Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dogs being carried on the DART

• 24-11-2019 3:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 80,989 ✭✭✭✭
    M

I've noticed recently a big increase in people carrying non guide dogs on the DART, almost a daily occurance. What's the story if you are bit by one, do you sue Irish Rail for allowing it to happen?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

you get over it and move on with your life

• Registered Users Posts: 80,989 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

But first the person who thinks it's ok should be arrested and fined €5k.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,703 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

How many people get bitten by non guide dogs annually on trains? Can't be a great number.
    I'd be more concerned about the two legged animals that make using public transport a misery for everyone else

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

One can once the dog is under control same on abus it's up to staff discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,155 ✭✭✭KaneToad

If you're the litigious type, I suppose you'd sue the dog owner....or the dog ..

Reminded me of this great website:

https://www.sadanduseless.com/avoiding-the-fine/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Irish Rail's somewhat confusing policy on dogs is explained (?) here: https://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/travelling-with-animals

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭cgcsb

You develop an utterly irrational fear and post on boards about it I suppose. You should try the red luas line where you're more likely to be bitten by a human/semi human

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Dogs are the least of your worries on the dart

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Irish Rail's somewhat confusing policy on dogs is explained (?) here: https://www.irishrail.ie/travel-information/travelling-with-animals

What's confusing about it? Seems pretty clear:-

Small lap dogs and guide/assistant dogs allowed.

Other dogs allowed in a receptacle if there's a guards van.

Anything else, not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

Why do people always think the worst, would you not think 'there's a lovely little/big dog how nice it is to see him out with his owner on this lovely day is'nt life wonderful'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,185 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

But first the person who thinks it's ok should be arrested and fined €5k.
    who merely *thinks* it's OK? jaysus, thoughtcrime.

GM228 wrote: »
    What's confusing about it? Seems pretty clear:-

Small lap dogs and guide/assistant dogs allowed.

Other dogs allowed in a receptacle if there's a guards van.

Anything else, not allowed.

There, you've proved my point - 23 words is all that's needed to cover it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭cgcsb

decky1 wrote: »
    Why do people always think the worst, would you not think 'there's a lovely little/big dog how nice it is to see him out with his owner on this lovely day is'nt life wonderful'

The dark minds of some only see misery and negativity though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,222 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

To be honest, if I sat next to a dog on the dart, I'd think it was the best dart journey ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,846 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

decky1 wrote: »

If I want to spend time with an animal, I'll go to a zoo or a farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,781 ✭✭✭Odelay

Misread the title. Thought it was “drugs being carried on dart”.

Odelay wrote: »
    Misread the title. Thought it was “drugs being transported on dart”.

Sadly they are and being partaken of too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Ireland has some of the weirdest attitudes to dogs compared to any other country I have visited.
    Its like half the country has some deep fear that all dogs are going to suddenly turn and start attacking in a desperate bid to take over the country. Maybe Irish dogs are different?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Pets drive me nuts sorry.

I dislike sharing my space with a hairy thing that thinks I love it. Or more to the point, the owner thinks that. As for cats....

Anyway I thought only Assistance dogs are allowed on Public Transport.

But it seems like anything goes these days and no one cares. Unless a ticket inspector gets you by the short and curlies that is!

This country has gone to the dogs. LOL.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,706 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

What would happen if a dog was to say urinate on the dart? It be tough to clean that up on a busy commute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

I would much prefer to sit beside a controlled dog in a bag than a scummy , shouty , off his head scumbag

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I see them more often indeed and I'm completely fine with it. It should be allowed with the "under effective control" caveat we already have in relevant legislation. Not everyone has a car and banning pets on public transport is a very unusual approach, why do we have it in the first place? You see them all over Europe and it's perfectly fine.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    What would happen if a dog was to say urinate on the dart? It be tough to clean that up on a busy commute.

Nearly every country in Europe (plus rest of world), would allow dogs on the train. Its not a big issue. Most responsible people train dogs, especially if they take them places. This means they dont go crapping in random places or biting people (unless some feral child goes pulling the ears of them).

Maybe in Ireland the training part doesnt happen so much and its easier to ban them? I dunno - just looking for reasons as its one of these things that is genuinely strange and you dont notice until you travel to other place.

Edit: tho - i'd say it be the same if someone dropped a can of coke, or something. A bit of a pain etc, but I suspect not many would be happy taking the dog on a packed commuter train anyway, because, well its a bit of a pain.

Charlie19 wrote: »

Extremely unlikely to happen with a housetrained dog. Even if it happened, there is a much bigger chance of the owner cleaning it up than there is of a soiled addict cleaning up after themselves and yet we allow them on trains.

I've noticed recently a big increase in people carrying non guide dogs on the DART, almost a daily occurance. What's the story if you are bit by one, do you sue Irish Rail for allowing it to happen?

Besides, what are you suing for? If you banged your elbow on a closing door, you gonna lawyer up?

What if a guide dog bites you? Or another person? Or a mouse? I got stung by a bee once, I think on a bus - what should I have done, called the solicitor?

Anyway - good post, gave me a chuckle! Keep it up.

you get over it and move on with your life

If you’re bitten by a dog? That would surely depend on how bad the injuries were. Strange flippancy there.

If you’re bitten by a dog? That would surely depend on how bad the injuries were. Strange flippancy there.

Its a hypothetical dog, not a wolf or a bear. How many people do you know thats been bitten severely by a dog thats with the owner?

My brother did once.. in 1988 (wasnt that bad, but he was a kid) - cant think of anyone since.

kenmm wrote: »
    Its a hypothetical dog, not a wolf or a bear. How many people do you know thats been bitten severely by a dog thats with the owner?

My brother did once.. in 1988 (wasnt that bad, but he was a kid) - cant think of anyone since.

You can’t be bitten by one that’s not there.

Well how do people walk the streets with all them dogs out there? If you're bitten by a dog who is with the owner you can sue the owner (for failing to control the dog) not the space you're in.

• Advertisement

:D

Its all a lie - I dont even have a brother!

Advertisement