Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Salthill going downhill?

• 25-11-2019 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭

I have noticed in the last year especially that Salthill is going downhill due to lack of maintenance i.e. the footpaths and the prom are cracked and in need of repair. the seats are in need of repair ans the public toilet near the car park seems to be out of order for several months. The empty tourist office is not doing much for the place too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,734 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Have others noticed this trend?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭youngrun

saabsaab wrote: »
    I have noticed in the last year especially that Salthill is going downhill due to lack of maintenance i.e. the footpaths and the prom are cracked and in need of repair. the seats are in need of repair ans the public toilet near the car park seems to be out of order for several months. The empty tourist office is not doing much for the place too.

Tourist office should surely be reopened if the city were serious re encouraging business and visitors to area.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Yea salthill has so much potential and a great repetition but if they seem to want to renovate or keep it with the time. I hate seeing it wasted but our city planners have proved how in-depth they are time and time again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Paul Pott

Salthill should have a waterpark and a thermal spa.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭Buddy74

Totally agree, I walked out from town to matches in Pearse Stadium and loads of buildings looks like they needs a powerwash or a lick of paint.
    I'm sure I'll get back lash from some but it looks like the council don't spend much time keeping the areas except in summer time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

The council are an absolute joke. They have zero foresight and have to be the least proactive shower of wasters in the entire county and that's from experience of dealing with nearly every council. So so so inept.

Sathill should be thronged. It has such potential

It just seems to be let drift and living on fading past glories now. I wonder has anyone local raised it with the local representatives and got a response?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,963 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

It just seems to be let drift and living on fading past glories now. I wonder has anyone local raised it with the local representatives and got a response?

Why don't you, and let us know the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭Triangle

I do know that the council has a huge debt repayment due this year because of ill advised land purchases previously. This repayment means a heap of cash is going to loans instead of to facilities and it was meant to be (at least part) paid by the government but they decided not to back in the day and left it with galway city council.

Just another example of reduced services due to bank repayments unfortunately.

Fair point. I actually did speak to one candidate during the local elections. He said he noted what I said and was elected. No sign of any change though.

I think much could be improved with some maintenance work that wouldn't involve capital expenditure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭Storm 10

The timber seating on the prom is getting dangerous now, I was sitting there during the Summer and some of the seat timber is rotten and sticking up and the varnish is peeling off them, I know it would cost but they need to install maintenance free seating or else replace the rotten timber which would probably be more expensive.

Storm 10 wrote: »
    The timber seating on the prom is getting dangerous now, I was sitting there during the Summer and some of the seat timber is rotten and sticking up and the varnish is peeling off them, I know it would cost but they need to install maintenance free seating or else replace the rotten timber which would probably be more expensive.

Yes, needs action now before it's too late and someone's hurt they get sued. A stitch in time and all that. Wouldn't cost much to repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I brought it up with numerous candidates for various elected posts, a summary of what they say is.....private property and not gcc's problem, lack of gcc interest in sorting out what is their issue and local resistance to plans

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Tribesman West

Very disappointing to see the Tourist Office in the state it is in. Salthill Prom is an iconic feature of Galway City and eyesores like this should not be allowed, they could screen it off or maybe just have it removed if there is no future use for it.

Slowly commercial ventures are making small improvements to Salthill but the City Council needs be more proactive in maintaining what is a vital tourist spot in the West.

Sadly the Councillors who were knocking on the doors for the last election seem to go to ground once elected or at least that is the impression they give at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

It a pity to see it going down hill again , it got very run down about 15 years ago but it had seemed to be coming back around again but on my last visit it has seemed to getting very run down and unkept looking ... it’s a pity because it has big potential being so close to town centre and it’s strange that the powers that be are ignoring the potential it has.
    I know a lot of similar seaside resorts have fallen on the wayside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

That coloured material atop the cement on the prom seems to never be maintenanced. It has eroded away in the many places throughout the city and I've never seen it fixed up. For instance, the cycle lane on the WDR is very bumpy in certain parts due to the uneven surface.

I did remember them repairing and repainting the wood benches along the prom a few years back. Seems like a really good candidate to replace with those indestructible resin 2x4 planks.

That coloured material atop the cement on the prom seems to never be maintenanced. It has eroded away in the many places throughout the city and I've never seen it fixed up. For instance, the cycle lane on the WDR is very bumpy in certain parts due to the uneven surface.

I did remember them repairing and repainting the wood benches along the prom a few years back. Seems like a really good candidate to replace with those indestructible resin 2x4 planks.

That coloured stuff what exactly was it? Seemed very smelly for a long time. The resin wood is ideal for where the seats are situated.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Worn Out

They were supposed to refurbish the diving board last year but that never happened.

Worn Out wrote: »
    They were supposed to refurbish the diving board last year but that never happened.

I didn't know that. How long is the diving board there?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Bring back the platform

• Advertisement

Bring back the platform

??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

In the absence of a reply - I'd say so.

Its interesting that others here have noticed this downward slide too. If the public representatives aren't able or unwilling to get improvements what is the best way to get something done re maintenance.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,298 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Its interesting that others here have noticed this downward slide too. If the public representatives aren't able or unwilling to get improvements what is the best way to get something done re maintenance.
    Campaign for householders to pay higher property tax

Its interesting that others here have noticed this downward slide too.

I'm not sure if it's fair to paint the area as being on a downward slide. In fact, local businesses have formed their own community group (much like the Latin Quarter, etc) and put on a summer market and more events to bring people to the area.

It's fair to say its been more or less consistently overlooked and underfunded. The council are there every morning maintaining it and we did get the path from blackrock to the driving range back after it washed away in a storm. But big improvements or investments aren't likely. There have been long running issues like the under use of Leisureland and the tourist office being shut for decades. There have been several floods causing lots of damage too which doesn't help.

Seaside towns like Salthill can't help but show their faded glory compared to their heyday when cheap flights to Spain weren't the norm. Some of the buildings do look weather-worn but I've seen O'Reillys and Seapoint doing routine maintenance. Bailypoint had scaffolding up for what good it did. There's an interesting thread you can search up to learn about the history of the Burren Mount which in the biggest eyesore there.

However on the whole the area remains relevant and at least maintaining if not going upwards. I think the new Omniplex is a good sign for things to come and there are some great places to eat there too.

I get what you're saying but what is needed is basic maintenance i.e. paths seats made safe at least. I know that a seaside place is going to get storms but that is the case with all seaside places. Look at Lahinch it is hit with much worse weather but is restored and maintained at a high level.

Great, no need to put the area down here when you can do something about it so.

https://www.galwaycity.ie/council-mayor-information#6

Scroll down to "Galway City West" and get calling and writing.

Would that work? If the public representatives aren't able or unwilling to get improvements is there another way to fix this. I'm not putting it down but pointing out what is to me and others obvious decline.

Would that work?

Take notes from here and knock up a quick email then copy and paste it to them all.

Also keep pestering customerservice@galwaycity.ie until they hook you up with someone in Rec & Leisure Public Walkways dept.

Post the letter here and maybe some of us might send it on too.
    churchhill wrote:
    Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.

Don't knock it till you try it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,963 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Contact one of the local rags or GBFM, maybe they'd highlight the issues concerned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement