Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sunday competition booking system

• 29-11-2019 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭

What is the fairest way to do the Sunday booking system. My club have a draw in the club house bar for the times the week before a competition. When your name comes out your take the whole line. 1)My problem with it is that members who are not from the area have to travel for the draw. 2) Booking complete lines does not encourage an mixing of players. 3) The lines booked often dont show up do others miss out.
    In the plus side it generates business at the bar do change is not a preferred option.
    Is the standard in other golf clubs curious to know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

I spend all day every day around time sheets and have never seen that

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

That's a bizarre setup.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭xgronkjabv6pcl

I think I know the club being referred to by the OP. If I'm correct I joined a different club in close proximity to the area as a result of hearing how the comp tee times are decided.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

What is the fairest way to do the Sunday booking system. My club have a draw in the club house bar for the times the week before a competition. When your name comes out your take the whole line. 1)My problem with it is that members who are not from the area have to travel for the draw. 2) Booking complete lines does not encourage an mixing of players. 3) The lines booked often dont show up do others miss out.
    In the plus side it generates business at the bar do change is not a preferred option.
    Not anywhere I've ever been. My club uses BRS booking system and it's all done on line. A lot of other clubs (most of them?) use the same system. You just book a free slot and people can join in with you if there are openings.

That 'system' seems bizarre as hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

I think I know the club being referred to by the OP. If I'm correct I joined a different club in close proximity to the area as a result of hearing how the comp tee times are decided.

I'm very much thinking the same thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭ThunderCat

That 'system' is mental.

I am curious as to the rationale from the club's side why they think it is a better system to the standard approaches.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

My original club did the exact same thing for the Sunday competition (Friday's were online). Used to drive me beserk because I was a distance member and could never get a good time when I was coming home for the weekend. That said, I thought it was a good idea to get people into the bar on a Saturday. If they'd just put it online after the draw I could have stuck my name down somewhere, instead I had to get people to go to the club for me to stick my name down or chance my arm getting a time the day before.

Now it's all online in corballis. The only thing I don't like is that people can book lines without sticking down their playing partners names. So I suspect people are booking lines in case their friends are free to play and deleting late if they don't.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I’ve seen about 6 clubs this year change their procedure.

For 4 balls a member can only book 2 other members, so singles can still get a game at a reasonable time.

I think introducing a digital purse also helps with members booking other members on spec. I know a number of clubs that have a cut off time, so if you cancel after that time you don’t get your comp fee back unless the committee authorise it.

One of my bug bears has always been the locking of a tee time for 3 minutes, I have seen that abused. My preference would be to leave it open so anybody can log on a 1st to book gets it. But it’s always gonna be subjective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I thought chronogolf was about as crap as it can get but this is just stupid daft

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭plumber77

My club uses masterscoreboard for booking. Bookings are done in groups. 7am to 7.40am is one group of 12 players. There is s random draw then for the 3 groups of 4 which I like. You can only book yourself in. No line blocking

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭Ollieboy

So this club as a lot of distance membership to keep it going and they use this system so the local members get the best spots on Sunday? From a committee perspective I can understand it but it’s a club that probably going nowhere.

Ollieboy wrote: »
    So this club as a lot of distance membership to keep it going and they use this system so the local members get the best spots on Sunday? From a committee perspective I can understand it but it’s a club that probably going nowhere.

What makes you think it has a lot of distance members? Perhaps it does but I'd say less than some clubs in the area.

I'd imagine it's doing quite well as an 18 hole course but again others in the vicinity doing slightly better.

*Again I'm assuming I know the course in question

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,651 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Whatever system there is in operation, the biggest annoyance to me is getting there and no one around with the timesheet full i.e. lads booking and just not turning up, it's great on one hand as we fly around but then there's days we can't get out because timesheet full and I do wonder was it actually full on the day, I'd bet not but I'm not going over to the course with another couple of lads waiting to see if folk don't turn up...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

On my course if your name is on the time sheet at 7 the night before you're automatically charged regardless of whether or not you turn up.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

On my course if your name is on the time sheet at 7 the night before you're automatically charged regardless of whether or not you turn up.

That’s the way it should be

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭blue note

Ollieboy wrote: »

I was a distance member on a course that did this, so presumably the same course setting how rare it seems to be. I have no idea why we're keeping the name a secret.

But I think they only brought in distance membership as an option in the last decade, just before I finished my intermediate membership. If they hadn't I have left, no way I was paying €1250 for a course when I was living 2 hours away. Think the distance was 4 or 5 hundred.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

blue note wrote: »
    I was a distance member on a course that did this, so presumably the same course setting how rare it seems to be. I have no idea why we're keeping the name a secret.

