Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jim Gavin

• 30-11-2019 1:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭robbie67

I don't know if was posted yet but Jim Gavin has resigned from the Dublin Managers Job

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

robbie67 wrote: »
    I don't know if was posted yet but Jim Gavin has resigned from the Dublin Managers Job

In Dublin thread

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Philo62

In Dublin thread

He has been massively successful, like all great leaders he is getting out at the top with reputation intact, will very hard act to follow & Dublin are not going to dominate much longer, if any longer. Probably too late for Mayo but the Kingdom will rejoice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Quit when you're ahead I guess. Good move.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Probably going to write a book so banal and cagey that it makes Joe Schmidt’s one seem like an edge of your seat thriller.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Friends of mine who work in the hospital cant say enough good things about the man.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Philo62 wrote: »
    He has been massively successful, like all great leaders he is getting out at the top with reputation intact, will very hard act to follow & Dublin are not going to dominate much longer, if any longer. Probably too late for Mayo but the Kingdom will rejoice

I'd be very surprised if they don't win next year again - way ahead of any team there at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭C__MC

Absolute gent of a man
    Always gracious in defeat and a humble winner

His ability to see Dublin over the line in really tight games was his trademark,

The dismantling of Tyrone in 2017 was brilliant- beat Mickey harte hands down that day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭gaffer91

He seems like the greatest manager ever on initial glance but do a little digging and it's clear that with all the unfair advantages Dublin enjoy compared to every other county (population, funding, de facto home advantage etc), judging his true legacy is very difficult. I think many others would have achieved an equivalent level of success with Dublin.

Dublin will continue to dominate for years to come without him, likely endlessly if the status quo is maintained. The test for truly judging Gavin as a manager will be whether he can be relatively successful with a weaker county which doesn't enjoy the advantages Dublin have.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

gaffer91 wrote: »
    He seems like the greatest manager ever on initial glance but do a little digging and it's clear that with all the unfair advantages Dublin enjoy compared to every other county (population, funding, de facto home advantage etc), judging his true legacy is very difficult. I think many others would have achieved an equivalent level of success with Dublin.

Dublin will continue to dominate for years to come without him, likely endlessly if the status quo is maintained. The test for truly judging Gavin as a manager will be whether he can be relatively successful with a weaker county which doesn't enjoy the advantages Dublin have.

Ah there it is. Phew. I was worried there.

• Time and a place lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Time and a place lads

He's not dead. But some can't keep their bitterness to themselves even for one day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭munster87

In the top 3 of greatest ever GAA managers and still a young man for that job. Would be nice to see him throw his hand at another county in future.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,129 ✭✭✭✭km79

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Friends of mine who work in the hospital cant say enough good things about the man.

Always came across very well to me as well to be fair
    Very few managers get to go out at the top like he has
    Fair play to him.
    It’s obvious he put in a huge amount of time as a manager to get every detail right so I am not suprised he has gone after the 5 in a row

Kerry will probably sneak in now and steal a soft AI next year while me and mayo suffer on :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

km79 wrote: »
    Always came across very well to me as well to be fair
    Very few managers get to go out at the top like he has
    Fair play to him.
    It’s obvious he put in a huge amount of time as a manager to get every detail right so I am not suprised he has gone after the 5 in a row

Kerry will probably sneak in now and steal a soft AI next year while me and mayo suffer on :(

I still think Dublin will be the team to beat for another few years regardless. 1 championship loss in 7 years is some record, he must surely be up there with Cody and Dwyer as the greatest managers in GAA history, the only to win 5 in a row. He is right to take a step back from it now after all he has put into it. But a more level playing field would be nice, Dublin have been incredible to watch which he deserves massive credit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,118 ✭✭✭PressRun

Some managers linger on too long hoping to keep getting better and better and it usually ends up going stale. He went out on a high having achieved everything he could. Respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Philo62

I still think Dublin will be the team to beat for another few years regardless. 1 championship loss in 7 years is some record, he must surely be up there with Cody and Dwyer as the greatest managers in GAA history, the only to win 5 in a row. He is right to take a step back from it now after all he has put into it. But a more level playing field would be nice, Dublin have been incredible to watch which he deserves massive credit for.

