Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Mandatory Caddie

Options
  • 03-12-2019 5:31pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I know of Adare (open parkland?) but now Royal County Down bringing in new mandatory caddie requirement, more cost to play these courses..

The Club have decided that all groups playing the Championship course from 1st March 2020 onwards must have a forecaddie with each game as a minimum caddie requirement.
    The added value this will bring to each group of golfers playing the Championship Links is quite simply unquantifiable.
    The challenges that the links provides will be eased, with the forecaddie helping to give golfers the correct line from the tees, and on the greens.
    Also, the assistance in locating stray shots will help improve the pace of play and therefore the enjoyment for all those on the links.
    The fee for a forecaddie is £80.00 plus gratuity.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

How much of that £80.00 does the caddy see? If less than like £75 then it's ridic scummy tactics

I assume (like Waterville etc) that the caddy makes their money off tips etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Caddy's almost always employ the services of a pimp to keep them safe. If a caddy tries to goes out on their own they are in great danger from other caddys and caddy-masters. Plus the cops are cracking down on all that business now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

(Caddys are always paid directly by the golfer)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,324 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

RoadRunner wrote: »
    (Caddys are always paid directly by the golfer)

Ah fair enough so

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

slave1 wrote:
    The Club have decided that all groups playing the Championship course from 1st March 2020 onwards must have a forecaddie with each game as a minimum caddie requirement. The added value this will bring to each group of golfers playing the Championship Links is quite simply unquantifiable. The challenges that the links provides will be eased, with the forecaddie helping to give golfers the correct line from the tees, and on the greens. Also, the assistance in locating stray shots will help improve the pace of play and therefore the enjoyment for all those on the links. The fee for a forecaddie is £80.00 plus gratuity.

A forecaddie's role is to wait down the fairway and spot where balls have landed. Makes the round more enjoyable and speeds up play, especially on a tough links.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Only had a caddy a couple of times, but boy is it great. Ok, so it costs you a few quid, but if you are playing a great course that you dont know, its more than worth the cost.

Caddy costs can be split. We've had a walking caddy between 4 of us before. He just helps out with the course, everyone carries their own bag.

Best time I had with caddies was in the US. Where I played they were nearly all West Indian. If you could talk to them about cricket they would do almost anything for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Only had a caddy a couple of times, but boy is it great. Ok, so it costs you a few quid, but if you are playing a great course that you dont know, its more than worth the cost.

Caddy costs can be split. We've had a walking caddy between 4 of us before. He just helps out with the course, everyone carries their own bag.

Me too. I always thought having a caddy was a bit of an affectation but had one playing Tralee a few years back (paid for by rich american relatives) and it was GREAT.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

First Up wrote: »
    Best time I had with caddies was in the US. Where I played they were nearly all West Indian. If you could talk to them about cricket they would do almost anything for you.

Anything?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭benny79

Had a caddie in st Andrews was really looking forward to it. I must of got the worst caddy of all time he was a fat useless ........... So much so he totally ruined my experience some what I even gave him a tip and he had the ignorance to count it in front of me never again!

Wont this just put the price of these clubs up and unattainable for the average golfer!

• Advertisement

Anything?

Well, almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭plumber77

benny79 wrote: »
    Had a caddie in st Andrews was really looking forward to it. I must of got the worst caddy of all time he was a fat useless ........... So much so he totally ruined my experience some what I even gave him a tip and he had the ignorance to count it in front of me never again!

Wont this just put the price of these clubs up and unattainable for the average golfer!

Why would you tip him?

plumber77 wrote: »
    Why would you tip him?

Because it was £50 for caddy + a recommended tip of £20

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Ronney

Quite a few blind shots in RCD so the Forecaddy is actually quite useful here.

1 between 4 only adds £20/25 to the round. Would also help speed up play

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

Ronney wrote: »
    Quite a few blind shots in RCD so the Forecaddy is actually quite useful here.

1 between 4 only adds £20/25 to the round. Would also help speed up play

Absolutely, you wouldn't have a clue off the tee if it was your first time. Or second.

Oh sorry I read this wrong 1 caddy for a group would be a good idea as it would only be an extra £20 pp or so

Advertisement