Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CM Punk Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I'm the same with plenty of other actors and so forth.

For instance, I absolutely despise Tom Cruise and the whole Scientology stuff.

But bloody hell, he makes some brilliant action films.

Main issue here is technically, he's a FOX employee, not a WWE employee. So they've put him onto a FOX show as the FOX representitive.

On the other hand, I think the short term is poor but the long term could be interesting. He's going to be interacting week after week with other wrestlers, many of whom will be prodding him in hopes they can generate potential stories with him. There'll be weeks if not months now of wondering when he'll jump back into things, discussing who his feuds will be, etc. And I'd bet he'll add gas to that fire every chance he gets too.

Its unusual for WWE cause they usually hot shot these sorts of returns, and burn them out after a week or two. This one, they are being forced to have a long term build for whatever direction it goes.

The Rumble will be a big issue for them in that way; people will convince themselves he's entering. If he doesn't, will the crowd turn.

The Rumble is an easy one to handle I think. Have his music hit as the first or second entrant to a huge pop, and Baron Corbin walks out instead laughing his arse off, cuts a promo about how the crowd are gullible and all of a sudden the focus is on him, not Punk.

If he actually did come back at the Rumble, I’d want to see the exact same thing happen, with Punk coming out at number 30 and throwing him over the top rope for the win.

It’s really simple stuff but it’ll work.

I still don’t see him coming back to a full schedule myself, I think he does a Mania or two and all the evil Saudi shows for a couple of years and he’ll be on his way again. That’s more than I expected of him a couple of months ago to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,929 ✭✭✭Monokne

martyos121 wrote: »

I still don’t see him coming back to a full schedule myself, I think he does a Mania or two and all the evil Saudi shows for a couple of years and he’ll be on his way again. That’s more than I expected of him a couple of months ago to be fair.

Definitely won't be back full time.

He stated in an interview he would not wrestle in Saudi Arabia. Money talks, but I suspect he may stick to that. The company has not tried to coerce any of the others who've refused.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,332 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Monokne wrote: »
    Definitely won't be back full time.

He stated in an interview he would not wrestle in Saudi Arabia. Money talks, but I suspect he may stick to that. The company has not tried to coerce any of the others who've refused.

Yeah saw that quote from him about the Saudi shows, still not convinced he’ll stick to his guns on that but I can accept and understand why anyone would steer well clear of it all the same.

He’s hugely motivated by money though, that’s pretty clear by all accounts I think it’s fair to say, so it really depends what price he puts on his values. I personally think the Saudis will top it, whatever it may be.

Getting ahead of ourselves a little with all this Saudi chat anyway, he’ll probably return in time for Mania season 2021 if not early next year and it’s anyone’s guess how things will develop from there. That Saudi partnership could last for another decade or it could be ended very abruptly for any number of reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

He is absolutely back for the Saudi money. Same with Edge down the line, watch.

Last year Jericho said he received one of his biggest paychecks for working 5 minutes in the Greatest Royal Rumble. I bet that widened the eyes of lots of wrestlers and MMA guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

If anything, he's looking pretty lean and would need to add a bit of size before any possible Mania appearance. 2021 is most likely.

• Advertisement

The reason I suspect he won't go to Saudi is because he can earn huge money from them doing other shows. It's not like Saudi is his only option.

I don't rule out the possibility though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭2pacshakur

If anything, he's looking pretty lean and would need to add a bit of size before any possible Mania appearance. 2021 is most likely.

2021 your having a laugh. couple of months in the gym on the right diet and he'll back to himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,001 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

2pacshakur wrote: »
    2021 your having a laugh. couple of months in the gym on the right diet and he'll back to himself.

The right “diet”. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 60,274 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

J. Marston wrote: »
    He is absolutely back for the Saudi money. Same with Edge down the line, watch.

Last year Jericho said he received one of his biggest paychecks for working 5 minutes in the Greatest Royal Rumble. I bet that widened the eyes of lots of wrestlers and MMA guys.

