Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Christmas

• 14-08-2019 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭

Emma Thompson and this woman https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bryony_Kimmings penned rom com directed by Paul Feig both good people

Emily is cute and the lead guy looks handsome but uecggh cynical women who works in xmas store learns to live and love again with help of mysterious stranger... are these films a bit old fashioned even Late Night which Thompson starred seemed a bit old fashioned

somewhat interesting parallel with Clarke's own lexperience of her aneurysms

supposedly based on the lyrics for last christmas but can't really see that from the trailer

this trailer is coming out very early

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,323 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

From what I have seen both Emilia Clarke and Henry Golding in the past, the two are void of charisma

• Registered Users Posts: 14,243 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,575 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

supposedly based on the lyrics for last christmas but can't really see that from the trailer

She's a heart transplant recipient so, and he's the brother of the donor, something something Burt Ward. This thing writes itself!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,650 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

"Featuring the music of George Michael!"

I Want Your Sex!
    Monkey!
    Jive Talkin'! (the pub quiz favourite)

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, The Bothy Band, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I can see the third act now where Emila Clarke's character suddenly takes umbrage at a justified portrayal of trust, burns the homeless shelter the ground and declares herself Prime Minister.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭kerplun k

Okay, so I’ve just watched that trailer. That guy is totally a ghost.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

This really fell flat for me, so underwhelming.
    I admit to not seeing the trailer prior to the movie but I had it pegged as a feel good romcom with a touch of drama Christmassy movie. There were major plot holes running through it and it was actually quite a depressing watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭El Duda

I haven't seen the film. I saw the trailer about a month ago...

The bloke is a ghost right? Didn't see that one coming

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭santana75

Saw this at the weekend and after reading wall to wall bad reviews I actually ended up liking it. Rolling stone, in particular, absolutely ripped it apart. Funniest review I've read in a long time though. To be fair to Paul Feig his response to Rolling stone was the epitome of Class, so hats off to him there. Mark Kermode thought it was awful aswell. So I went in with very low expectations and maybe this is why I liked it so much? Possible, but at the same time I genuinely think its a lot better than the reviews have made out. It does have its heart in the right place and I did come out feeling warm and fuzzy inside so it did its job. My prediction though is that in a years time or so, this will be re-appraised and fondly looked upon, by the public at very least, if not critics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

El Duda wrote: »
    I haven't seen the film. I saw the trailer about a month ago...

The bloke is a ghost right? Didn't see that one coming

Sing it with me for an extra clue "Last Christmas I gave..."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

It's completely harmless. It's perfect for being on in the background on Christmas day. Emilia Clarke is great though, she should be in more stuff, very charming and enjoyable screen presence. Golding is good but there's nothing to his character.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,247 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

A new movie takes its place as the worst film I've ever paid into a cinema to see. Apart from a few funny one-liners, this is truly a godawful film. Even my wife, who loves Christmas and Hallmark movies and for whom this should have been an early Christmas present, thought it was terrible. After seeing this it's hard to believe that Emma Thompson once actually won a Best Screenplay Oscar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

I thought it was very good, as the did the audience who saw it with me last Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

One of the cheeesiest film I've ever seen.

Audience at our screening laughed hard and loud at many scenes. Scenes which were supposed to be emotional and romantic but were cringe city.

If you don't like George Michael then I wouldn't bother going as it's not just Last Christmas, there must be 20 of his tracks throughout the film. Which as I quite liked him, actually made watching it somehow bearable.

Some funny moments here and there also tbf. Harmless enough film I guess, despite it not making an ounce of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

santana75 wrote: »
    My prediction though is that in a years time or so, this will be re-appraised and fondly looked upon, by the public at very least, if not critics.
    I think you might be right !

In my opinion the characters are memorable - even those who are more Panto-like: Santa, Boy, the Mother...
    I also liked the inclusion of Brexit and the homeless (this one links to the book).

Advertisement