Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Our Greater London Megathread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Hi guys. Searched a bit but found mostly really old trends on the subject. Am looking to travel to London from 21st-23rd Oct with my boyfriend. Been searching online but there are so many options and mixed reviews. It's so hard! Neither of us have ever been before. Looking to do all the usual tourist stuff. Flying into Gatwick or Stansted I think. We were looking at the Ibis Budget Hotel Wembley. Really good price. Would that be a good area?

If not, does anyone have any suggestions of comfortable, clean, budget hotels that are well connected to public transport? Don't mind being a bit out of the centre. Budget is around 150euro.

I'd go with my usual reliable, Premier Inn Croydon Town Centre. Coming in well under your budget for those dates. It seems a bit out but the transport connections work great. 15 minutes from Gatwick by train, and then 3 minutes walk to the hotel. Very frequent trains from East Croydon to Victoria or London Bridge 15 minutes a piece. And no ****ing about if your return flight is in the first half of the day - check out, hop on the train and you're in Gatwick in jig time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,465 ✭✭✭highlydebased

The Ibis in Wembley is pretty much in Wembley Park which is currently a massive building site. There is a small shopping centre there (The LDO) and it's a well connected spot. Wembley High Road is a bit on the gritty side but you wouldn't be stuck for anything there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Credit Checker Moose

Premier Inn Croydon Town Centre
    I shall note that for future use. Thanks very much.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

I haven't ever used Airbnb but I think i would. I'll have a proper look into that.

That's good to know. Planning to most of our transport by tube or bus so just looking for anywhere well connected and not too far. We've seen places pop up in Hounslow, Croydon, and Ilford but they all look quite far away when I check on Google maps? I genuinely know next to nothing about the various areas so any help is so appreciated.

I wouldn't stay in any of those spots if I was only coming for a weekend
    Wembley is just about ok as it is right on the met line so quick enough (half hour) into town but even so you don't want to spend half the weekend on the underground. That said, there is a premier inn right by wembley park station and a great turkish kebab place a few doors down

It also depends on where you are flying into really, if you are coming into gatwick then look at somewhere on the train line back to gatwick croydon inwards towards the city, I don't really know that part of london that well

Personally I would look around kings cross, there's the usual array of budget hotels there, premier inn, travelodge etc..
    Also the train to Luton airport goes from there...

Likewise, if coming to stansted look around liverpool street, shoreditch, spitalfields
    Basically you want to spend the least amount of time travelling and the most amount seeing stuff, so getting a hotel that is on route to and from the airport is a big plus in my view.

London is very expensive hotelwise though so as suggested elsewhere do look at air bnb's too.
    I haven't used it here but have used them loads in Europe and elsewhere in the UK and generally found them to be excellent

Sorry just seen the budget, I suspect staying in the city centre might be too pricey, Croydon option is probably the wisest if you don't mind the travel in and out while you aer here :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭turbowolfed

Found a lovely looking Airbnb in Southwark in the end so we went with that. Seems handy enough transport wise its 5 mins from Elephant and Castle station. Clocked in at 98euro for two nights. Thanks for all the tips guys!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,175 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Found a lovely looking Airbnb in Southwark in the end so we went with that. Seems handy enough transport wise its 5 mins from Elephant and Castle station. Clocked in at 98euro for two nights. Thanks for all the tips guys!

That seems very cheap so I would assume Walworth Road side of The Elephant. Keep your eyes open, better to get a cab back direct to apartment late at night, ie not tube or bus and don’t walk on street after 11pm. (And before anyone bitches, I lived around there - the nicer end - for 12 years).

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭turbowolfed

Marcusm wrote: »
    That seems very cheap so I would assume Walworth Road side of The Elephant. Keep your eyes open, better to get a cab back direct to apartment late at night, ie not tube or bus and don’t walk on street after 11pm. (And before anyone bitches, I lived around there - the nicer end - for 12 years).

Thanks for the advice. I think it is around there. Much appreciated.