When Fury is getting £12m for going over you can see the crazy money on offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

You aren't expected to even perform at a high level either, just appearing is enough for the fat cheque to clear. You ain't getting that money to work WrestleMania that's for sure.

• Advertisement

That's a gimmick number, like Floyd and the $20 mill in 2008. I am sure he got 7 figures mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,786 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

How honest is Punk expected to be? I'm sure if he starts, they'll try to steer him away.
    I don't watch this show, but is it like Talking Smack or is it more of a clip show and discussing what a great week they had?

The novelty of Punk just talking will wear off pretty quickly.

Even is reintroduction clip is annoying as fcuk to me.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

If anyone watched his sit down interview with Renne on last nights backstage I really get the feeling he won’t be Back wrestling. I say he’s happy taking fox’s money for a handy non travelling gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Loughc wrote: »
    If anyone watched his sit down interview with Renne on last nights backstage I really get the feeling he won’t be Back wrestling. I say he’s happy taking fox’s money for a handy non travelling gig.

I watched it. He literally said and I quote “never say never” I’m not sure how you took he won’t be back from that!

He wasn’t going to come out and say “yeah it’s my ambition to get back and I’ll basically do it for free once Vince gives me a call” He will let WWE come crawling to him while the Brinks Money van, filled with those bits of paper with dead presidents on them, backs up to his house

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Punk was asked about whether he is going to be returning to WWE TV to wrestle, given that Survivor Series is in Chicago. He says that while you never say no, it is not something he is pursuing or interested in and that he has had zero contact with WWE officials. Punk added that there are still significant bridges to be rebuilt.

Punk talked about his role on WWE Backstage, stressing that his relationship is with FOX and not WWE. He explained that after six years, he felt it was a good fit being able to talk about the business and criticize it without having to face any repercussions like being jobbed or fired. He will talk about the good stuff and the bad stuff, which some people in the industry won't like.

That’s what I took from he won’t be back. I think people want him back so much they forget what he went through at the end and just how bitter he became.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,396 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Taken from Reddit. A summary of his first episode of Backstage.

- Reiterated his contract is only with FOX and has talked with no one from WWE aside from those on the show.
    - Never say never on a return to the ring as he's 41 and experienced enough to know not to say no. Says bridge building the size of the great wall would be necessary.
    - Believes all of pro wrestling could be better if there is less overproduction, micromanaging, and let wrestlers be themselves.
    - Only like 10-12 people knew about it including Renee and his wife in his inner circle. Mentioned Jim Ross as some one still in his inner circle as they still text.
    - He legitimately had butterflies in his stomach coming back, he said it's the first time he's truly felt something like that in a long time which makes him feel like it was the right move. Said he felt nothing before his match with Taker at Mania and would have rather continued talking to AJ behind the curtain. (He also stated this in the Cabana podcast.) He got more feeling before this than that.
    - When asked what he likes in wrestling he stated the women. But, said he hated the women's revolution label. Stop placing a hashtag on things as the women kick ass, so let them go out there and kick ass. Also picked NXT. Said he knows what it's like to be an indy guy and get told you won't make it on t.v. so he relates to those guys. Said people like them because they are fresh new toys who haven't been tainted by the business yet. (Overexposed.)

Promo school:
    - Gave David Arquette an F- on his promo and stated after David attacked his MMA career, he shouldn't have backed down from it and really laid in to him and called him a bum as it's real life and it happened, he accepts it.
    - Stated it felt more like a battle rap and less like a promo school. He seemed disappointed.

Survivor series Discussion:
    - Big dog segment from SD was trash creative and he jokingly stated it made him regret coming back. Said he wasn't familiar with Corbin. Got Paige to agree.
    - Mocked the blue belt. Paige agreed again.
    - Thought the Brock/Mysterio match would be a diamond in the rough and believes with the Chicago crowd it will be elevated.

