Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Driving Home For Christmas

• 03-12-2019 9:50am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭

No not the song... :P But I firmly expect ye all to be humming it now.

So for any of the elves that are driving home for Christmas, what are yer traditions for the trip?

Do ye have to stop off somewhere every years for a bite to eat, does Christmas FM guide the way? Do ye sing, play games? How do ye drive home for Christmas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,786 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

On the way home from the shopping\walk etc on Christmas Eve, it's Christmas FM in the radio and if they aren't playing Driving Home for Christmas, it'll be played from Youtube :)

ps I think Chris Rea is starting his epic trip from Dakar right now...

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

It kind of became tradition that my husband would sneakily text Christmas FM to say hi to me before we left the house or while he was queuing to pay for petrol but so many people text in on Christmas Eve so the chances of missing the message are high! It's Christmas FM the whole way down unless we hit a blackspot. (Grrr Tipperary!) We could play it via our phones but radio blackspots also seem to be data blackspots. (Grrr Tipperary!) I always have a list of the frequencies on my phone, and most of them tuned into the radio so we spend a lot of time flicking between stations!

Quick pitstop in Cashel if we need the toilet, otherwise it's straight down.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It kind of became tradition that my husband would sneakily text Christmas FM to say hi to me before we left the house or while he was queuing to pay for petrol but so many people text in on Christmas Eve so the chances of missing the message are high! It's Christmas FM the whole way down unless we hit a blackspot. (Grrr Tipperary!) We could play it via our phones but radio blackspots also seem to be data blackspots. (Grrr Tipperary!) I always have a list of the frequencies on my phone, and most of them tuned into the radio so we spend a lot of time flicking between stations!

Quick pitstop in Cashel if we need the toilet, otherwise it's straight down.

I feel your pain with the blackspots, my end destination is Tipperary :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Loughc wrote: »
    I feel your pain with the blackspots, my end destination is Tipperary :pac:

It makes me so irrationally angry. :D And even if you do manage to get Christmas FM on the radio near Tipp, it will inevitably be interrupted when the radio picks up one of the many Tipperary radio stations. I suppose shouting at the radio is one of my Christmas Eve traditions!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It makes me so irrationally angry. :D And even if you do manage to get Christmas FM on the radio near Tipp, it will inevitably be interrupted when the radio picks up one of the many Tipperary radio stations. I suppose shouting at the radio is one of my Christmas Eve traditions!

Yeah TippFm will do that to a person :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭polydactyl

First year ever hosting in own home...no drive home for Christmas.....temp stop to that tradition

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

polydactyl wrote: »
    First year ever hosting in own home...no drive home for Christmas.....temp stop to that tradition

You can count yourself lucky. Too many wacky drivers out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

In years past, our tradition used to be stopping off in Singapore and Amsterdam before arriving into Dublin.

You could always pick out the Irish on the flight, wearing Christmas jumpers and Santa hats. The goodwill on them flights was always great! And it was usually Aer Lingus for the last flight and you’d get tayto and Cadbury chocolate on board :)

And then you’d land and turn on your phone as you were taxiing and you’d get a message with a picture of your family stood on front of “those” doors waiting (ye all know the ones - The best Christmas gift you’ll receive is about to walk through these doors) and honestly, there is no better feeling or way to get home.

This year we just need to drive down from Dublin so a little less excitement, but can’t wait all the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Working all day Christmas day, finish at 9pm so I'll hopefully have the road more or less to myself, quick spin round town taking in the lights before the drive home. Then see if the kids (not young anymore) want to stay up and open everything Christmas night, or wait until Stephens/Boxing day. Nearly always the former, which I don't mind but I will be knackered!

Oh, and I do have the song on a loop going home too.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Hosting again this year so no real driving. Was in my sisters before we started having everyone and she is only 15 mins away so no real time from traditions! Haha

I do love that song though and is easily in my top 5 Christmas songs!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Batgurl wrote: »
    In years past, our tradition used to be stopping off in Singapore and Amsterdam before arriving into Dublin.

You could always pick out the Irish on the flight, wearing Christmas jumpers and Santa hats. The goodwill on them flights was always great! And it was usually Aer Lingus for the last flight and you’d get tayto and Cadbury chocolate on board :)

And then you’d land and turn on your phone as you were taxiing and you’d get a message with a picture of your family stood on front of “those” doors waiting (ye all know the ones - The best Christmas gift you’ll receive is about to walk through these doors) and honestly, there is no better feeling or way to get home.

This year we just need to drive down from Dublin so a little less excitement, but can’t wait all the same!

I can relate to this a lot. Ours was Abu Dhabi, Amsterdam or London then to Dublin. Now its a nice 8.5 hours direct.

Spend a few days in Dublin then off to Limerick and as with the others curse Tipp as we lose Christmas FM, we should do a convoy!!

Sometimes we stop in Barack Obama plaza for a refuel and I will slag how outside of Dublin has amazing sights such as a petrol station. This year we will have our 11 month old in tow so maybe more stops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Jesus is everyone passing through Tipperary? Lol. I'll be travelling from Belfast to Tipperary on the 23rd. I usually have a Christmas CD that I stick on because I'm never guaranteed to get Christmas FM on the radio (especially up here).
    My only other tradition which I don't do anymore because I have the Toll Tag now is to pay the tolls for the person behind me. It always gave me such a buzz when I was heading home.

