Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

"New" Xbox One X - Broken Box Seal On Delivery

• 04-12-2019 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭

My fiance bought an Xbox One X that was supposed to be bundled with Forza Horizon 4 and Forza Motorsport 7.

However, when it arrived at the door, she opened it and found that the sticky seal has been cut open and the two (assuming they're digital) games are not inside the box.

I rang GameStop to see what I could do, and they told me that I could bring it into one of the shops and they could have a look at it.

They also said that if they can replace it, I'd have to pay the difference. So if it goes back up to 499.99 I'd have to pay the extra 160 euro because some twat mucked up my order.

Can they do that??

I understand this should be on the consumer issues forum (and feel free to divert it there, mods) but I figured I'd get a more at-home response from an actual gaming forum.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

They also said that if they can replace it, I'd have to pay the difference. So if it goes back up to 499.99 I'd have to pay the extra 160 euro because some twat mucked up my order.

They absolutely cannot do this. They entered a sales contract with you. What you received wasn't what was agreed. It's up to them to fulfil that contract to you at the agreed price or refund you.

Definitely.

It's both illegal and mentally retarded. Tell them you'll bring it in, but if there is any issue then you'll be seeking a refund........and seeing as the price is now higher, you'll be expecting €160 extra in that refund......see if that softens their cough.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Their way around the "pay the difference thing" might be to say that this was a sale item, they can refund you for the transaction and then attempt to sell you a new one at the non-sale price. There are exemptions in consumer law as I understand it for things sold on sale. I believe there's a choice for the retailer to replace or refund in such instances. It'd be hesitant to go in gung-ho talking about the law if you're not 100% sure.

Probably a redundant question, but is there any chance they emailed digital codes for the 2 games to your girlfriend when she made the purchase? Seems very unlikely given the seal on the bosca was broken when it arrived, but just a thought and/or something Gamestop might try to pull a fast one with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

With the X there is a long piece of cardboard with instructions & codes etc inside. There's usually a few codes in there, for the digital games, Game Pass or xbox Live. I had to double check to find mine as the codes and instructions are usually just laid in the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

With the X there is a long piece of cardboard with instructions & codes etc inside. There's usually a few codes in there, for the digital games, Game Pass or xbox Live. I had to double check to find mine as the codes and instructions are usually just laid in the box.

I will take one last look at the weekend. I saw pieces of paper in them but assumed they were warranty leaflets.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

$hifty wrote: »
    Definitely.

It's both illegal and mentally retarded. Tell them you'll bring it in, but if there is any issue then you'll be seeking a refund........and seeing as the price is now higher, you'll be expecting €160 extra in that refund......see if that softens their cough.

This is 100% not gonna happen. Max refund is what the OP paid. Replacement would be better.

I've seen a few allegations of gamestop sending pre-owned stuff when a new item was ordered so look for other signs. Cable ties missing from power cables/hdmi etc. Any scratches or any missing protective film. Check out an unboxing vid on youtube to compare/contrast.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

Codes will be on a piece of paper in the box. Used consoles are always in a used box.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

I will take one last look at the weekend. I saw pieces of paper in them but assumed they were warranty leaflets.

If you look at this video below you see the cardboard thingy I'm on about from about 30 seconds to about 50 seconds. He pulls out the Instructions but there are two other bits with the Game Pass and Xbo xLive codes. That's where my Forza code was so have a good look at all of those sheets.

This is 100% not gonna happen. Max refund is what the OP paid. Replacement would be better.

Yeah, I'm well aware they wouldn't do that.....I'm saying you could use it as a counter argument to their bullsh1t excuse about making up the difference.

If you look at this video below you see the cardboard thingy I'm on about from about 30 seconds to about 50 seconds. He pulls out the Instructions but there are two other bits with the Game Pass and Xbo xLive codes. That's where my Forza code was so have a good look at all of those sheets.

The other half took a look earlier on, there was indeed a long slip of cardboard like that one in the video. it comes with a few leaflets, a code for 1 Month of Game Pass and Xbox Live Gold, but no game codes are in it.

