Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Rás is back sort of...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭Bambaata

Its great to see. Hopefully it can get back to the longer format. I wonder when in season itll take place!? Anyone heard anything Ive a few blackout weeks where its a no-go so fingers crossed its not during those!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I for one am super excited, I won't lie, I thought it was gone for good, well done to all involved. I think they made the right choice in dropping the UCI ranking from it. I know there are benefits but I still think it will draw a decent mix of semi pro teams from the UK and elsewhere. Plenty of great races here and abroad that get huge interest that are not UCI ranked.

Now for the waiting ot see where it is going.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

any word on the grapevine as to the change in personnel?
    it seems to still involve people previously in the RAS, but they've reformed to form a different committee?

Ger Campbell seems to be at the helm, he'd have been invoked in organising committee for years anyways. I guess tis the same organising committee but just without the Dignams.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

"...we would like to thank Cumann Rás Tailteann and the Dignam family for entrusting us with the organisation of this great race going forward,” said Ger Campbell

Why did the Dignams seem to gain ownership of it?
    Dermot Dignam came into it with long involvement in the sport and the NCA but unless I'm mistaken his daughter had no real experience prior to taking over the biggest event in Irish cycling, which is a tough gig to be thrown into.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Lewotsil

"...we would like to thank Cumann Rás Tailteann and the Dignam family for entrusting us with the organisation of this great race going forward,” said Ger Campbell

Why did the Dignams seem to gain ownership of it?
    Dermot Dignam came into it with long involvement in the sport and the NCA but unless I'm mistaken his daughter had no real experience prior to taking over the biggest event in Irish cycling, which is a tough gig to be thrown into.
    His daughters have been involved in the RÁS for as long as I can remember

Regional Development manager for Dublin GAA for over a decade, degrees in sports management, and a background of hard work in the Ras from before I started paying more attention than just looking at results. Not given, well earned in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

The Dignams are heroes and cycling in this country owes them so much.

I just hope their departure was consensual. I'd hate to think of them being shafted in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

The lack of a title sponsor would give cause for concern . If I was going to relaunch the Ras it would be on the back of a long term sponsorship deal .

You can't run races like this on passion and commitment alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

The lack of a title sponsor would give cause for concern . If I was going to relaunch the Ras it would be on the back of a long term sponsorship deal .

You can try though. Best wishes for a successful relaunch to all involved.

• Advertisement

I imagine they have a better chance of finding a future title sponsor once the success in its new format is seen. Established events can show metrics, costs, media presence. Start from scratch in another year or two and it would be near impossible I imagine. Fair play to all involved. Hopefully we see a huge flood of support from all areas, including media coverage, crowds at races, marshal volunteers etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Lewotsil

The organisers had held out for a long term sponsor - simply not there. Best to give it a try anyway.

I always thought it should have gotten a government bailout as it is not just a sporting event but also cultural/part of our heritage etc.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I just do not think the big sponsors are out there any more. They simply do not get the exposure to warrant it, and big business has to justify every cent they put into things like this

The Ras has cut its cloth accordingly. It started out as what, a 2 dayer? It then increased over an extended period. 5 days is not unreasonable in my view and if it can survive at that level then so be it. If we can get a handful of foreign teams over then great, but I think they very much need to consolidate at this level as a priority

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,219 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Lewotsil wrote: »
    I always thought it should have gotten a government bailout as it is not just a sporting event but also cultural/part of our heritage etc.
    given that sports grants are yet again in the news, it begs the question how much an event like this would need from a sponsor to make it viable.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,156 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It was running on €350k+ with a title sponsor

Probably going to be significantly south of €200k in the new format, at a guess

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

CramCycle wrote: »
    Regional Development manager for Dublin GAA for over a decade, degrees in sports management, and a background of hard work in the Ras from before I started paying more attention than just looking at results. Not given, well earned in my opinion.

Lest there's offence taken where none was intended I didn't mean to disparage anyone's work. You can trace the id of the race through the Christles, the NCA, and the Dignams and maybe it's not healthy to depend so completely on individual commitment. I'd go so far as to say a national tour should involve a national committee i.e. CI.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

Lest there's offence taken where none was intended I didn't mean to disparage anyone's work. You can trace the id of the race through the Christles, the NCA, and the Dignams and maybe it's not healthy to depend so completely on individual commitment. I'd go so far as to say a national tour should involve a national committee i.e. CI.

CI don't even organise the National Champs at any level . This is left to the host clubs to do so at a massive financial cost .

Events like the CX Champs always cost the host clubs in the end as the entries no longer cover the cost to run such events .

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭royrogers

In previous years when would the route become public knowledge, before Christmas?

royrogers wrote: »
    In previous years when would the route become public knowledge, before Christmas?

Previous years it's been the end of January I think

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭slow

Great to see the Rás going ahead. Hopefully it'll be a little later than May to help extend the season.

The news definitely re-energised a few guys in our training group to start half-wheeling last weekend...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

slow wrote: »
    Great to see the Rás going ahead. Hopefully it'll be a little later than May to help extend the season.

The news definitely re-energised a few guys in our training group to start half-wheeling last weekend...

I heard that it's going to be be mid-June.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Me and Lenny are riding it ;)

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I heard that it's going to be be mid-June.

That'll be me out then :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Plastik

Looking forward to seeing the proposed format and dates. If it works for me I'll definitely consider it. Won't be able to make a June slot either this year unfortunately .. but leaves me free to concentrate some guilt free enduro racing if it is.

RobFowl wrote: »
    Me and Lenny are riding it ;)

They'd better get the route out soon then, to allow you enough of a head start....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    They'd better get the route out soon then, to allow you enough of a head start....

I don't need a head start young man.....

I just need a late finish ;)

Well I am the stereotypical A4, no results to show off all season, barely controlling my weight, gave up trying to in September. One mention of the Ras being back and I am the lowest weight i have been all year inside of a fortnight :D Now, how to get to A2 as quickly as possible :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,625 ✭✭✭✭dahat

CramCycle wrote: »
    Well I am the stereotypical A4, no results to show off all season, barely controlling my weight, gave up trying to in September. One mention of the Ras being back and I am the lowest weight i have been all year inside of a fortnight :D Now, how to get to A2 as quickly as possible :pac:

Can I be on your team??? 🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭Thud

if it's a shorter Ras, are you still a man of the Ras if you complete it?

not that I'd even make it to the end of a stage

• Advertisement

Thud wrote: »
    if it's a shorter Ras, are you still a man of the Ras if you complete it?

not that I'd even make it to the end of a stage

I am voting yes, I presume the team will make the 5 stages suitably difficult to make up for the reduction in days, be that in length of stages or amount of climbing.

Advertisement