Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Game Awards 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,472 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Death Stranding with the most nominations and you know what, rightly so. Poor DS though, of it wins, out will be put down to bring Geoff's best friend even though it's user voting. Out of the GOTY list, it should win imo.

It is ridiculous however that Mads and Norman got performance nods. Both good but Troy Baker gave one of his best performances imo. If they weren't Hollywood names, he would have been there. From the performance category, hoping Ashley takes it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I think you mean ace combat 7 when you talk about what should win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

You're both wrong. Sekiro Game of the Year for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,785 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As with all awards like these, how many people have played all the games in the categories they're voting in?

Do have to laugh at how Nintendo basically get a category to themselves with Best Family Game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Well deserved nominations for Control, excellent game.

Where the f### is Days Gone though? Bizarre

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Well deserved nominations for Control, excellent game.

Where the f### is Days Gone though? Bizarre

It got fairly mediocre critic reviews so that's probably why it didn't make the cut. Most of these awards shows are a pile of ****e, they will give awards to the most woke game or games by the big companies they don't want to offend.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Have not played Death Stranding yet so I cannot form my own opinion whether or not it should win GOTY but judging by by the review scores I have read , from the positives to the negatives the majority of the people all have said the same thing that the game is a slog to play with an repetitive mission structure , incoherent story with drag out moments players have to endure to see some of the games best highlights.

Again I have not played it , but I think there are other games in the category that are more engaging and well balanced as a videogame that should win it over DS. Sekiro is my personal pick for GOTY.

The thing about Death Stranding is the majority of negative things i see online are from people who haven't played it or journalists. From people who actually played it, it's getting a much more positive response but will always have an asterisk beside it because if you like it, you're a kojima fanboy apparently as there's no way a game about delivering packages could be good.

It's probably the best game I've played in a few years (Days Gone is still my goty 2019 just because of how much i love it) but a lot of people won't give it a chance which is a shame.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,776 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Nominations are kind of rubbish as usual. Just a list of the biggest games of the year rather than the actual best ones. Outer Wilds is the only one there that I'd consider game of the year material.

Would love to see an awards event with a more curated list but probably not going to happen due to the state of games journalism. It's filled with excitable 20 something year olds because of how badly paid it is and they're only interested in the latest big blockbusters. It's basically the equivalent of a film awards event where the films are chosen by people how have only seen the latest blockbusters/marvel films.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    The thing about Death Stranding is the majority of negative things i see online are from people who haven't played it or journalists. From people who actually played it, it's getting a much more positive response but will always have an asterisk beside it because if you like it, you're a kojima fanboy apparently as there's no way a game about delivering packages could be good.

It's probably the best game I've played in a few years (Days Gone is still my goty 2019 just because of how much i love it) but a lot of people won't give it a chance which is a shame.

Death Stranding will always be a niche game. From a technical standpoint its made exceptionally well and the attention to detail is superb. What it does it does well but the game play loop can be pretty boring for most people. Personally the only category I would nominate it for would be narrative and I cant imagine this would be nominated for as many categories if it wasn't a Kojima game and all the hype that entails. The game commits the worst sin a game can commit and that is being boring (for the majority of gamers). If it was shorter then it wouldn't be as bad but at lot of people will bow out before the end because the game play is dull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,798 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

The game commits the worst sin a game can commit and that is being boring (for the majority of gamers). If it was shorter then it wouldn't be as bad but at lot of people will bow out before the end because the game play is dull.

I'm only a few hours in, but I'm leaning towards this. I'm gonna give it another go Monday during the day (working 12 hours today and tomorrow so won't have the mental capacity for it tonight/tomorrow night), but I can see myself trading it in unless something amazing happens in the next go. And I already agree that it would have been a far better game with less nothing happening and a more defined playthrough, more akin to an interactive narrative with some gameplay elements (like TLoU).

As for the awards, fan voting will never work because not everyone will have played all the games. I have yet to play ANY Zelda game, so hearing people say it would be GOTD material makes it harder for me to vote because I don't want to do it an injustice simply because I haven't played it.

Totally disagree with anyone saying Dark Souls (or its ilk) is GOTD though... Just, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭YouSavedMyLife

Honestly don't care who wins what. Only good thing about the awards are new trailers. Elden Ring plssssssss

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Honestly don't care who wins what. Only good thing about the awards are new trailers. Elden Ring plssssssss

True, keep forgetting there will be some nice stuff cropping up. Wonder if Nintendo will have another Bayonetta 3 vid like two years ago, since weve had 0 info since then of the game!

I got Control today and can see what all the nominations are about, ****ing awesome game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Nominations are kind of rubbish as usual. Just a list of the biggest games of the year rather than the actual best ones. Outer Wilds is the only one there that I'd consider game of the year material.

Would love to see an awards event with a more curated list but probably not going to happen due to the state of games journalism. It's filled with excitable 20 something year olds because of how badly paid it is and they're only interested in the latest big blockbusters. It's basically the equivalent of a film awards event where the films are chosen by people how have only seen the latest blockbusters/marvel films.

You are asking for the impossible here. You hate everything.

You are asking for the impossible here. You hate everything.

You haven't heard of Ace Combat 7???

You haven't heard of Ace Combat 7???

Or Dark Souls!

What premier's ye looking for at this? Would love a new Batman reveal.

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1200864465186521088?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

I got Control today and can see what all the nominations are about, ****ing awesome game.

Tempted to pick it up myself, absolutely love Remedy's work. Been trying to get into something post Death Stranding but nothing stacks up, feeling like Control could be the one to get me out of the rut.

goon_magee wrote: »
    Tempted to pick it up myself, absolutely love Remedy's work. Been trying to get into something post Death Stranding but nothing stacks up, feeling like Control could be the one to get me out of the rut.

I had low expectations for it, thought it might be a generic run and gun but it's definitely one of my top games this year. Completed the other night and was an absolute joy. Also, was a lovely change of pace to death stranding :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

What premier's ye looking for at this? Would love a new Batman reveal.

https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/1200864465186521088?s=19

Capcom said they have one unannounced game which all signs are pointing to Resident evil 3 remake. Cant wait ! XD

Batman/Rocksteady game
    Metroid
    Zelda

I'd say will get at least 1 of those. For Metroid, it mightn't be Prime 4.

Less than 2 weeks to go. Doesn't seem that long since was thinking it was ages away.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Batman/Rocksteady game
    Metroid
    Zelda

I'd say will get at least 1 of those. For Metroid, it mightn't be Prime 4.

Less than 2 weeks to go. Doesn't seem that long since was thinking it was ages away.

Have Nintendo ever announced a game at the Game awards?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

TitianGerm wrote: »

They done the kickass Joker reveal for Smash bros last year, so id say its definitely possible. Heck, they could have done more last year, i just cant recall :D

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭panevthe3rd

TitianGerm wrote: »

I think they announced Bayonetta 3 at it. Sure it was Reggie.

Yeah, Bayonetta 3 was announced as well as the ports of the first 2.
    So would be a good place to announce Prime HD trilogy if they had a trailer for Prime 4.
    May even get a Bayonetta 3 trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,319 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I feel if we do get a Prime HD trilogy it'll be one of those.....and it's available now announcements.

Don't know if there'll really be as much Nintendo stuff as in the past. Reggie and Keighly were tight.

You know what I'd love? A new IP. I was ok with remasters and re-releases, but I'm getting sick of them now. Wish they'd spend more time on new IP's, or at least a re-imagining.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,444 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,774 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Mr E wrote: »

Hopefully we see a bit more of Elden Ring.

Advertisement