I got an email response from Gamestop;

"Hello David,

Thank you for contacting GameStop Customer Service,

Please note that the console that you received may not have been sealed, but would have been un-used.

To display consoles on our shop floor, we may elect to remove the outer box of the console and store the internal box contents in our stock rooms.

The console would still be new and un-played, but would only be missing the plastic seal.

The Forza games in this bundle would be provided as a code on a slip of paper inside the internal box.

Can you please check that these are still present?

Please note that due to low quantities of items, we cannot guarantee sealed copies as a replacement.

If you are unsatisfied, the easiest way to return your product is by dropping into your local GameStop store and returning the item across the counter for a quick exchange or refund.

If you wish to go to the store please remember to bring a copy of your invoice you received when your item dispatched within 14 days of receiving your item.

Kind Regards,
    Colin │ Customer Service Omni Channel Support"

Obviously I've emailed them back to confirm the games aren't there...

Now, in their defence (to an extent) the polystyrene packaging (that the console itself is wrapped in) is wrapped tight and doesn't appear to have been tampered with in any way. In other words the contents of the box are perfect. It's just the broken seal, and the lack of the games.

I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt with this one, in that it could well have been a shop floor box, but it still doesn't explain the lack of the two games, unless they forgot to put them back into the box when packaging it - I don't know, but I'm happy I got a response than no response.

I'll be going into the shop on Saturday afternoon, with the box it came in. At the very least I want the two games, physical or otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

It is normal for the box on Xbox consoles to be unsealed if sold with a bundled game, the sleeve showing this promotion is then placed around the box with seal stickers attaching to the inner box.

Still odd that the card with the games was not inside though.

The card with the games should look like this.

81nqtdofCdL._SL1500_.jpg

Yeah those were definitely not in the box.

No sleeve either. Just the base box. It's almost as if they just grabbed it and packed it without a second thought.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,339 ✭✭✭Homelander

After getting a tatty, empty display case recently when I bought a game from their website, and being sent a completely wrong game as a replacement, I'm not surprised. At all.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah those were definitely not in the box.

No sleeve either. Just the base box. It's almost as if they just grabbed it and packed it without a second thought.

If there was no sleeve on the box then maybe you didn't get a game bundle console. How much did you actually pay?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If there was no sleeve on the box then maybe you didn't get a game bundle console. How much did you actually pay?

the reciept says "Xbox One X (1TB) with Forza Horizon 4 and Forza Motorsport 7". It was part of a Black Friday sale and was originally 499.99. Got it for 339.99

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,121 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

the reciept says "Xbox One X (1TB) with Forza Horizon 4 and Forza Motorsport 7". It was part of a Black Friday sale and was originally 499.99. Got it for 339.99

Yeah I was just wondering, if they had charged you 289.99 then you were only charged for the console but evidently not. The console was on sale for 289.99 without any games so if they can't supply you with replacements I'd be asking for 50 euro back or in store credit at the very least.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Yeah I was just wondering, if they had charged you 289.99 then you were only charged for the console but evidently not. The console was on sale for 289.99 without any games so if they can't supply you with replacements I'd be asking for 50 euro back or in store credit at the very least.

I just want the two games. If I can get those, I'll walk away satisfied.

At the very least I'm getting an Xbox One X.

To divert, this was supposed to be a surprise for me from my other half, but she had to break the surprise because she didn't know what steps to take after realising it was not what she ordered. So she asked me for help. It sucks but I don't like being misled, neither does she.

So we're gonna go in Saturday and see what our options are. They can't tell us to walk away with nothing solved, I know that much. The receipt is there as proof of purchase.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

I really don't know how anyone can give gamestop their money. You're better off buying from smyths. Better prices, better deals, second hand games that actually work and trustworthy. Everything gamestop isn't.

Wailin wrote: »
    I really don't know how anyone can give gamestop their money. You're better off buying from smyths. Better prices, better deals, second hand games that actually work and trustworthy. Everything gamestop isn't.