Great spot near E&C station for hipster style food and drinks

https://www.mercatometropolitano.com/

My Mrs used to work down that way, a few happy days and evenings spent there

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭sapper

Just recently booked an overnight trip to London for me and my daughter for a long promised trip to the Harry Potter show in the west end. Didn’t want her to miss school or me too much work so booked the Friday of the midterm school holiday Nov 1. Tickets and flights booked and paid for.

Just realised that this could be very well be Brexit day 1... Gah! Have I just signed up for a travel nightmare or will it all just be business as usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭Allinall

sapper wrote: »
    Just recently booked an overnight trip to London for me and my daughter for a long promised trip to the Harry Potter show in the west end. Didn’t want her to miss school or me too much work so booked the Friday of the midterm school holiday Nov 1. Tickets and flights booked and paid for.

Just realised that this could be very well be Brexit day 1... Gah! Have I just signed up for a travel nightmare or will it all just be business as usual?

Business as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Business as usual but expect protests etc on the streets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭grimm2005

Should be totally fine in terms of travel as I think there are contingency plans in case of a no deal Brexit in both EU and UK side in terms of air travel but even so, the CTA will still be in effect regardless and as an Irish citizen you retain the right to travel between UK and Ireland without checks. At worst there might be a bit of tense atmosphere and likely large scale protests but for the purposes of your visit I wouldn't imagine anything too crazy, except maybe some fantastic exchange rates....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Berserker

sapper wrote: »

Guessing that you are travelling from Dublin or Ireland. You should be fine in that case. The CTA will be in place, so it should be no different. IF, big if, the CTA is scrapped, it could be a very awkward day. Will be protests, potentially violent, on the streets of London that day, if Brexit doesn't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

Make sure to bring your passports though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Flying end of November to USA connecting through Heathrow

BA - DUB - LHR
    AA - LHR - LAX
    BA - YVR - LHR
    BA - LHR - DUB

Will there be any issue if brexit goes ahead with flights or possibly require visa for UK etc ?

Also any car hire recommendation for LAX - SEATAC also welcome ! (Had a F150 pickup last time from Vegas , wouldn't mind something similar again !)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Will there be any issue if brexit goes ahead with flights or possibly require visa for UK etc ?

Just because you're connecting through the UK doesn't mean you'll be subject to any new rules. It's your passport that counts, not where you're coming from. When you land in the US, you'll end up in the same immigration queue as people from all sorts of places - EU, non-EU European countries, Africa, Asia etc.

Besides which, the US visa waiver program does not require the UK to be in the EU. There are lots of non-EU counties like South Korea, New Zealand and Singapore in the program so Brexit will have no effect on entry requirements, whether you're travelling on an Irish or UK passport.

coylemj wrote: »
    Just because you're connecting through the UK doesn't mean you'll be subject to any new rules. It's your passport that counts, not where you're coming from. When you land in the US, you'll end up in the same immigration queue as people from all sorts of places - EU, non-EU European countries, Africa, Asia etc.

Besides which, the US visa waiver program does not require the UK to be in the EU. There are lots of non-EU counties like South Korea, New Zealand and Singapore in the program so Brexit will have no effect on entry requirements, whether you're travelling on an Irish or UK passport.

I do understand for the states side it'll be business as usual.

It was just the UK end concerning.

For example if you need a visa to go to the UK after brexit even if just connecting through an airport. That's kind of more my concern !

Cheers for your reply

• Registered Users Posts: 25,308 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

For example if you need a visa to go to the UK after brexit even if just connecting through an airport. That's kind of more my concern !

You will not need a visa to enter the UK on an Irish passport after Brexit. If you did, the UK would have to double the number of staff in the Ballsbridge embassy to deal with thousands of applications every day and what would be the point?

Even if they allowed visa-free travel but required every Irish person to show his/her passport, that would require that they suddenly hire dozens of extra staff in Luton and Stanstead airports and Aer Lingus flights to Heathrow would have to be diverted from T2 to a terminal with passport lanes.

