Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Good non alcoholic beer?

Options
  • 28-11-2019 3:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭

Any different non alcoholic beers about?

IPA’s etc?

I know the brewdog one is decent but anything else?

Anywhere with a half decent selection?

I should mention in an offi

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

BrewDog have 2 now, Nanny State and Punk AF. I prefer Punk AF, find it a lot more refreshing and drier than Nanny State.

Wicklow Wolf have a 0.5% pale ale called Moonlight, too. It's nice, quite fruity.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

irish_goat wrote: »
    BrewDog have 2 now, Nanny State and Punk AF. I prefer Punk AF, find it a lot more refreshing and drier than Nanny State.

Wicklow Wolf have a 0.5% pale ale called Moonlight, too. It's nice, quite fruity.

Where do you get these?

Wicklow Wolf in particular

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

OPEN GATE FROM DIAGEO

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Where do you get these?

Wicklow Wolf in particular

I got mines as a freebie but I'm sure someone else will know.

Tesco UK do the BrewDogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Heineken 0% is one of the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I am loving Erdinger Alkoholfrei. I buy 7 bottles very weekend and drink one a night. Lovely and crisp from the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭RonanC

irish_goat wrote: »

While the Brewdog ones are fine, Wicklow Wolf's is easily the best NA beer I've drank.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I quite like Brooklyn Brewery's Special Effects. Got it in SuperValu.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,618 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I quite like Guinness/Open Gate Pure Brew

• Registered Users Posts: 16 AirGuitarist

Holland and Barrett do a really nice NA fruity pale ale, and their stout and lager are nice too. About €1.79 a can

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Glebee

Had to have a few Heineken 0 one evening and was actually surprised at now decent it was. It done the job perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

I’ll try a few of those suggestions in particular looking forward to trying the Wicklow wolf pale ale.

But tonight I stopped to do some shopping in Lidl and found a perlanbacher IPA non alcoholic.

It’s not bad. Somewhat hoppy, a little sweet and worty for those who have brewed. But all in all it’s decent for a euro a bottle. Would definitely pick it up again.

Their non alcoholic weisbeir is also very good. Slightly more expensive but a pint bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Op asks for ipa style suggestions as NA beer and folks come on with Heineken 0.

... Read the room

listermint wrote: »
    Op asks for ipa style suggestions as NA beer and folks come on with Heineken 0.

... Read the room

Well no. He said “IPAs etc”. The inclusion of “etc” throws the floor open to other NA suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Peroni Libera, beautiful.

Heineken 0 is fine but I get the feeling is not as much "0" as the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

How come there don't seem to be n/a stouts/porters on the market?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Franziskaner do the best N/A Weisse I know of. Its good enough to pass as alcoholic imo. It can be a little hard to come across though. Tesco used to stock it, but don't anymore AFAIK

• Registered Users Posts: 33,613 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Well no. He said “IPAs etc”. The inclusion of “etc” throws the floor open to other NA suggestions.

..Well when someone says IPA's etc i wouldnt jump automatically to the etc being ..Heineken (ever)

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Becks was one of the original and practically only alcohol free beers available for years and it really didnt do it or the zero alcohol beverage market any favours as it tasted awful. Thankfully you have a fair few to choose from now. Most pubs seem to have Heineken zero now in bottles and some pubs even have it on draught. Carlsberg zero is also available now. You have Paulaner and Erdinger, I can recommend Stiegel also. It has to be said while these beers are marketed as alcohol free I have found if I have 4 or 5 in a night I do have a headache the following morning, I feel this is primarily because of the chemicals in these beers over and above the alcohol which has obviously been extracted.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Shame isn't it? Last year's Guinness one was quite decent (this year's was crap), and there's a really good one by Švyturys called Juodas but I've never seen it here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Dungarvan have a pale ale called Main Sail that comes in at 0.4%. I saw it in the Tallaght branch of Molloy's last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭Simmer down

Estrella 0% on draught is nice imo. Has to be ice cold.
    My local club has it, but I'd imagine it's hard to find.

Edit: You can get bottles or cans in an off licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,372 ✭✭✭Ryath

Got a Big Drop Brewing Stout up the north the other day to try. Can’t remember if it was Tesco’s or Sainsbury’s though. Haven’t tried it yet so no idea what it’s like. Got a few Franziskaner NA too will concur with onlyrockandroll it’s quite good. Nice to have options to have the odd dry day/driving over Christmas or to mix in one or two if you are having heavy night to save the head in the morning.

Lidl have a €1 NA IPA that’s not too bad certainly prefer to any of the NA lagers. I’d still prefer the NA Patronus Weisbeir they have that’s €1.30

I had Becks Blue out a few weeks ago as it was the only NA available.

It was revolting. In fact I left half of it behind.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I must behonest I find most NA beers gimmicky and are rarely tasteful. If i am not drinking I will have a coffee or a soft drink.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

L1011 wrote: »
    I quite like Guinness/Open Gate Pure Brew

I found it tasted watery, like someone had a 1/4 glass of beer and then topped up the glass from the tap. IMO, one of the worst out there.

Had the Brooklyn one the other night, that was decent for a NA beer. Must try the Wicklow Wolf one soon.

Franziskaner do the best N/A Weisse I know of. Its good enough to pass as alcoholic imo. It can be a little hard to come across though. Tesco used to stock it, but don't anymore AFAIK

Dunnes do it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I had a pint of Heineken Zero on draught last week and actually found it grand.

I do think a lot of it has to do with it being from a tap and in a pint glass, I'm sure there's a psychologist somewhere with an angle on this.

You would know the difference taste wise, but it is a bit sharper than the same drink from bottles.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

If you like wheat beer, then paulaner or erdinger taste the same as their alcoholic brothers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

Aldi's own brand NA weissbier is as good as NA Erdinger IMO. The NA Pale Ale in lidl is really enjoyable. Those two got me through Sober October :)
    Baltika 0% if you can find it.

Advertisement