Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

HGV overtaking on motorway

• 21-11-2019 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭

I was on the N2 this morning and doing 100kmph with cruise control keeping it there. It was raining and traffic was decent and moving well. I seen lights as someone in the overtaking lane was passing me. Couldn’t believe it was a HGV. He seemed to be fine passing by as in he wasn’t struggling to pass me. He then returned to the inside lane in front of me but only for about 30 seconds as he then decided to over take the car he’d gone in behind. I was able to keep my 100kmph cruising speed throughout but I was a bit taken aback by this guy. It was a northern reg.

Is there not supposed to be speed restricters on these vehicles and does anyone know have they a different speed limit because of their size and weight? He had to be doing 120 to overtake me doing 100. If he’d lost control it would have been absolute carnage.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Limit is 90 on motorways, and they aren't allowed in the outside lane in motorways either. Limiter has to be there at 90 on Irish registered vehicles and 56mph which is much the same on UK ones.

UK drivers will feign ignorance of the outside lane rules but that doesn't absolve them!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 sandrat

I thought it was a bad idea to use cruise control in the rain?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Infernal Racket

sandrat wrote: »
    I thought it was a bad idea to use cruise control in the rain?

It is. If he lost control it would be absolute cornage

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

Gerry G wrote: »

It is - on very old tech vehicles where the cruise setup is basic, nothing to worry about with a modern car that has tcs and such

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

anyone who believes any of those limiters is remotely accurate is kidding themselves IMO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,583 ✭✭✭chooseusername

L1011 wrote: »
    Limit is 90 on motorways, and they aren't allowed in the outside lane in motorways either. Limiter has to be there at 90 on Irish registered vehicles and 56mph which is much the same on UK ones.

UK drivers will feign ignorance of the outside lane rules but that doesn't absolve them!
    He doesn't say he was in the outermost lane , just the overtaking lane.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i assume he was on a two lane stretch; the M2 is two lanes for the considerable majority of the road.

i assume he was on a two lane stretch; the M2 is two lanes for the considerable majority of the road.
    In which case , is he not allowed to use the overtaking lane?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

In which case , is not allowed to use the overtaking lane?

no

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

L1011 wrote: »

Quite a few of the overtaking trucks I see on the M1 are northern reg. They are usually the primary cause of sudden brake light tailbacks and I can't say they are anywhere near 90kph.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

N2 or M2?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,772 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

no

What? So no HGV can ever overtake another slower vehicle? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    What? So no HGV can ever overtake another slower vehicle? :confused:

That is correct, vehicles limited to 90km/h or less are not permitted to enter the right most lane of a motorway except in an emergency or obstruction.

See the Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations 1997 S33 (1)(d) as amended by the Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) (Amendment) Regulations 2012:-
    Rules for Traffic on Motorways

33 (1) A driver on a motorway shall not—

(d) drive a vehicle of a class for which an ordinary speed limit of not more than 90 kilometres per hour is prescribed by regulations under section 3 and 4 of the Road Traffic Act, 2004in the traffic lane nearest the right hand edge of a carriageway having more than one traffic lane except where it is necessary to proceed in that lane due to an obstruction or because another lane or lanes is or are for the time being closed to traffic.

And no, slow moving traffic is not an obstruction.

no
    You got in before I could edit,Cookie

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭eusap

which also means on a 3 lane road they can use lane 1 & 2

GM228 wrote: »
    That is correct, vehicles limited to 90km/h or less are not permitted to enter the right most lane of a motorway except in an emergency or obstruction.

See the Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) Regulations 1997 S33 (1)(d) as amended by the Road Traffic (Traffic and Parking) (Amendment) Regulations 2012:-

Well, I stand corrected, thank you!

Always thought that applied to three lane carriageways, but not two.

That's motorways, though, does the same apply on non-motorways?

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Well, I stand corrected, thank you!

Always thought that applied to three lane carriageways, but not two.

That's motorways, though, does the same apply on non-motorways?

Only applies to the right most lane of motorways.

eusap wrote: »
    which also means on a 3 lane road they can use lane 1 & 2
    I realise now I had it backwards in my head. More coffee required.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,855 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

The OP said N2 thought so the HGV can use the overtaking lane.

Why do motorists think that cyclists and tractors, slow moving traffic, are an obstruction that can be passed on continuous white lines yet slow moving vehicles aren't on a motorway aren't when trucks when to overtake?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,228 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

ted1 wrote: »
    N2 or M2?
    yeah, this can be confusing - leaving the M50 nortbound on this road, it's the N2 for the first roughly 4km, then turns into the M2 for the next 12km or so, before reverting to the N2 just north of Ashbourne. for most of that first 4km of it being the N2, it's 3 lanes, but drops to two when it becomes the M2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Sorry guys it was the M2 not the N2. It was two lane stretch not 3 and it’s not an old basic cruise control system. I was driving extremely carefully 😂🀣😂🀣

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭McCrack

Op if your speedometer was reading 100 you were likely doing 92/93 in real terms

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

McCrack wrote: »
    Op if your speedometer was reading 100 you were likely doing 92/93 in real terms

Only on a needle speedo. Digital ones are going to be 98/99.

And anyway, all are above the 90km/h the truck should be limited to.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,221 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Gerry G wrote: »

D4 carnage?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Only applies to the right most lane of motorways.
    ....and only where the speed limit of the motorway is above 80km/h. Otherwise they may use any lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭JC01

Your indicated 100k in your car is probably actually 85--95k in reality.

The HGV has a calibrated tachometer that accurately limits him. That discrepancy in displayed vs actual speed is the reason he could overtake you.

JC01 wrote: »
    Your indicated 100k in your car is probably actually 85--95k in reality.

85 would be illegally out of spec and 95 would be a bad needle speedo.

100 on a digital, which most cars with cruise have, is 98-100

The truck was breaking the law in the outer lane and almost certainly speeding also - your scenario is implausible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

my car with digital speedo is 4% out. thus 100km/h is 104 on the dash.(or thereabouts)

10% out is implausible on a modern vehicle.

....and only where the speed limit of the motorway is above 80km/h. Otherwise they may use any lane.

No they can't, the prohibition is not subject to a minimum motorway speed limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,948 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

No they can't, the prohibition is not subject to a minimum motorway speed limit.
    There are some sections where a truck must be in the rightmost lane - hence the reason why it doesn't apply to motorways where the limit is 80km/h or less.

I'd be interested in how you would bring a truck to Dublin Airport from the M1 southbound without using the right lane as one must enter the motorway on the right lane on the section towards the airport.

Further southbound, a truck entering the DPT make legally access it on the rightmost lane. Similarly, a truck may legally exit the DPT heading north on the rightmost lane.

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to why you think the prohibition is not subject to speed limits.

Advertisement