Punk/Renee talk Seth Rollins challenging Punk:
    - Punk stated this wasn't the place for Seth to shoot his little angles.
    - Stated Seth's best bet to get his edge back is to just stop tweeting. Delete Twitter Seth.
    - Renee dances around the Shield and refers to Roman/Seth as those Shield guys. Punk asks her who her favorite shield guy is referring to Ambrose/Moxley.
    - Believes Seth/Roman are the top guys but being overexposed has turned the fans on them. Tough to find creative ways to reinvent yourself when your as overexposed as they are.

Social Media Smackdown:
    - CM Punk cuts a good promo on Tom Arnold who trash talked him on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭briany

I hope he's on Backstage as often as he can be. The weird mixture of nervous amusement he elicits when he says something critical is absolutely hilarious. It's like, "Ooooooooh, no you didn't!" (side glance to camera as if to say, "Please, Vince. I in no way endorse what was just said.")

Saying the Brock/Mysterio match could be a diamond in the rough is a bold call lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭LibSuperstar

It very well could be. Reportedly Lesnar gives good matches to guys he respects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

His best matches in the last couple years have always been against the smaller guys, David vs Goliath suits him

AJ Styles, Daniel Bryan, Finn Balor and CM Punk are his best singles matches since his return, it was against other big guys like Roman and Braun that the matches were a bit drab

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭RollieFingers

briany wrote: »
    I hope he's on Backstage as often as he can be. The weird mixture of nervous amusement he elicits when he says something critical is absolutely hilarious. It's like, "Ooooooooh, no you didn't!" (side glance to camera as if to say, "Please, Vince. I in no way endorse what was just said.")

Is he going to actually air legitimate criticisms though? Like would he mention the Saudi shows, the ACH episode etc., or is it going to be more along the lines of him saying 'wrestling' instead of 'sports entertainment', or call the titles 'belts' etc., and everyone will say that's really edgy. I'd be interested in tuning in if it was the former.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

It very well could be. Reportedly Lesnar gives good matches to guys he respects.

I mean, it's not just reportedly... he has done just that many times in fairness to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭briany

Is he going to actually air legitimate criticisms though? Like would he mention the Saudi shows, the ACH episode etc., or is it going to be more along the lines of him saying 'wrestling' instead of 'sports entertainment', or call the titles 'belts' etc., and everyone will say that's really edgy. I'd be interested in tuning in if it was the former.

If he starts going off on Saudi Arabia or any sort of racism, it could make FOX just as nervous as WWE. They're both sensitive issues in the wider American media.

Just sticking it to the televised product would be fine, and would do well among the many disaffected fans of the organisation.

Don't forget Disney now own FOX so nothing really controversial is going to be said that will look bad on the house of Mouse.

Seth replayed to Punk saying he should stop tweeting by calling him a Coward.

Who say Kayfabe and working the fans is dead.

https://twitter.com/WWERollins/status/1197018463954444289

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭ThePott

I believe technically FS1 was not part of the Disney deal. The broadcast wing and the non-regional Sports channels are an independent company run by 21st Century Fox's shareholders. Not that it makes any real difference.

I don't think Punk is going to say anything too controversial anyway. He's making money for old rope doing this gig and a lot of money apparently. Not to mention that he his hot takes this episode weren't exactly that controversial. I don't think he's going to follow the product closely enough or burn any bridges to the extent people are hoping for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 58 ✭✭2pacshakur

He’s back five minutes and has not most interesting feud in wwe for the last year.

CM Punk is a boss

• Registered Users Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Just waiting for Rollins to take the piss out of the MMA. All hell will break loose then. Punk's fanboys will go rabid.

• Advertisement

I like the Rollins - Punk dynamic so far. Sure, Triple H is a ready made match, but Seth has sort of organically become this company man over the past year with the Ospreay argument, the comments about Kenny & calling AEW the minor league. Punk as returning saviour against him is a good way to go.

Advertisement