I didn't expect her to know the ins and outs of where the best places are to buy gaming-related products. I'm not calling her stupid, but she doesn't look into things with that frame of mind. Not everybody does. She just saw GameStop selling a console for a Black Friday sale and went for it. She's an honest customer and had no reason to suspect GameStop would mess up. She's bought consoles from there in the past and there have never been instances like this.

I don't intend on blowing this out of proportion either. It appears to be a simple mistake on their end and I intend on getting it fixed as soon as I can.

They can't send me away with an unsolved matter. Worst case scenario I'll ask for the console to be returned and a refund given to my partner in full, and just go elsewhere. But it won't come to that.

In fairness Gamestop had better deals than anywhere else on BF from what I saw bar one or two on the european amazon sites. They also had the best deal around on a switch by far when I bought mine too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Atlas_IRL

I didn't expect her to know the ins and outs of where the best places are to buy gaming-related products. I'm not calling her stupid, but she doesn't look into things with that frame of mind. Not everybody does. She just saw GameStop selling a console for a Black Friday sale and went for it. She's an honest customer and had no reason to suspect GameStop would mess up. She's bought consoles from there in the past and there have never been instances like this.

I don't intend on blowing this out of proportion either. It appears to be a simple mistake on their end and I intend on getting it fixed as soon as I can.

They can't send me away with an unsolved matter. Worst case scenario I'll ask for the console to be returned and a refund given to my partner in full, and just go elsewhere. But it won't come to that.

There head office should be able to give you two digital codes for those games if the store dont sort you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,990 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

I know you probably have your heart set on those 2 games, but On the off chance you don't get sorted, I have a code for sea of thieves and Forza Horizon 3 that came with my all digital console that you're more than welcome to. (I have both titles already).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,407 ✭✭✭Wailin

Wasn't having a go at you or your missus GB, just gamestop in general. Have always found them to be complete rip off merchants and they don't even check the second hand games for damage. The amount of times I've had to bring back used games for my son because they wouldn't work...

Update:

I went into Gamestop in Kilkenny and the woman there was really nice.

She listened to my issue and then told me that they could only do a replacement if it had the promotional sleeve on the box. Obviously it didn't, and she could see that, but because we had proof that it was sold to us as that bundle, she went out of her way to call every Gamestop store in Ireland, or as many as she could for the 10 mins she was away.

I said we'd go off and come back to just call me with any updates.

She called me 2 mins after leaving the shop and said that there was nowhere doing that bundle anymore, but to just let them switch it for any bundle that's available.

So she let me pick between the Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order bundle or the Fallout 76 bundle.

I got the Jedi one.

I even gave her permission to open the seal for me and make sure everything was there, and it was.

So I'm satisfied.

Problem solved out of their surprising good nature.

I'm happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,508 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Update:

I went into Gamestop in Kilkenny and the woman there was really nice.

She listened to my issue and then told me that they could only do a replacement if it had the promotional sleeve on the box. Obviously it didn't, and she could see that, but because we had proof that it was sold to us as that bundle, she went out of her way to call every Gamestop store in Ireland, or as many as she could for the 10 mins she was away.

I said we'd go off and come back to just call me with any updates.

She called me 2 mins after leaving the shop and said that there was nowhere doing that bundle anymore, but to just let them switch it for any bundle that's available.

So she let me pick between the Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order bundle or the Fallout 76 bundle.

I got the Jedi one.

I even gave her permission to open the seal for me and make sure everything was there, and it was.

So I'm satisfied.

Problem solved out of their surprising good nature.

I'm happy.

That sounds about right for GameStop, they probably ran out before your order and sent out whatever Xbox One X they had lying around. Never had an issue like this in store, but is a reasonably regular occurrence for their website.

At least you were able to get it sorted. Forza 7 isn't that expensive and Horizon 4 is in Game Pass if you want them.

That sounds about right for GameStop, they probably ran out before your order and sent out whatever Xbox One X they had lying around. Never had an issue like this in store, but is a reasonably regular occurrence for their website.

At least you were able to get it sorted. Forza 7 isn't that expensive and Horizon 4 is in Game Pass if you want them.

Well the twist is I already have Forza 7 lol. It was just the principal of it all that annoyed us. We were sold what wasnt what we ordered

Advertisement