Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dangerous parking Full Duck, Renmore

• 21-11-2019 6:29pm

I know this was highlighted last year sometime. And there was uproar over jobs and businesses being lost. Anyway I've noticed the above cafe is getting busier and since the mentioned uproar the parking has gotten lazier or more brazen probably. Anyway I seen a kid almost getting knocked down here a few days ago. Trying to cross the road at the side of the full duck, customers cars were parked almost the length from top to bottom of renmore park and all over the paths both sides of renmore road. A kid was crossing and cars coming both ways are trying to beat each other from one end to the next, poor visibility and too much speed.
    Wouldn't you think theyd have a bit of cop on, a lot of children cross these roads after school. And the owners have some responsibility too to the area in which they are based no?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,880 ✭✭✭✭zell12

But we elect people who almost endorse this law-breaking
    plus it's a severe rat run
    https://www.advertiser.ie/Galway/article/106991/renmore-parking-restrictions-could-threaten-businesses-warns-oflaherty

zell12 wrote: »
    But we elect people who almost endorse this law-breaking
    plus it's a severe rat run
    https://www.advertiser.ie/Galway/article/106991/renmore-parking-restrictions-could-threaten-businesses-warns-oflaherty

True, almost pointless to protest so.
    Cash is king I suppose.

Worth calling the Council tomorrow and highlight it to wardens. Otherwise they might say they don't get any feedback.
    It's their footpath, their responsibility to safeguard the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

True, almost pointless to protest so.
    Cash is king I suppose.

I'd be taking some video footage of it, and tagging ths Full Duck's Facebook page in to it: for what is supposedly a "neighbourhood cafe" there-s a lot of people arriving by car.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

It could also be people visiting the Bons - the car park is rammed full most days now since the church closed pedestrian access - a lot of staff used to park in the church car park and walk through. Now they are parking in the hospital car park and there is very little room for patients and visitors at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,197 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

At the end of the day, the parking situation has nothing to do with the business. It's not their responsibility. The responsibility bears solely with the driver of the car, simple as.

Up to Wardens to enforce illegal parking.... let us know what the Council response is when you report the issue to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

No harm emailing all your councillors and any local TDs about this kind of thing.

JohnCleary wrote: »
    At the end of the day, the parking situation has nothing to do with the business. It's not their responsibility. The responsibility bears solely with the driver of the car, simple as.

Up to Wardens to enforce illegal parking.... let us know what the Council response is when you report the issue to them.

In general, that's correct.

But in this case, the last time the council tried to make changes to make the road safer (ie just improve, not even enforce) the cafe unleashed a major PR offensive which included getting local councillors on their side, significant media exposure and advertising that they were being forced to offer off-site valet parking. It was a truckload of free publcity for the (oh-poor-me) small business, and a very bad look for the council who were trying to do the right thing by residents who had complained.

In general, that's correct.

But in this case, the last time the council tried to make changes to make the road safer (ie just improve, not even enforce) the cafe unleashed a major PR offensive which included getting local councillors on their side, significant media exposure and advertising that they were being forced to offer off-site valet parking. It was a truckload of free publcity for the (oh-poor-me) small business, and a very bad look for the council who were trying to do the right thing by residents who had complained.

Fair point.

But, fcuk that. If it's a safety concern, get the wardens out and start issuing tickets.

Illegal parking is illegal parking, simple as.

As an owner of various businesses, i'm obviously very pro business, however, rules are rules. It's a dose when I can't get parking in town to visit clients, so I park out of the way and, heaven forbid, walk the few hundred metres.

JohnCleary wrote: »

Ill let you know.
    I have gotten on to the council and TDs..
    Terry o flatherty was emailed unknown to me that she was part of the campaign mentioned below when the issue was raised. Her response was it's busy when schools finish after lunch and the kids should use the pedestrian crossing (eye roll)
    There must be some responsibility on the owners too though it's not a city cafe in which they are based, it's a community and if you took a drive around at lunchtime or after school youd see the mess that it is.

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »
    It could also be people visiting the Bons - the car park is rammed full most days now since the church closed pedestrian access - a lot of staff used to park in the church car park and walk through. Now they are parking in the hospital car park and there is very little room for patients and visitors at times.

It's very unlikely
    That's another issue
    They park the length of the road to the side of the Bons opposite the church

Ill let you know.
    Terry o flatherty was emailed unknown to me that she was part of the campaign mentioned below when the issue was raised. Her response was it's busy when schools finish after lunch and the kids should use the pedestrian crossing (eye roll)
    There must be some responsibility on the owners too though it's not a city cafe in which they are based, it's a community and if you took a drive around at lunchtime or after school youd see the mess that it is.

Legally, no.

It is solely up to the driver of a vehicle to park in a legal manner (Irresponsible parking may still be legal, though).

If the vehicle is parked ON the footpath or on double-yellow lines, it's illegal.

Ill let you know.
    There must be some responsibility on the owners too though it's not a city cafe in which they are based,

Indeed. But the community will need to use the right levers to encourage them.

I'd suggest finding their planning application on the City Council website, and seeing what conditions were attached to their operation.

Well you can't blame the cafe for attracting illegal anti-social activity to the area. btw that cafe is also popular with those down the road in garda HQ. Seen the armed support unit ignoring all the stoopid parking there whilst supping tae.

This is what happens when the Council do their job
    https://connachttribune.ie/cafe-a-sitting-duck-for-traffic-wardens-600/

Based on similarly located enterprises elsewhere, I'd say nothing will happen.

Advertisement