Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Motion 36. What is your county doing in 2020.

• 24-11-2019 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭

Personally not in favour of moving to the odd numbers. Hope it doesn't affect feile as it is a great gathering and competition.

County shall retain the discretion to set its own
    Under Age Grades for its internal competitions and
    it shall also be allowed to deviate in its internal
    competitions from the 1st January start of year date
    as stated in the “Definition of Span

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

Cork staying as is

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Feenie

probably a Munster title (hopefully)
    a more driven performance with a long sweeping style scoring from far out
    crashing out in the semi-final to Kilkenny/Galway
    Minors will do well, not sure what they'll win.
    wishful thinking but I'm hopeful for Clare now that we have Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

big_drive wrote: »
    Cork staying as is

Good for cork.
    It was something that snuck in by surprise. Few clubs in another county were told they had no choice it was a croke Park ruling. Don't know if it's been debated at club level in many counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,106 ✭✭✭big_drive

I know it was debated at County board level in cork. There was reasons why they choose to remain but I can’t remember the exact details

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Donegal staying as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

I know Roscommon are staying the same as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JJs Left Hand

Kilkenny moved to odd numbers and introduced an U19 age group as well at the start of the 2018 season.

U19 a waste of time as like our U21 it's just tacked on at the end of the year and played in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Cavan moved to odd last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭wirehairmax

The move to 13,15,17 wont be felt until a chap reaches the end of his underage career having played his last underage game at for his club at only 16 or barely turned 17. Too young for adult competition and with the U20 grade not being given its due importance by the county fixtures committee, the ordinary club player will drift away after spending a year training with no games to play at his own age or level. You will have some boys at 17 who may be mature enough and will be able to handle themselves physically but it will be the minority not the majority. Most responsible coaches or managers will be reluctant to throw these players into competitive games especially when it comes to championship time. I know in my own district, the junior B is competitive and we have a decent panel at that level and some of this years crop of U17s just wouldnt be able for it. We have 12 moving up from U17 this year, 2/3 will go onto the intermediate panel, 2/3 may be worth a shot with the B team but that leaves at least 6 in limbo. These 6 would benefit so much from another year at underage, it may be the difference between them playing on or quitting.
    I was at the presentation of medals to the wexford u17 hurlers recently and they all looked so young considering they will never play another game of underage hurling again. Even the woman sitting next to me remarked ''god, theyre only kids''.
    I just think the whole thing has been designed with the ''elite'' (I hate using that word in a GAA context) player in mind. They are getting dragged and pulled out of in all directions. But while that player is off with the county, the club player is crying out for meaningful games. And at that age they want championship action, not practice matches or continuous training waiting for the inter-county competitions to conclude.

• Advertisement
Advertisement