Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

21 Bridges - Chadwick Boseman as Detective

• 19-07-2019 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

The Russo Brothers plastered heavy in this trailer but they are just producers.

Directed by Irishman: Brian Kirk who has mainly had TV experience (some season 1 game of thrones episodes)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_Kirk

San Diego Comic Con Trailer:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

This is out here now. Anyone seen it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭ronano

mikhail wrote: »
    This is out here now. Anyone seen it?

It's a 3/5 heist gone wrong investigation. It moves at a fast clip and I think was 95 minutes minus the end credits. A film I'd go see if you have an interest or wanna kill some time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Got decent write ups by two guardian/observer critics - pleasingly old school is the view.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,910 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Reminds me of 16 Blocks

• Registered Users Posts: 9,961 ✭✭✭cena

Seen it yesterday. Thought it was good

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Reminds me of 16 Blocks

The best Die Hard film never made.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I saw it on Friday, and I thought it was very good

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

This was a time-capsule of a movie, a throwback to when adult, cop-centric action adventure films were all the rage, especially those "ticking clock" variants that appeared in the wake of Die Hard. And 21 Bridges wasn't looking to reinvent or subvert this moribund sub-genre either: very much a nostalgic indulgence in every cliché, every plot beat and surprise you'll have seen if you watched even a couple of those previous features. Not that it made the experience any less enjoyable as a result - far from it: this was a palette cleanser that knew what it was, what it wanted to be & had the budget to do so, playing it straight and with enough swagger to carry it all off. The slim running time also ensured it never outstayed its welcome. There were no nods, no winks to the audience that this was playing with a stale genre, just "old fashioned" (insofar as that term can be applied to 25 years ago) action entertainment for grown ups.

If I had one quibble, is that the script didn't really do as much with the key gimmick as I thought it could: the name and trailers emphasised a twist of locking down Manhattan & its titular bridges, whereas the final film didn't quite play with that potential toybox to the extent I had hoped. Still a fun time though.

Advertisement