Absolutely still team to beat but Gavin gave them an edge & picked team on form alone & was merciless in that regard, never seen that before prob never will again

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭john9876

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭john9876

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

No doubt he was a very good manager and you could see that the players respected him.

I still think he could have given a bit more than his 'say nothing and keep saying it' approach to media interviews, for me he didn't need to be so extreme about that and come across so banal, but he obviously had his reasons for doing it like that and he never made it about himself.

But it would have been nice to see a bit of passion from him sometimes or see him drop his guard a bit. Not keep sounding like a politician or a cagey corporate CEO. Because behind the scenes he was surely a much more nuanced character than he allowed anyone outside the group to see.

Well done to him anyway, and fair play for stepping aside and giving someone else a go at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭Rosita

gaffer91 wrote: »

He seems like the greatest manager ever on initial glance

He won 2 Under-21 All-Irelands in 3 years with a county that had won just 1 in the previous 46 years. He won 6 Senior All-Irelands in 7 years with a county that had won just 3 in the previous 36 years. Three of those were by a point and two were in replays yet the team was well organised enough to get through in those very difficult scenarios every time. I think no matter how many glances you take he seems like the greatest manager ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Probably going to write a book so banal and cagey that it makes Joe Schmidt’s one seem like an edge of your seat thriller.

I suppose you might hope that’s the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭Rasputin11

He owes the county nothing according to Ciaran Whelan. I hate that aul cliché with a passion.

• Is it a slightly unusual time to retire, shortly before the league begins?

I would have thought if he was retiring he'd have done it a couple of months ago, but now am thinking that he announced it to tho county board and players a while back, or even a select few, and has just been prepping for the handover.

• Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭fermanagh_man

One of the nicest most humble men in the GAA

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

munster87 wrote: »
    In the top 3 of greatest ever GAA managers and still a young man for that job.

Top 3?
    Guess they do say better to be lucky than good.
    He nearly lost 3 of the finals despite all the advantages. Just look at how badly his call to bring in connelly nearly cost them.
    That said he is young enough to manage some other team to see if he is anywhere as good as Harte, Heffernan, McGuinness, Mick O'Dwyer, Sean Boylan etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,694 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Is it a slightly unusual time to retire, shortly before the league begins?

I would have thought if he was retiring he'd have done it a couple of months ago, but now am thinking that he announced it to tho county board and players a while back, or even a select few, and has just been prepping for the handover.

I’d imagine it was known for a good while but a clever move to keep quiet until now...

His departure might have otherwise galvanized other counties had it been announced earlier... changed the minds even of players from other counties who had planned say going abroad for a year.

Even his departure is planned with succinct precision so as not to give too much of an advantage to the opposition. Smart and thoughtful.

Best manager the game has seen, easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭spurshero

Top 3?
    He nearly lost 3 of the finals despite all the advantages. Just look at how badly his call to bring in connelly nearly cost them.
    That said he is young enough to manage some other team to see if he is anywhere as good as Harte, Heffernan, McGuinness, Mick O'Dwyer, Sean Boylan etc.
    I’m no Dublin fan . McGuinness won one all Ireland Gavin won 7 . And you reckons he has to manage another county to prove if he as good as him . Lord above !

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Top 3?

Wouldnt rate McGuinness heffo or harte near him. Also where else did they do it?

Micko is better but that's it, your own limits aren't being applied to that list??

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

spurshero wrote: »
    I’m no Dublin fan . McGuinness won one all Ireland Gavin won 7 . And you reckons he has to manage another county to prove if he as good as him . Lord above !
    He won with Donegal! Not kerry or Dublin. He also revolutionized football.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Disappointed to see him go.
    Really liked everything about him and his teams.
    For me, the greatest GAA manager of all times.

Advertisement