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Jesus is everyone passing through Tipperary? Lol. I'll be travelling from Belfast to Tipperary on the 23rd. I usually have a Christmas CD that I stick on because I'm never guaranteed to get Christmas FM on the radio (especially up here).
    My only other tradition which I don't do anymore because I have the Toll Tag now is to pay the tolls for the person behind me. It always gave me such a buzz when I was heading home.

Looks like a Christmas Form meet up in Tipp is on the cards :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I'm based in Dublin 15 and never have further to drive for Christmas than Dublin 13 to meet up with the in-laws. That journey usually takes 20 minutes unless the traffic is crazy & i'm never out of range of Christmas FM so happy days!

One of my favourite christmas time jouneys though was a few years back, we had a project on site in Sligo & I'd be up & back a couple of times a week. The last trip up there that year was the day before we wrapped up for christmas so I was up there until late evening trying to make sure everything was set up for the break so there'd be no issues over the holidays, anyway, I left Sligo at about 6.30 and it started snowing as I was leaving. I always enjoyed the drive to Sligo & it usually took about 2 & a half hours, but that night it took me nearly 3 & a half/4 hours, but I enjoyed it immensely, with practically no traffic, a christmas cd or 2 to keep me company & the snow falling it was such a lovely calm picturesque drive home with little or no stress as the next day was a desk clean up day or suchlike... It just felt so peaceful & quiet. Chances of it happening again are slim to none but hey, whats seldom is wonderful.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    I'm based in Dublin 15 and never have further to drive for Christmas than Dublin 13 to meet up with the in-laws. That journey usually takes 20 minutes unless the traffic is crazy & i'm never out of range of Christmas FM so happy days!

One of my favourite christmas time jouneys though was a few years back, we had a project on site in Sligo & I'd be up & back a couple of times a week. The last trip up there that year was the day before we wrapped up for christmas so I was up there until late evening trying to make sure everything was set up for the break so there'd be no issues over the holidays, anyway, I left Sligo at about 6.30 and it started snowing as I was leaving. I always enjoyed the drive to Sligo & it usually took about 2 & a half hours, but that night it took me nearly 3 & a half/4 hours, but I enjoyed it immensely, with practically no traffic, a christmas cd or 2 to keep me company & the snow falling it was such a lovely calm picturesque drive home with little or no stress as the next day was a desk clean up day or suchlike... It just felt so peaceful & quiet. Chances of it happening again are slim to none but hey, whats seldom is wonderful.

What I wouldn't give for that now..........a bit of 'me time', snow and Christmas song..........bliss

Mollyb60 wrote: »

We have a payment tag ourselves, I wonder could you still stop and pay for the person behind. Cause that's a lovely idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭gourcuff

can't wait for this.. get on the road home and this beauty comes on the radio...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

Only place I stop is at the flower place on the Naas road for flowers for my mother and a wreath for my grandparents' grave. When the car is jam packed I don't like parking and leaving it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Driving to mayo this weekend. It’s our wedding anniversary weekend so while we do Christmas in our own house the weekend before it’s always off to my parents and the town we married in.

It’s Christmas fm as far as the signal carries into the west and then nowadays switch to Christmas playlists. The boys are old enough to be excited and they’ve both missed the west so much this year they are high as kites. I cannot wait!!!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 7,920 Mod ✭✭✭✭cee_jay

I am heading West this weekend - first time since August!
    As soon as we hit the motorway, Driving Home for Christmas is put on, and then Christmas FM for the rest of the journey (except through the aforementioned blackspots in Tipperary grrr). I will have a spotify Christmas playlist downloaded for those areas this year though. Wearing our Christmas jumpers down, with the car loaded with presents, wine and board games. It is the best drive of the year.

• Advertisement

Based on the guff heard on Newstalk this morning from TH & MM make the most of the few days guys as its looking like back to level 5 (ish) from the 28th, no more than 2 households together & gastropubs/cafes etc back to take away service only.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭JohnGreenFan

Counting down the days now, just 3 to go until I'm driving home! Christmas FM allk the way, thankfully only passing through Tipp for about 20 minutes near the end of my journey so I don't lose it for too long, and spotify playlists take over for that period. I don't usually stop anywhere as Christmas dinner will be waiting on the table for my return!

Sounds like it'll be a much shorter visit this year than previous years but grateful for any opportunity to head home, even if just for a few days.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,999 ✭✭✭Caranica

Counting down the days now, just 3 to go until I'm driving home! Christmas FM allk the way, thankfully only passing through Tipp for about 20 minutes near the end of my journey so I don't lose it for too long, and spotify playlists take over for that period. I don't usually stop anywhere as Christmas dinner will be waiting on the table for my return!

Sounds like it'll be a much shorter visit this year than previous years but grateful for any opportunity to head home, even if just for a few days.

I drove down the M7 on Saturday and had Christmas FM all the way from Dublin to Limerick and beyond. Was expecting to lose it in Tipperary but didn't.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,475 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

First time ever we won’t be driving anywhere . I hate the Chris Rea song - it reminds me of being stuck in a line of traffic around the Kilcoran Lodge , the apparently culchie- approved “ drop point” for presents or people going to / from Dublin .

Car condensed up and packed to the roof with out the direct space in line with the driver’s mirror left to allow me to see out . And being absolutely wrecked !

My drive home at lunch was a mare, traffic in castleknock was the worst I've ever seen it, took me 2 hours from to get home. Hoping that was the last of the madness and tomorrow isn't as bad. Though ill be avoiding driving for a while now anyway I suspect. At least I had Christmas FM to keep me company though.

Drove home to Tipp with ChristmasFM keeping me company all the way there with no interruptions this year and same for the trip back to Dublin today.

Advertisement