But I think they only brought in distance membership as an option in the last decade, just before I finished my intermediate membership. If they hadn't I have left, no way I was paying €1250 for a course when I was living 2 hours away. Think the distance was 4 or 5 hundred.

Blue note we're talking about the same course Tramore.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

slave1 wrote: »
    Whatever system there is in operation, the biggest annoyance to me is getting there and no one around with the timesheet full i.e. lads booking and just not turning up, it's great on one hand as we fly around but then there's days we can't get out because timesheet full and I do wonder was it actually full on the day, I'd bet not but I'm not going over to the course with another couple of lads waiting to see if folk don't turn up...

Another head wreck is when a club have an open competition during the week and the timesheet is empty so youve nobody to play with but it turns out loads of members turn up and play but dont bother using the BRS. Absolute head melt altogether.

Clubs should fine members for not using the BRS properly, no exceptions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

davegilly wrote: »
    Another head wreck is when a club have an open competition during the week and the timesheet is empty so youve nobody to play with but it turns out loads of members turn up and play but dont bother using the BRS. Absolute head melt altogether.

This can be a real problem in clubs and results in income loss. If i am looking for an open and see very few on the timesheet i always go elsewhere. I live in the general Kildare area and some clubs around me have a great thing going on Wednsdays with huge entries, Millicent and Lisheen Springs are the ones that spring to mind while other clubs incuding mine might get 20 tops. Clubs should incentivize BRS entries and early entries so that people loggin on without a partner have confidence in the sheet filling up and not being left HIGH AND DRY as joey says.:D

I’ll be upfront and say I’m biased as I’ve spent years developing a tee sheet (it’s not easy)

We just finished an API with handicapmaster that if a club turns it on means you can’t enter a club comp unless you’re on the time sheet and paid up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

That's the way my club does it too. Booking for Sunday goes live on BRS at 10pm the Sunday before. It's fastest finger first as to who gets what slots. It's not perfect, but it's the best I've seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

That’s the way it should be

I don't agree tbh.

There's genuinely times where the next day comes and I'm just not up for the game. In particular in regards to the weather on-the-day etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,823 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

callaway92 wrote: »
    I don't agree tbh.

There's genuinely times where the next day comes and I'm just not up for the game. In particular in regards to the weather on-the-day etc.

yea a nice 2 fingers to the other lads on the line who turn are up for it and turn up, never mind the poor lad who is at home because he couldn't get his name down on the sheet

look, if the day is a wash out thats fair enough, but if you are just not up for it because there is a bit of rain...... well then you are part of the problem that these guys are trying to fix

• Registered Users Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Seve OB wrote: »
    yea a nice 2 fingers to the other lads on the line who turn are up for it and turn up, never mind the poor lad who is at home because he couldn't get his name down on the sheet

look, if the day is a wash out thats fair enough, but if you are just not up for it because there is a bit of rain...... well then you are part of the problem that these guys are trying to fix

Yeh, I'm part of the 'problem' so, and genuinely have no remorse for it. Things get in the way of it.

Not saying I ever 'no-show' a game, but was just speaking in the hypothetical sense that I can understand it from the player's point of view.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

I don't agree tbh.

Nothing worse being on a line with 4 others and there is a no show and u are playing at 4ball pace in a 3 ball.
    For me it is very poor form if the reason is I just don't fancy it.
    U get charged in my club for your comp fee and I think it should be the norm stops the line blockers and makes it easier for anyone that wants to play to get out.

I don't agree tbh.

Not having a go at you personally but I think that is very unfair on other members. Bad weather is not a valid excuses for cancelling a tee time that someone else could have taken and planned for.

I’ve no problem with the cancellation but if it’s after the cut off (6pm the day before let’s say) then your comp fee should be forfeit.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭davegilly

Clubs should really get rid of the option for one person to book a full line. I know two lads that always do it. They book the line but only two of them show up so they dont have to play with anyone else.

Everyone should have to logon like everyone else and book their own time or at the very most only allow you book two spots It would stop people doing what the lads are at above but it would also encourage players to play with different people as well.

And anyone showing up for a competition without booking on the BRS shouldnt be allowed play - No exceptions. This wouldnt be long cutting out that behaviour.

People like the two examples above are costing their clubs money doing what they do. And it seems to be tolerated everywhere unfortunately.

• Advertisement

Clubs should really get rid of the option for one person to book a full line. I know two lads that always do it. They book the line but only two of them show up so they dont have to play with

A digital purse eliminates this, I’m pretty sure most tee sheets have it, certainly ourselves and BRS

Advertisement