????? being what you need to make per year for the 15 years just to taxi, add to that what you'd like to make as a business and then think about it

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

Its nothing to do about "whining" and moaning, it was honest advice to someone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭easygoing39

Left the taxi game in 2011,am very glad to have a PRSI job now.If you like working 50+ hrs a week for min wage then go for it!!! Don't forget to take fuel/car repairs/insurance etc and income tax out of that figure.Yeah you'll be rich by this time next year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Sebatron3

Has anyone successfully passed the SPSV test by studying the new ‘Free Now’ Manual? I know it’s different in every county (I’m in Cork) but I’d like to know if it’s worked for anyone, and if so, are they getting enough bookings off the app to make a half decent wage?

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

I'm over 20 years driving a taxi in galway .
    I work with free now taxis .
    This job all depends on your own circumstances .
    It all depends on whether you want to work days or nights .
    To run a taxi costs you in the region of €500 per week .
    If you decide to work only 5 shifts you will do well to earn €300 for yourself after you have paid out expenses .
    That's why so many drivers work long hours .
    I wouldn't advise it for anyone that doesn't like working nights or weekends .
    You will NOT make much money if you work only 5 days and not weekends .
    It's a good job if your other half is in a good job and you want to get out of the house .
    Don't go near it if your expected to be the main breadwinner .
    The money ain't in it for that .

I'm over 20 years driving a taxi in galway .
    I work with free now taxis .
    This job all depends on your own circumstances .
    It all depends on whether you want to work days or nights .
    To run a taxi costs you in the region of €500 per week .
    If you decide to work only 5 shifts you will do well to earn €300 for yourself after you have paid out expenses .
    That's why so many drivers work long hours .
    I wouldn't advise it for anyone that doesn't like working nights or weekends .
    You will NOT make much money if you work only 5 days and not weekends .
    It's a good job if your other half is in a good job and you want to get out of the house .
    Don't go near it if your expected to be the main breadwinner .
    The money ain't in it for that .

Thanks for the reply. Very informative. I have a small business that makes a reasonable weekend wage 1 to 2 weekends a month. My mid week week would be generally free (when I quit my minimum wage PRSI job). I like the idea of being flexible as I have kids who are busy with school and extra curricular activities, and I like to be involved in the picking up and dropping off etc. My partner is the bread winner. So maybe it will suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Ashleigh1986

Sebatron....it would help if you already have a car that could be used as a taxi .
    I wouldn't advise to borrow a lot of money to go into a business your not sure about .
    If your thinking of working Monday to Friday inclusive and on days it's vital you keep expenses to the lowest they can be .
    It's a huge advantage to you that your partner is in a good job .
    A lot of drivers aren't in the position , and it's hell when your taxi has broken down , and no money coming in to pay expenses .
    I will you well .... But think hard before you take the plunge .

• Advertisement

Sebatron....it would help if you already have a car that could be used as a taxi .
    I wouldn't advise to borrow a lot of money to go into a business your not sure about .
    If your thinking of working Monday to Friday inclusive and on days it's vital you keep expenses to the lowest they can be .
    It's a huge advantage to you that your partner is in a good job .
    A lot of drivers aren't in the position , and it's hell when your taxi has broken down , and no money coming in to pay expenses .
    I will you well .... But think hard before you take the plunge .

I was thinking of selling mine to buy a WAV, I’d probably get 9k for it, so I wouldn’t be taking more than a 5k loan to get on the road. But was thinking of renting a taxi first, that’s insured, to get a grasp of the business. Thanks for your advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Sebatron3 wrote: »
    I was thinking of selling mine to buy a WAV, I’d probably get 9k for it, so I wouldn’t be taking more than a 5k loan to get on the road. But was thinking of renting a taxi first, that’s insured, to get a grasp of the business. Thanks for your advice.

This. Rent first for at least a few weeks and don't base your expectations on what happens in December or January think what it is like the rest of the year and December January as the extremes

Advertisement