Won't happen.

coylemj wrote: »
    You will not need a visa to enter the UK on an Irish passport after Brexit. If you did, the UK would have to double the number of staff in the Ballsbridge embassy to deal with thousands of applications every day and what would be the point?

Even if they allowed visa-free travel but required every Irish person to show his/her passport, that would require that they suddenly hire dozens of extra staff in Luton and Stanstead airports.

Won't happen.

To us that makes perfect sense.... Just a shame brexit is such a cluster fck that have to wonder these things.

I'm hopeful it will go fine without issue like you say, I just wanted to ask anyway just incase I miss anything !

Cheers again !

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

I would say what applies to everything concerning what could happen after Brexit: no one really knows.

As for what the car rental is concerned, I would recommend going direct through one of the major players (Hertz, National, Alamo, Avis,...) as they will let you choose which car you want from a certain class. This is not always the case when going through a third party.

Last time I was in LA, I used Alamo and could take my pick out of 20+ cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭shovel

Hi.
    I've been to london a few times over the years and stayed with relations .
    This trip, the relations are not an option so I'm asking for recommendations on where to stay in london on a budget.
    Just myself and my teenage son ("he wants to look around").
    We're flying into stansted.
    Based on the ground connections from stansted,what area of london would you suggest to stay
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

We stayed in a premier inn at tower bridge and it was super . Very central and convenient to everywhere . Great location and good price

• Registered Users Posts: 9,527 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

shovel wrote: »
    Hi.
    I've been to london a few times over the years and stayed with relations .
    This trip, the relations are not an option so I'm asking for recommendations on where to stay in london on a budget.
    Just myself and my teenage son ("he wants to look around").
    We're flying into stansted.
    Based on the ground connections from stansted,what area of london would you suggest to stay
    TIA

Based on personal experience I'd suggest Tottenham Hale (Premier Inn) or Stratford (Premier Inn, Travelodge, or Holiday Inn Express).

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Sorry to sound snobby but why is it that all hotels in all the main cities outside London look like inner Dublin council flats, how on earth can people justify to stay in them

• Registered Users Posts: 7,379 ✭✭✭Trampas

Anyone recommend hotel or apartment for 2 weekend nights for family of 4. 2 kids under 5 so prefer an apartment if possible so not in bed at 8pm reading a book because can’t turn on a tv.

Be heading from Heathrow, Gatwick or city.

Don’t mind paying 200 odd a night if place is worth it. Location as central a possible as seems less wouldn’t get me much

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭anne burnell

Check out premier inn at tower bridge

Trampas wrote: »
    Anyone recommend hotel or apartment for 2 weekend nights for family of 4. 2 kids under 5 so prefer an apartment if possible so not in bed at 8pm reading a book because can’t turn on a tv.

Don’t mind paying 200 odd a night if place is worth it. Location as central a possible as seems less wouldn’t get me much

Thanks

If you are after an apartment I would have a look at Airbnb

• Registered Users Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Trampas wrote: »

Thanks
    Those 3 airports are quite far apart and the transport options differ, so depends on which you are using. City by far the easiest (and most expensive usually)

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

I have to fly to Tirana (Albania) via Gatwick.

EI flight land in the South Terminal @ 12.20pm

BA flight due to leave from the South Terminal @ 13.30pm

Is it too tight or do I just walk from one gate to another? It's on a Sunday lunchtime. Hand luggage only

Cheers..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,407 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

There's usually some sort of delay coming into busy Gatwick airspace, so assuming your flight lands on time, i'd let the cabin crew know you have to run for another flight and see if you can disembark first...however, you'll still have to wait for the Bus to take you to the terminal, then exit, cross the landside terminal and back in through security and out to the gates, which could be at the end of the pier..

All in less than 1 hour as the flight is leaving at 1.30pm, so boarding would close around 12.50pm..

Advertisement