Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

To decorate or not to decorate today

• 24-11-2019 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭OU812

Spouse & kids want to start decorating today. I'm against it. Should be no tree until after November etc.

However... this December is incredibly busy for us with us away for the first two weekends...

Preaching to the converted here I know, but six weeks of Xmas clutter???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

How long does it take you to decorate your home for Christmas? Surely you can find the time in December Personally 6 weeks is way too long .

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

Could you do it mid-week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭I Am The Law

No, December 10th.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Do what you want, it's your home! :pac:

Plenty folks like to have the place decorated by the toy show on the 28th, others don't put anything up until Christmas week!

I've already seen a few houses that are decorated already, so you won't be alone.

I don't see the harm if they want to decorate today.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I say go for it. If you have a busy December you have more time to enjoy the decorations now if you decorate now.

Just do what makes you happy :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Jordyn Small Neckline

To each their own. We never put decorations up until 8th December at the very earliest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

To each their own. We never put decorations up until 8th December at the very earliest.

We follow the old tradition up on the Dec 8 and down on the Jan 6th.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

As others said do whatever suits you. We are taking the decoration down during this week and will put them up over the a few days. Putting a fake tree up next week and then will do the real tree last around the 8th/9th.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

I’d be inclined to get it over with if you are booked those two weekends. During the week can be very busy and stressful. At least you’ll have done and can enjoy yourself not thinking about getting it done.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'd be on the side of it being too early; but if you're away for a decent amount of time... kids can want to see the decorations up for a certain period of time, I definitely did up to some age and they might see the days away as not counting.

Unless your Christmas lights are blue, in which case leave it a bit longer. Like January longer :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

OU812 wrote: »
    Spouse & kids want to start decorating today. I'm against it. Should be no tree until after November etc.

However... this December is incredibly busy for us with us away for the first two weekends...

Preaching to the converted here I know, but six weeks of Xmas clutter???

Its not REALLY six weeks of Christmas clutter if you are not there for the full six weeks :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I spotted 4 neighbours in our estate with their lights up last night - I am assuming that inside the house is also decorated but I couldn't see in :D So you won't be the earliest and if you have limited time over the next few weeks you might as well get them up. I realise this is a bit late not, maybe your tree is up already :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I've noticed a few trees up already - I guess people want them up for the Toy Show but won't have time during the week - I'm aiming for Thursday afternoon & Friday afternoon for the tree as I'm on half days both days and the rest over the weekend.

Advertisement